IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I, The Mask

Intro and verse — ASOP style riffs and sound. Condemned? Disconnected?

Pre-Chorus — Pattern exactly stolen from The End
“I can't tell you what to do
This crossword is our own
But I know what we'll become
The outcast on the run
Do you think about the end?”

Chorus — Battles chorus with harmonies. Greatest Greed?

“Modern riff”

Solo

Solo transition to chorus exactly lifted from The End pattern again
It has yet been discussed. Verse riff is that from disconnected. Bridge before solo they reused the same bridge from I am the highway.

I, The Mask

Intro and verse — ASOP style riffs and sound. Condemned? Disconnected?

Pre-Chorus — Pattern exactly stolen from The End
“I can't tell you what to do
This crossword is our own
But I know what we'll become
The outcast on the run
Do you think about the end?”

Chorus — Battles chorus with harmonies. Greatest Greed?

“Modern riff”

Solo

Solo transition to chorus exactly lifted from The End pattern again

So, it’s an In Flames song.

I haven’t noticed any ripped-off riffs or anything across my many listens, btw. If some elements of the song sound familiar, it’s understandable, given that it was written by a guy who has songwriting credits on 12 of their 13 albums.

And idk if you meant it in a tongue-in-cheek way so this isn’t directed at you per se, but I’m kind of confused about the whole “stolen from a previous song” thing. Are there any other bands that get accused of this? Soilwork, DT? It’s such a weird criticism to me that goes well beyond nitpicking.

Of course Jesper approves, they literally stole his riffs from two other songs lol.

Not burying I, The Mask has to be in my top 3 most pissed off moment on this board and that says a lot, because some people here like to switch off their intelligence just so they can post some absolutely ridiculous shit, which should be called out.

But are you guys DEAF???!! I'm serious.

This is I, The Mask: Riff stolend from The End (from the "I can't tell you..." part of TE), then riff stolen from Disconnected right before the chorus, then absolutely lazy metalcore chorus, which is not shit per se, but wtf, then bridge stolen from I am The Highway, absolutely faceless solo which lacks any kind of identity, and finally the outro of Disconnected stolen as well. How the FUCK does it not piss any of you off?

Okay, I can totally understand why you would like this song as a thing on its own. Ignore my last paragraph, and just concentrate on the music. Is it good? Yeah, I think it is. And now open your eyes (or rather, ears) and tell me how can you give this level of lazyness a pass? How is this shit acceptable? How can Björn forget the fucking riff they did on the previous album? Please, someone comment here that it was written by Nicklas, so I'll have a legit reason to push a fork into an electric socket.

Just blows my mind, especially if this shit is praised by people who dislike ASOP. Are you goldfishes? What is wrong with you?

There are two positives though: 1. visuals 2. lyrics (yeah, I said it)

Reactions: eochaid

I haven’t noticed any ripped-off riffs or anything across my many listens, btw. If some elements of the song sound familiar, it’s understandable, given that it was written by a guy who has songwriting credits on 12 of their 13 albums.
You've got to be joking. ITH is the most obvious one, then the ending of Disconnected, then the main riff of Disconnected (which really is the same, but it's better buried at the beginning of The Mask, then they went absolute shameless with it at the end), and The End is probably the hardest, as it is only like an 80%~ copy instead of the 1 on 1 robbery in daylight with the ASOP songs. There may be more, but this is what I'Ve found in my 4 (!!!!!!!!!!!!) listens. Not 400, 4.

I mean it's funny though, even on Blabbermouth people are liking the The Mask, then you know for sure people actually like it cause you never find a positive comment on an In Flames article on Blabbermouth lmao

Reactions: ThePhobiac
@Jester Slave Not joking. I don’t hear it at all. I have not done a 1-to-1 comparison of the songs but I have pretty much every IF song branded into my brain at this point. I’d recognize it in my very soul if I heard it, and I don’t, lol.

And idk if you meant it in a tongue-in-cheek way so this isn’t directed at you per se, but I’m kind of confused about the whole “stolen from a previous song” thing. Are there any other bands that get accused of this? Soilwork, DT? It’s such a weird criticism to me that goes well beyond nitpicking.

Very strange that you can't hear these riffs being more or less directly ripped. Can you hear the Black & White riffs lifted on Everything's Gone? Genuinely curious as if you can't hear that either then you might genuinely just be unable to hear such things which as far as In Flames goes would admittedly be a gift.

Yeah it gets picked up on with other bands, but with less annoyance because the songs still normally sound pretty good, eg. Arch Enemy - Blood in the Water.

I mean it's funny though, even on Blabbermouth people are liking the The Mask, then you know for sure people actually like it cause you never find a positive comment on an In Flames article on Blabbermouth lmao

There's far less trolling on there since they forced people to use FB to post comments.

@Jester Slave Not joking. I don’t hear it at all. I have not done a 1-to-1 comparison of the songs but I have pretty much every IF song branded into my brain at this point. I’d recognize it in my very soul if I heard it, and I don’t, lol.
All right, let's start with timestamps then. I will refer to the official LYRIC video whenever I give you a timestamp. I will give you a youtube link when I am referring to a fan upload.

