IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

@Jester Slave Thanks for the write-up. The structure of the pre-chorus is similar to the one in “The End”, but yeah, as Ilias said, that’s the only real similarity.

The bridge riff is within the same vein as I’m the Highway, but it’s not the same riff, and the drums are different between the two songs, which gives each a different function (IatH uses syncopated crash cymbals to keep the momentum from the chorus going, while ItM functions more like a heavy breakdown). Honestly, I’d have never picked up on this and I struggle to hear it.

The verse riff is just ASOP-esque. It’s in the style of Disconnected, Sober and Irrelevant, and Mirror’s Truth, but I really don’t hear how it’s lifted directly from Disconnected.

idk, I see what you’re saying, and I get why it’d be concerning, but in this case, it honestly feels like reaching to me.

@DE4life Nah, I do hear it on EG and Rusted Nail. Those are p much directly lifted. I just don’t think it’s malicious or lazy or anything. I’m sort of guilty of writing similar riffs and chord structures myself. Hard to say what Bjorn’s intentions were but I would speculate that he’s been playing these songs for so long that some of these riff structures come as reflex when writing them.

@A88 said something about never forgetting the music you’ve written. I don’t completely agree with that. I sometimes find that, after I’ve written a song, it’ll occur to me “hey wait, this part of the song has the same chord structure as that song I wrote last year...” But I keep it in because I like how it sounds, or it works differently in this newer song, or I alter it a little. A lot of it is subconscious, at least for me.

Reactions: Ilias7 and DE4life
No wonder Slave turned to the dark side.
I mean, I like Voices. For some reason (maybe the flac format?) it even sounds better, much richer.

It's easily a 7 from me, and I am dying that they didn't include a choir in it, would haveb een an 8. Still, I would very much like to see it live. It's also very strange how it's 4 and a half minutes yet it doesn't feel forced. You know, as much as I dig Wallflower and TCP, the artifical "empty spaces" in those songs are very obvious. I get it, those are ballads, but still. This song flows from start to finish.

I don't like the way the first scream sounds though. Very weird.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanIndianjackal.webm - meh, i dont know how to link it
ExcitableLeanIndianjackal.webm

Whether something is good or bad is subject to be endless given how it is not an objective question. But I have no words if you think they are not even similar. Like, what do you say to someone who looks at a red painting and says it's blue? At least say it's orange, we can start from there. But blue? I legit can't believe it. I was singing ITH the very first time listening to ITM, haven't even read a comment about it beforehand.
Yeah I don't really hear it. I'm the Highway bridge is 80% chugging whereas The Mask bridge there is no chugging. I really don't hear it.

@Jester Slave Thanks for the write-up. The structure of the pre-chorus is similar to the one in “The End”, but yeah, as Ilias said, that’s the only real similarity.

The bridge riff is within the same vein as I’m the Highway, but it’s not the same riff, and the drums are different between the two songs, which gives each a different function (IatH uses syncopated crash cymbals to keep the momentum from the chorus going, while ItM functions more like a heavy breakdown). Honestly, I’d have never picked up on this and I struggle to hear it.
I strictly meant the guitars. IF is the last music band I would listen for good bass or drum lines. Even in the past, they were mostly just did the job. Ie. I like the drums on Crawl Through Knives, but the guitars and Anders absolutely steals the show. Meh, I guess it's somewhat of a wrong example as CC is actually the only IF record (+ some Clayman tracks) where the drumming is actually cool.

Anyway, we can play with the words, whether it's stolen, or just *wink* quite *wink* similar, it doesn't change the fact that it stinks. The whole song is stitched together from previous records, + a random metalcore chorus and a solo no one really cares for. If it was only the Disconnected/ASOP plagi... ermm... similarity, I could give it a pass. Maybe I'd even defend them that it's a throwback, you know. But it's just too much.

Jester you're drunk
Yes, honey, I'm drunk on love whenever you are around. But how about you try to give your take on any of the released or leaked songs, because as far as I can remember, you did not even say whether you liked them or not, let alone give a little rundown as to why.

