IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Rock-solid song. I'm very, very happy with this. Good flow, plenty of pace variations.

I'm hearing some post-hardcore elements in this (Rise Against, The Prestige), and I've become a little more amenable to that sound in recent years. It's a cool twist.

Can't wait to hear the full album. "House" notwithstanding, it sounds like the In Flames I know and love is back.

EDIT: The guitars in the chorus are delicious. I don't really understand the criticism toward Bjorn's creativity. The guitarwork is so smooth here.

Last edited:
Hey Guys and Gals! I posted before when "I Am Above" was released! I stated that it felt like "Reload" following its predecessor "Load!"
Now hearing all four songs, I still hold my stance in that opinion of how "I The Mask" is sounding, vibing, and energetically moving with all its parts, in comparison to "Battles", just the same way "RL" felt following "L" ...and how it felt!
New stuff is cool! No complaints! It does not move me at all, yet my expectations have been in the right place so I was not concerned either.
There are positives and negatives for me, however, the negatives won't ruin it for me! There is still some cool stuff going on in these songs! Some interesting growth!
I think for the most part I just felt board listening. Has never really happened before! Definitely growers though and I do hear the rehashing of licks, riffs and melody, yet when you have written as long as these guys have, it is inevitable!
My only negative...yes I agree, Solo's are quite stale IMO! Tone, Runs, craftsmanship...Etc!

Thank you though to everyone who helped make these songs available to me when I got home from work this evening!!!

Been spinning "I, the Mask" all night. Fuuuuck. I feel like I'm in high school again, genuinely enjoying an In Flames track, back before I knew people thought they were bad. Ahhh, such innocent times.

EDIT: LMFAO, I'm just now reading the initial reax to "I, the Mask" in this thread. You're all space aliens from another galaxy, of this I am convinced. I don't think we'll ever agree on anything but at least you guys get the latest and greatest In Flames news.

But never fear: you are all awesome, and you are worth saving. (Yes, I mean you. ;) )

Last edited:
I like both I, the Mask and Voices so far, just glad they aren't like House.

Update: Looks like just another lyric video

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilias7
The artwork is really cool. I like how it incorporates various themes from their previous albums (The Puzzle, the lighthouse from Siren Charms, the vines from the ASOP cover). Blake Armstrong's done a great job this time.

Reactions: Ilias7
Phobiac has definitely taken Slave's vacated seat on the IF Jedi Council :D

The new songs are basic, generic modern IF. Objectively, anyway. This happens for every album though, people go crazy over the new songs just because they're new. Opinions will be very different in six months, I'm sure.

Why the fuck are we quoting bible verses and talking about religion in general, talk about a new level of degeneracy, holy fuck.

Hey, Anders quoted Bible verses too! :p

"Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever."

"All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again."

Ecclesiastes 1:4 & 1:7 (NIV)

Sounds familiar?

Reactions: eochaid
Typical reactions when the expectations are so low that you start praising a mediocre song.

I can't believe that he just mentioned the jester in the chorus. Lol. Anders is more desperate than I thought.

Also "set fire to the sky"... Bjorn is not the only one copying his own ideas.

The chorus is Anders going into full american mode. Trging to sound like Rise Against or the offspring. It's lame and it does not fit with the rest of the song.

At least they tried to be metal this time. That's the best that can be said about this song.

Last edited:
The sun streams into the multi-windowed room at a low angle. It is not
quite sunset. KROFIUS paces before CIKO, who is kneeling in the center of
the room.

KROFIUS : Confer on you, the level of In Flames Knight the Coucil does. But agree
on you taking this boy as your Padawan learner, I do not.
CIKO : Shad0w_ believed in him. I believe in Shad0w_.
KROFIUS : The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, grave danger I fear in
his training.
CIKO: Master Krofius, I gave Shad0w_ my word. I will train Phobiac. Without
the approval of the Council if I must.
KROFIUS : Shad0w_'s defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not. Agree, the
council does. Your apprentice, young Phobiac will be.

Chorus is like the I want you to listen... From the previous album. Can't remember the name of the song.

The sun streams into the multi-windowed room at a low angle. It is not
quite sunset. KROFIUS paces before CIKO, who is kneeling in the center of
the room.