1. I, The Mask vs. The End case:

TE: I can't tell you what to do/This crossroad is your own/But I know what we'll become/We'll be outlaws on the run
ITM: Wonder when I'll hit the ground/Been to space but I am falling/Wasting what is mine/For a voice that's calling

1.I 2.cant 3.tell 4.you 5.what 6.to 7.do
1.Won- 2.-der 3.when 4.Ill 5.hit 6.the 7.ground

Timestamps:
TE: 0:40
ITM: 0:37

3. I, The Mask vs. I am the Highway case:

ITM: 1:57
ITH: 2:08/2:17

Bridge riff is stolen. Not very similar, stolen. I said STOLEN.

3. I, The Mask vs. Disconnected case 1:
ITM: 3:15
Disconnected: 3:13

Ending riff copied. Please, someone start writing down "only 80% of it and the structure is copied!!", then realize before you hit Post Reply how stupid you would sound and delete it.

3. I, The Mask vs. Disconnected case 2:
ITM: 0:01
Disconnected: 0:04 (refer to the previous vid for source)

Main riff stolen.

Last edited:
Verse riff is similar to Disconnected , but it's not the same.
Pre-chorus from I, the Mask has nothing to do with the one from the End. Different riff, different tempo, different vocal melody on top. The only thing in common is the pattern of 3 clean singing lines and then 1 screaming line. You can hear clearly the pre-chorus riff from I, The Mask at 20 seconds...it's the same riff later ( wonder when I'll hit the ground...) but not harmonized. They use it more times ( all the tears...) but harmonized again.
Bridge is the weird part. It's not the same riff with ITH, but it gives you the impulsion to sing in your head the bridge from ITH. I can't really explain that.

All in all, Mask is not a rip off from their older songs. It just has a nice ASOP vibe mixed with Battles. The song has grown on me and I really like it!

Voices riff seems much more similar to Borders and Shading or Paralyzed. That bothers me more than the Mask.
I said it before, it is not a matter of laziness. New songs are full of riffs in contrast to Battles. Björn is just stuck in the same patterns and scales and he is in need for fresh ideas.

Finally, if they had copied Jesper's riffs, he wouldn't have approved.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
Verse riff is similar to Disconnected , but it's not the same.
Pre-chorus from I, the Mask has nothing to do with the one from the End. Different riff, different tempo, different vocal melody on top. The only thing in common is the pattern of 3 clean singing lines and then 1 screaming line. You can hear clearly the pre-chorus riff from I, The Mask at 20 seconds...it's the same riff later ( wonder when I'll hit the ground...) but not harmonized. They use it more times ( all the tears...) but harmonized again.
Bridge is the weird part. It's not the same riff with ITH, but it gives you the impulsion to sing in your head the bridge from ITH. I can't really explain that.

All in all, Mask is not a rip off from their older songs. It just has a nice ASOP vibe mixed with Battles. The song has grown on me and I really like it!

Voices riff seems much more similar to Borders and Shading or Paralyzed. That bothers me more than the Mask.
I said it before, it is not a matter of laziness. New songs are full of riffs in contrast to Battles. Björn is just stuck in the same patterns and scales and he is in need for fresh ideas.

Finally, if they had copied Jesper's riffs, he wouldn't have approved.
LOL, this reminds me of this CS:GO meme:

Shots 1-5: Clearly missed.
Shots 6-9: Missed due to recoil (bad spray control).
Shots 10-11: Very close, but recoil and inaccuracy make these reasonable misses.
Shot 12: Likely didn't actually fire because Hiko was already dead.

1st riff: sounds similar, but if you listen to it while standing on your head, you can clearly hear the differences
2nd riff and vocal: Definitely not in the same vocal registry, and there is no harmonization. Dismissed.
3rd riff: Very close, and makes you sing the other song in your head, but this is actually a psychological effect called Bullshitism, which often makes you think something was copied, when in reality it wasn't.
4th riff: Likely similar at best, but still very different. Refer to my 1st riff analysis.

Nice comedy. And lol, why would Jesper not approve when they are stealing 2(+1) of his riffs?? That's like the most vindicating thing on Earth, of course he would approve. It's like hearing that your ex is still thinking about you in the bed. I'll take it.

Jester Slave the fuck, that didn't even sound close to stolen, especially the first link lol, that bridge in The Mask and I'm The Highway you call STOLEN? I wouldn't even call it similar sounding.

I agree with Slave here on this one and I’m glad it’s not just me. I, The Mask borrowed HEAVILY from The End. Blame IF for making The End memorable enough that I can remember the vocal patterns, but you can sing the pre chorus from The End on top of ITM and it’s a direct match. First time I heard it, I was expecting “I can’t tell you... do you think about the enddddd?”, disappointed I didn’t get it.

I, The Mask is like The End 2
House is like The Truth 2

Which is nuts because those are the singles and they probably spent a lot of time on them, weird that they never noticed. Or maybe they did because Benson engineered the songs on top of the same “single” template.

Jester Slave the fuck, that didn't even sound close to stolen, especially the first link lol, that bridge in The Mask and I'm The Highway you call STOLEN? I wouldn't even call it similar sounding.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanIndianjackal.webm - meh, i dont know how to link it
ExcitableLeanIndianjackal.webm

Whether something is good or bad is subject to be endless given how it is not an objective question. But I have no words if you think they are not even similar. Like, what do you say to someone who looks at a red painting and says it's blue? At least say it's orange, we can start from there. But blue? I legit can't believe it. I was singing ITH the very first time listening to ITM, haven't even read a comment about it beforehand.

Reactions: mindd