IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

To me, the main problem is the lack of personality. This is an album that, honestly, anyone can do.
Well what exactly do you mean by personality? Anders or the music? On CC Anders basically screamed through the whole record angrily.

Also, you can't deny that Anders sounds good, or to find a middle ground, better than... in a long time.

That's just my opinion. Yours could be totally different.

It won't be.

I've heard enough of this to know it's gonna be cheap radiofriendly shit.

Oh, I can go with radiofriendly. Ghost is radiofriendly, but Anders wankery with bearded dude wahing away for 15 seconds on 2/3 of the songs lenght... nah.

So, I gave SOAPF 7.5-8/10 and it held that level over years. I gave SC an optimistic 5-6/10, but after first few weeks it was more like 4/10. I guess this one will be similar.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Wallflower really nice too. Really like that part in the song that starts at 4:30, really nice progression there. The string section or whatever it is, then that ''videogame'' electro beat along with that solo, really nice. I like the electronic/keyboard parts a lot on this album, they aren't too much, and they aren't missing either.

Fuck I REALLY like Greatest Greed. One of the coolest riff on the record so far, and I know many people probably hate that chorus with the ''oooooh'' part, it's really typical "mainstream" metal/rock such as Bring Me The Horizon. But I'm used to that stuff and actually quite like it as long as it's not everywhere in every song. I thought it worked out good in this song, really catchy stuff.

Reactions: Jester Slave
Wallflower really nice too. Really like that part in the song that starts at 4:30, really nice progression there. The string section or whatever it is, then that ''videogame'' electro beat along with that solo, really nice. I like the electronic/keyboard parts a lot on this album, they aren't too much, and they aren't missing either.
My favorite choir is on Before I Fall, fits really fucking nicely, gives the song such a nice boost.

Fuck I REALLY like Greatest Greed. One of the coolest riff on the record so far, and I know many people probably hate that chorus with the ''oooooh'' part, it's really typical "mainstream" metal/rock such as Bring Me The Horizon. But I'm used to that stuff and actually quite like it as long as it's not everywhere in every song. I thought it worked out good in this song, really catchy stuff.
The chorus starts out weak, but by the end of the song - probably thanks to Mr Howard-sama - they did a stellar job of making it catchy as fuck.

Us Against The World, also another great song. A lot of contrasts in the song. I like the ''happy'' riff in the intro going into the thrashy verse riff and then the chorus. Very punky song.

First listen of the album: A few songs that are just average, a bunch good songs and a few really good songs so far. When I get used to the vocals I'm sure it will get better. Will be perfect music at work and while chilling at home and such for sure.

Well what exactly do you mean by personality? Anders or the music? On CC Anders basically screamed through the whole record angrily.

Also, you can't deny that Anders sounds good, or to find a middle ground, better than... in a long time.
Both. A personality of their own, a character that tells, we are IF (or whatever other band).

I don't care at all how Anders sounds at the studio.

Last edited:
Listening now. I'm at track 12 at the moment (Save me) and honestly It's not the IF I know and love. Some good moments here and there but overall it's just ok.

Listening now. I'm at track 12 at the moment (Save me) and honestly It's not the IF I know and love. Some good moments here and there but overall it's just ok.

This is probably the best way to put it. The album is catchy and is not bad, the problem is that most of the songs are okay. Like I could listen to the album a couple of times no trouble but it isn't one that is gonna stick with me for months on end. I really like Drained and Greatest Greed, Wallflower to me was eh, Battles was alright, Us Against the World has a thrash metal style riff in it that is short. I don't know I think off initial impressions it is sitting at a 6/10.

Reactions: AtotheK
My favorite choir is on Before I Fall, fits really fucking nicely, gives the song such a nice boost.

Yeah in that song and Wallflower they are best used on the album, or they sound the best.
Also, the talk about it being a more happy album, I both agree and don't agree. I feel a lot of parts in the songs have sort of a eerie feeling, almost close to melancholic, a bit desperate sounding, if it makes sense lol. At least that's my take. Lyric wise it fits more with that as well.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester Slave
Also, the talk about it being a more happy album, I both agree and don't agree. I feel a lot of parts in the songs have sort of a eerie feeling, almost close to melancholic

I had the same feeling.

It's not the worst album.

However, I have to say, Like Sand is an awesome song.
It's very well composed, and reminds me a lot of Satellites and Astronauts, just with different vocals and production. Like a 2016 IF version of S&A.

I love the key it's written in.

I just wish the chorus lyrics weren't so vapid and repeating.

Seriously, anders repeats himself in chorsuses like a lot of pop songs, and it really sinks some of the choruses.

Second listen. In My Room has a decent chorus. I think that I like it, though the rest of the song is meh. The two songs that made me want to jump to the next one were Here Until Forever and Underneath My Skin. As for the rest, I stick to my words.

Both. A personality of their own, a character that tells, we are IF (or whatever other band).

I don't care at all how Anders sounds at the studio.
That's a really weird statement. I mean it's not as if you are anyone else here regularly listens to audio rip of live performances or anything like that, we listen to the studio versions. So I don't know why you think it's irrelevant how good it sounds on the album if it sounds a lot worse live. What do you think the purpose is to record a album, to make it sound as live authentic as possibly? There's a reason literally no bands ever record albums together in a room recording the whole songs in full takes. People records bits and pieces over and over again until they are satisfied with the sound. Nothing new, and definitely nothing weird. I mean if you listen to a song with a real good solo, a really technical fast guitar-wanking one for example, do you automatically think it's bad because they with almost all certainty won't replicate it note for note live without any messups at all?

What a weird way to perceive music, in my opinion. Most of the music I listen to are bands I'll probably not ever see live, so it doesn't faze me in anyway if they are awesome on album and have hard time performing it live. As long as it sounds good, who cares lol.

I'm well aware how the albums are made, but I like the musicians to be as skilled live as they are at the studio. This is why I don't care how he sings at the studio until I listen to the live versions of the songs.

I mean if you listen to a song with a real good solo, a really technical fast guitar-wanking one for example, do you automatically think it's bad because they with almost all certainty won't replicate it note for note live without any messups at all?

Never said something like that. I don't care if they do not repeat the same notes, but they should be able to be as good live as they are at the studio, as any decent musician does.

What a weird way to perceive music, in my opinion. Most of the music I listen to are bands I'll probably not ever see live, so it doesn't faze me in anyway if they are awesome on album and have hard time performing it live. As long as it sounds good, who cares lol.

Your position is what I find to be weird.

Second listen. In My Room has a decent chorus. I think that I like it, though the rest of the song is meh. The two songs that made me want to jump to the next one were Here Until Forever and Underneath My Skin. As for the rest, I stick to my words.
Underneath My Skin is the new Monsters In The Ballroom :D Except Monsters at least had a decent intro and outro.