KROFIUS : Confer on you, the level of In Flames Knight the Coucil does. But agree
on you taking this boy as your Padawan learner, I do not.
CIKO : Shad0w_ believed in him. I believe in Shad0w_.
KROFIUS : The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, grave danger I fear in
his training.
CIKO: Master Krofius, I gave Shad0w_ my word. I will train Phobiac. Without
the approval of the Council if I must.
KROFIUS : Shad0w_'s defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not. Agree, the
council does. Your apprentice, young Phobiac will be.
They should be careful. It did not go well with darth vanilla last time.

Even slave has changed though he refuses to admit. I know that he likes to be called, in private circles, jester ren. And he's calling you master.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindd and DE4life
They should be careful. It did not go well with darth vanilla last time.

No, it certainly didn't.

---

CIKO: I was so worried about you. Krofius told me terrible things.

PLAINVANILLA: What things?

CIKO: He said you have turned to the dark side . . . that you mocked Anders.

PLAINVANILLA: Krofius is trying to turn you against me.

CIKO: He cares about us.

PLAINVANILLA: Us??!

CIKO: He knows . . . He wants to help you.

PLAINVANILLA: Is Krofius going to protect you? He can't ... he can't help you. He's not strong enough.

CIKO: PlainVanilla, all I want is for you to love Anders.

PLAINVANILLA: Loving Anders won't save you, Ciko. Only loving Soilwork and the Night Flight Orchestra can do that.

CIKO: At what cost? You are a good person. Don't do this.

---

PLAINVANILLA: Don't make me kill you.

KROFIUS: PlainVanilla, my allegiance is to In Flames... to Anders.

PLAINVANILLA: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

KROFIUS: Only a Doom Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

(ignites his lightsaber)

PLAINVANILLA: You will try.

PLAINVANILLA ignites his lightsaber.

---

KROFIUS: I have failed you, PlainVanilla. I was never able to teach you to think.

PLAINVANILLA and KROFIUS confront each other on the lava river.

PLAINVANILLA: I should have known Anders and Bjorn were plotting to take over . . .

KROFIUS: From the haters!!! PlainVanilla, DE, Eochaid and A88 are evil.

PLAINVANILLA: From your point of view! From my point of view, Anders is evil.

KROFIUS: Well, then you are lost!

PLAINVANILLA: This is the end for you, My Master. I wish it were otherwise.

PLAINVANILLA jumps and flips onto KROFIUS’ platform. The fighting continues again until KROFIUS jumps toward the safety of the black sandy edge of the lava river. He yells at PlainVanilla.

KROFIUS: It's over, PlainVanilla. I have the high ground.

PLAINVANILLA: You underestimate my power!

KROFIUS: Don't try it.

PLAINVANILLA follows, and KROFIUS cuts his young apprentice at the knees, then cuts off his left arm in the blink of an eye. PLAINVANILLA tumbles down the embankment and rolls to a stop near the edge of the lava.

PLAINVANILLA struggles to pull himself up the embankment with his mechanical hand. His thin leather glove has been burned off. He keeps sliding down in the black sand.

KROFIUS: (continuing) . . . You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the haters, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness.

KROFIUS picks up PlainVanilla’s light saber and begins to walk away. He stops and looks back.

PLAINVANILLA: I hate you!

KROFIUS: You were my brother, PlainVanilla. I loved you.

PLAINVANILLA'S clothing blows into the lava river and ignites. Suddenly PLAINVANILLA bursts into flames and starts SCREAMING.

I just heard I The Mask and again like in Voices the verse is good but damn the chorus reminds me of 2007 metalcore/post hardcore bands.

I have to say the solos are really becoming the most annoying part of In Flames. Every time it's a 30 second wankery that adds nothing to the song. Atleast they could try to switch it up a little with an acoustic part or bass solo or whatever. Maybe move the solo to the end of the song for some variety you know?

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
I have to say the solos are really becoming the most annoying part of In Flames. Every time it's a 30 second wankery that adds nothing to the song. Atleast they could try to switch it up a little with an acoustic part or bass solo or whatever. Maybe move the solo to the end of the song for some variety you know?

Yep. Same place every time, same sounding solo every time. The only one from recent memory that actually sounded a bit different and really fit the song was In My Room, although it was still in the same place as usual about 3/4 in.