I know that being a self-pitying, tattooed, "cool" metal chick with passable looks in this world has trained you to barely use your head for thinking, but at least give it a try, even if it's just for smoke and mirros. Maybe compensate with some extra pictures on Fbook and Insta, so you won't lose out on your daily popularity quota with the shitty memes and the barrage of "look, I'm a metalhead" random songs you usually post here.

Guys are you serious you don’t hear it?

Listen to I, The Mask at 1:57-2:06
Then listen to I’m The Highway 2:17-2:26

Same shit. Stop hating on Slave and get woke.

Reactions: mindd
As I said, that's called cognitive dissonance. Though usually associated to religious beliefs it has been deply found between the IF fanbase, specially those selfnamed as jesterheads.

Guys are you serious you don’t hear it?

Listen to I, The Mask at 1:57-2:06
Then listen to I’m The Highway 2:17-2:26

Same shit. Stop hating on Slave and get woke.
I am honestly speechless. I either blame Krofius of lying or trolling, which I do not believe he does, or I have to question my very existence, and somehow accept that there is a possibility that these riffs are not even similar. But if those riffs are not similar, then nothing I see or hear is real, and that would undermine every single thing I believed to be true. Red may be blue. Jazz may be Rap. Katy Perry may be a punk rock band.

I don't know. This is some weird philosophical dilemma right here.

As I said, that's called cognitive dissonance. Though usually associated to religious beliefs it has been deply found between the IF fanbase, specially those selfnamed as jesterheads.
Wouldn't he just say some random bullshit excuse like Ilias7? YOu know, like "yeaah, they may be similar at first, but...." or I don't know. Flat out denying it is just... weird.

Wouldn't he just say some random bullshit excuse like Ilias7? YOu know, like "yeaah, they may be similar at first, but...." or I don't know. Flat out denying it is just... weird
That's not how it works. Think about the flat earthers. Well, we have our own IF flat earthers.

In my defense you were saying 2:08 not 2:17, so I didn't listen onwards when the vocals came on, but I can hear some similarity between the 2:17-2:26 part even though it's kinda hard to hear beneath the drums and vocals. But the ending melody thing of the riff doesn't sound similar IMO, only the rhythm part somewhat similar, definitely wouldn't call it STOLEN or COPIED like you did though. There's absolutely no similarity between 2:08-2:17 though like you stated, at least in my opinion.

I strictly meant the guitars. IF is the last music band I would listen for good bass or drum lines. Even in the past, they were mostly just did the job. Ie. I like the drums on Crawl Through Knives, but the guitars and Anders absolutely steals the show. Meh, I guess it's somewhat of a wrong example as CC is actually the only IF record (+ some Clayman tracks) where the drumming is actually cool.

Anyway, we can play with the words, whether it's stolen, or just *wink* quite *wink* similar, it doesn't change the fact that it stinks. The whole song is stitched together from previous records, + a random metalcore chorus and a solo no one really cares for. If it was only the Disconnected/ASOP plagi... ermm... similarity, I could give it a pass. Maybe I'd even defend them that it's a throwback, you know. But it's just too much.

Yes, honey, I'm drunk on love whenever you are around. But how about you try to give your take on any of the released or leaked songs, because as far as I can remember, you did not even say whether you liked them or not, let alone give a little rundown as to why.

I know that being a self-pitying, tattooed, "cool" metal chick with passable looks in this world has trained you to barely use your head for thinking, but at least give it a try, even if it's just for smoke and mirros. Maybe compensate with some extra pictures on Fbook and Insta, so you won't lose out on your daily popularity quota with the shitty memes and the barrage of "look, I'm a metalhead" random songs you usually post here.

Well, I don't think they've stolen riffs from old albums...it's stupid . In flames lost their power long time ago and they are trying ,, something new" because they know that their ideas are done but honestly i still love their new sound

Did anyone figure out which 1-2 songs the solo is from? My hunch is at least something from Siren Charms the way it is kind of atonal at the beginning. Don’t have time right now to get deep into it.

Could it be not the notes but the pattern? Bjorn has been doing his solos in a very similar way.