IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

tenor.gif

I've seen this posted a few people, out of curiosity what makes you guys think this album is going to sell better than the other two? Haven't IF album sales been dropping for years? They're with the same producer and the same label as the last album, and it's not like the singles have been good enough to create a buzz outside of the IFWT crew (not from what I've seen, anyway)... so why do some of you think this album is going to sell better than Battles, or SC (which, remember, was on Sony Music!)?
Judging by the reactions of the people, they seem to be more happy about this album than about the previous ones. Though I don't think that it's going to sell more than the previous ones together. Having in mind that even soapf was not a big success. But it will probably sell more than battles.

I think that's good that people is more happy about this kind of IF, but I also think that fans should raise their standards about what they considere good IF music. Repeated riffs and structures and a singer that's been constantly loosing his own path do not seem to ne the best possible way to make new music for a consolidated band.

Judging by the reactions of the people, they seem to be more happy about this album than about the previous ones. Though I don't think that it's going to sell more than the previous ones together. Having in mind that even soapf was not a big success. But it will probably sell more than battles.

I think that's good that people is more happy about this kind of IF, but I also think that fans should raise their standards about what they considere good IF music. Repeated riffs and structures and a singer that's been constantly loosing his own path do not seem to ne the best possible way to make new music for a consolidated band.

I dunno, to me this has more or less followed the same pattern as Battles. The End/I Am Above were well liked, The Truth/This Is Our House were despised, Through My Eyes/I, the Mask (or Save Me/Voices) were a step down from the first single but still got OK reception. I think people are letting the overall perception of Battles influence how they remember the build up to the album release. It was strikingly similar.

Last edited:
I dunno, to me this has more or less followed the same pattern as Battles. The End/I Am Above were well liked, The Truth/This Is Our House were despised, Through My Eyes/I, the Mask (or Save Me/Voices) were a step down from the first single but still got OK reception. I think people are letting the overall perception of Battles influence how they remember the build up to the album release. It was strikingly similar.

Except for the fact that Through My Eyes is a poorly produced frankenstein shit show of a song that doesn't flow, has no memorability and its separate parts don't cohesively fit together. Don't get me started on the mixing of it either.

Except for the fact that Through My Eyes is a poorly produced frankenstein shit show of a song that doesn't flow, has no memorability and its separate parts don't cohesively fit together. Don't get me started on the mixing of it either.

I agree, but that's not how people reacted to it at the time.

Songs 6 and 7 (Before I Fall and Through My Eyes) are very good too. Nothing revolutionizing, but you would definitely listen to them many times, really catchy songs.

Listened song a few times now and I can say that I like it. Verse riff feels weird a little bit, but prechorus and chorus vocals are awesome, catchy. Solo is good but it feels like I heard that before. So much wah and same solo patterns by Björn.

Well after listening bunch of times, I decided. Song is awesome! It's so catchy I just find myself singing the prechorus and chorus!
DID YOU FIND YOURSELF LOST, IN THE WORLD WE SWORE TO PROTEEECTTT, just awesome lol

Through My Eyes is a decent pop-metal track. Nothing that stands out too much, nothing that drags it down to a bad level or anything.

- Like the energy and aggression, at least there is some, compared to previous record
- Screams are good, SOAPF style (Enter Tragedy-like [verses]) which is a good thing. Harsh.
- Seems the instruments get drowned out during the verses and sometimes in the chorus as screams maintain loudness
- Like the bridge more than the chorus. Don't care much for through my EYEEEEES, know what it was LIIIIIKKKEEEEE only because they stay a flat note and don't melodically change imo
- The particular style the chorus is sung in is kind of "meh" to me. I understand the 90's/Offspring reference haha. I feel like if they were going to do an effect-ridden chorus do it maybe more in Paralyzed's or The End's fashion. That's just me though
- Solo is as expected for the song, that almost nu-metal type aura and typical style for Bjorn at this point

I'm glad it's heavy.
I'm glad there was an effort one can hear was put in.
Just an acceptable, accessible track

Yeah, it might be a simple song, but good enough for me. Tho' I understand some of the criticism.

I really dig the new track. I got hard. It's on par with The End if not better in my opinion. I like the simple thrashy riff and the ''new'' approach on the screams, and the chorus is really nice, sounded weird the first chorus but then I got used to it and then it just gets more and more catchy after a couple listens. Solo is pretty good too. Niclas said in the Battle's clip as well that the album is more faster and upbeat than Siren Charms, which can only be a plus in my book, so maybe we can expect a couple more faster songs as well.

