IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Anyone heard anything at all about them having a keyboard player live? I haven't seen shit. Just saw several live videos where they have one just a few days ago.

EDIT: Seems to maybe just be a one-off festival thing, didn't see it on either Download festival or Sweden Rock from the weekend.

EDIT: Found him
https://www.instagram.com/nielsnielsen/?hl=sv
Seems like it might be a new member, not announced yet, or it's just a session live thing.

Last edited:
They should have hired a keyboard player years ago. Baffling that they never did considering their love of 80s synth pop.

Well a bunch of years ago they didn't want one. But I like keyboards, it could add another dimension to the live shows. But I looked at the dude's Facebook and it seems he was just invited for a few shows. Maybe they wanted to try it out to see if it could be an option in the future.

Revisited Battles recently and I've come to determine that "Before I Fall" is probably my favorite on the record. Lyrics could use some work but I just like the vibe and how everything comes together. In some distant way the main riff/chorus reminds me of the old Sega Genesis game Sub-Terrania, even though there isn't much melodic resemblance.

Watching the "Save Me" video and I just can't help but realize that Anders always manages to find himself in the worst situations. Tied up in the middle of the street, trapped on a ferris wheel, etc. And then there was that time he was a cyborg?

I liked the camera work during the shots of the band playing. Always liked that lens effect - I'm not sure what it's called, but Chevelle's video for "Letter From a Thief" makes use of it, too.

The gore was a bit gratuitous but I like how such a happy/positive-sounding song is set to something so grisly. Definitely like the song a bit more now that there's this darker, weirder aspect to it.

In some distant way the main riff/chorus reminds me of the old Sega Genesis game Sub-Terrania, even though there isn't much melodic resemblance.

Speaking of similarities, that vocal melody from Save Me's chorus always sounded familiar to me.

The "I've been trying so hard but I can't see that far" and "Don't hesitate, don't you push me away" parts sound pretty alike. :)

EDIT: The time tag isn't working; start listening at 2:02

What the hell is Anders thinking in that second clip? He yells and screams his brains out in the first chorus and it doesn't even sound good. Then he is out of voice during the rest of the song lol.

It would be funny if every band member would care as little as him about their instruments.

Last edited:
He sounded fucking great on the entire Hellfest performance, and much much better on Here Until Forever at Hellfest than the Graspop one. And the quality is definitely not as good either on the Graspop one, it sounds way more muddier, like it's cutting off almost at times. I think he sounds good, the second clip he's struggling a bit (ontop of how the audio sounds) but he's hitting the cleans in the chorus very good, no complaints from me there. Just on the Graspop clip the screams seem like they are cutting off, but it's the audio mostly.

The way they are doing Moonshield live on the current tours by the way, it sounds better than ever before, Anders is doing almost exclusively death growling on it too which is sick, and I love the modified live intro instead of the acoustic intro. Listen to the Hellfest 2017 one, so good.

Anders could be belching the entirety of Moonshield and you'd say it was the best rendition ever though :D

That show doesn't sound bad but... damn, Anders can't sing. It's just mindblowing that some people actually stand and listen him butchering songs, trying to breathe, missing notes... Also, keyboard guy is funny. IF were lazy and didn't include some cool new parts for his instrument so he's just standing/dancing there fixing his hair from time to time.

Some time I ago I read an interview with Björn and Niclas where Björn said that two or three years before Jesper left they were supposed to go on a tour (I guess it was the ASOP tour then) and THREE DAYS before take-off Jesper suddenly told the other guys that he's sorry but he just cannot board that plane. So Björn called Niclas up and luckily he was both able and willing. They rehearsed the 17 songs of the set in one sitting while consuming 2 litres of coffee. I knew Jesper has been having issues, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Björn also said he feels playing live is 99% of their musical work. No wonder Battles sucked so much, they probably should've given more than 1% to it. :D

Oh, sod off! What is this pretentiousness assuming people go to live shows to hear studio-quality work? Especially considering that the average attendee has at least 3 beers in them, so it's not like they are dressed up in tuxedo to enjoy some fine music.

You want to get rocked, that's all.

Your back and forths about Anders voice is just hilarious, and after all these years, it must be trolling just to induce such replies from me or krofius, but I give you guys a pass, because this board is pretty dead.

Anyway, I've been watching their setlists and they are pretty okay, but I guess if you can't complain about it, then you won't eve mention it.

This format was brought to you by only4theweak, so you can count the paragraphs and know exactly how many times you will be CRUSHED and DESTROYED by Mr. Slave. Should've put out a warning....

No one wants to hear studio quality work live. Just good performances. Since I don't drink any alcohol I'm one of the few that will.actually listen to the live performance :p

And yep, anders still sucks live, even though he says that he was attending a vocal coach or something like that.

In the meantime, they keep on pretending that anders is a good singer and that he constantly improves his voice. He is not and he doesn't. He is a mediocre to bad singer and only the use of pro tools at studio and the constant repetition of takes makes him look as a competent studio singer. That is what I call a fraud. But, hey, that's my opinion.

I don't actually watch any new In Flames live videos because I know how Anders sounds and my ears can be treated to far better sounds than that. It doesn't matter so much when you're actually there, because most of the time the guitars drown out his weak cleans anyway. It's only when they're amplified on video that you realise how bad they are.

Slave is like an old, out of shape boxer trying to make a desperate comeback. You can see some of the old fire but it's mostly a sad, broken man.

Reactions: JesterSlaveSucks