I like TME, very similar (but not QUITE as good) song to The End. Has a good message too. I'm looking forward to the album as it is shaping up to be a lot better than SC, which I though was OK.

:D how opinions change, eh? From this to...

And you wonder why Eochaid, A88 and myself get so frustrated with you guys :rofl:

I don't know if you guys read Blabbermouth, but usually on any In Flames article there's literally 9 out of 10 negative comments. The new article for Through My Eyes has more positive than negative comments. Obviously the negative ones are usually trolls but still, remarkable amount of positive comments. Some guy saying it might be the first album he likes since Come Clarity. Just shows how weird people perceive all of IF albums and which ones people think are shit and which ones people like.

Also quite funny to read this as Krofius said the exact same thing recently about this album :D

Agreed. Battles was highly praised. Maybe because SC was before. And the same might happen to this album. We've got 4 songs so far. There are 8 (?) left. And I don't think that the ones left are going to make this album better. Just the opposite. But I will be happy if I'm wrong.

Reactions: DE4life
Through My Eyes sucks. I hate that song.

All album sales are falling due to streaming so that alone isn’t a great indicator.

I think this new album will succeed by avoiding most of the problems of the last two albums. I think they are taking the safe road here. This album will even be safer than SOAPF. And that’s why it will succeed.

Compositionally SOAPF was better than a number of other IF albums but the shift in overall sound (guitar tone, mood) was a big one after ASOP. Then SC which was totally experimental. Then Battles which was pop/rock influenced.

On the songs released so far IF is sticking with a metal foundation and drawing from a number of riff and solo styles from their back catalog. The IF album is shaping up to be a lot like a Super Smash Brothers game. So yeah, very safe. But they need safe right now after a bunch of very divisive albums. I bet the reviews DO say “a return to form”. I mean, it is. They are recording metal songs again. That is reason alone to celebrate.

And yeah, there are still Battles choruses but I actually much prefer the new style chorus structures over the old stuff. Now they have a pre chorus, then chorus section A, then chorus section B, then a post chorus thing. Tension actually builds. More complex instead of just “this is where Anders tries to sing”. Also I like the vocal harmonies.

So, my bet is it will be the best received album since SOAPF or even before. Best received as in overall fans listening to it. I bet critic scores are still not great because so far it doesn’t seem that original. But I predict it will be a “guilty pleasure” for many listeners. Let’s see if I’m right haha.

Okay yeah mabye I overreacted when it was released XD Battles had grown old for me after a matter of weeks, the initial joy of it didn't last

Reactions: Ilias7
They're playing safe except for Andets who's constantly reminding us how much he does admire Jared Leto.

The screams on the verses are making people forget how terrible and impersonal they are the new choruses.

All album sales are falling due to streaming so that alone isn’t a great indicator.
Not all of them. Not as dramatically as IF.

The metal community was supposed to be very supportive of their bands. And that included buying the albums.

Battles/ITM choruses are the absolute worst for me. Totally uncreative, poor vocal melodies and all sounding very similar to each other. Anders pretending that he's a front man of some cool american pop-punk band. With all due respect, fuck off with that shit. At least Siren Charms has some originality, albeit mostly from stupid production choices.

Also quite funny to read this as Krofius said the exact same thing recently about this album :D
Well maybe because it was true in both cases? Also I'm not talking about the albums, only about the singles. Generally from what I've seen though, people seem to enjoy The Mask way more than anything off of Battles.

Well maybe because it was true in both cases? Also I'm not talking about the albums, only about the singles. Generally from what I've seen though, people seem to enjoy The Mask way more than anything off of Battles.

Only because you've forgotten how much people were digging the Battles stuff when it came out.

Reactions: eochaid
Lol yeah, briefly going back through the Battles thread for those quotes and Krofi-kun was very impressed. Loving all the tracks. Dreaming of Anders seranading him on a beach in Barbados with "Wallflower", etc. Now he shits all over the album as if he never really liked it, and he's way too cool for this modern IF stuff.

Say what you will about Slave, but at least he's consistent and stayed strong in his love for Siren Charms, even in the face of relentless critcism. You gotta respect him for that if nothing else.