IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

giphy.webp

Reactions: miniroch
Yeah, heavy (heavy as filler tracks from ASOP) for 40 seconds before the first gay autotuned chorus kicks in.

Damn, the lack of chugging really bothers me. They've fucked up guitar production big time. Get a decent metal producer you twats!

I don't know what happened to you guys but it looks like all of you lost your fucking minds. :D HOW THE HELL IS ITM IS POP METAL?? The songs came out (except House) are heaviest since CC. POP METAL??
At least they are metal. How else would you call ITM? Melodic death metal? The choruses make it pop. No way around it. Again, at least they are back in the metal court.

Yeah, heavy (heavy as filler tracks from ASOP) for 40 seconds before the first gay autotuned chorus kicks in.

Damn, the lack of chugging really bothers me. They've fucked up guitar production big time. Get a decent metal producer you twats!

So the autotuned chorus' are homosexual...???

They're a mishmash of different styles and trying to categorize them is futile (and wastes precious minutes of your lifespan). They take from pop, they take from death metal, they take from industrial, they take from alt metal and rock. I don't think that makes them any one of those (though alt metal might be a good catchall), but what it does it make them a band that confuses the shit out of people and drives them here, to the Ultimate Metal Forums, where I read all your posts and nod with wisdom.

https://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/In-Flames-I-The-Mask/8218

This is a greek review and it's very decent. I'll translate and summarize the most important parts for you ( google translate sucks ) :

The reviewer says that he loved almost everything from LS until SOAPF, but afterwards he was disappointed with the band's effords and felt like they were going downhill. He believes that ITM is a step to the right direction and a worthy successor of ASOP.

I'll skip the already released ( or leaked ) tracks, because we know them. He thinks that Burn is the best track of the album and IAA has more energy than all the songs from Battles combined.

Not much is said about Call My Name, only that is not one of the album's best songs.
The one that sounds like Come Clarity is Follow Me. It has the most catchy chorus in the album and it's very melodic. It also has elements from Passenger.
We Will Remember is the one that has references to older albums and songs ( in the lyrics ). It is a very emotional performance by Anders.
In This Life is also very melodic, but the chorus is not good enough.
Deep Inside has influnces from Middle East and it's a very interesting track.
All The Pain starts like a ballad, but it turns into something more.
Stay With Me starts slow and acoustic, but later it escalates. You can't say that they left the best for last.

All in all, it is not a return to the old sound, but at least it feels like they were actually inspired this time around ( both Björn and Anders ).

Last edited:
Reactions: galvanized
Congrats, dude! Drive safe!

Thanks! Learning to drive in the UK is a long, difficult and expensive process so I'm pretty relieved that it's done and over with. My insurance premiums are through the roof as a new driver, but I started learning about 13 years late so I can't really complain :D

https://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/In-Flames-I-The-Mask/8218

This is a greek review and it's very decent. I'll translate and summarize the most important parts for you ( google translate sucks ) :

The reviewer says that he loved almost everything from LS until SOAPF, but afterwards he was disappointed with the band's effords and felt like they were going downhill. He believes that ITM is a step to the right direction and a worthy successor of ASOP.

I'll skip the already released ( or leaked ) tracks, because we know them. He thinks that Burn is the best track of the album and IAA has more energy than all the songs from Battles combined.

Not much is said about Call My Name, only that is not one of the album's best songs.
The one that sounds like Come Clarity is Follow Me. It has the most catchy chorus in the album and it's very melodic. It also has elements from Passenger.
We Will Remember is the one that has references to older albums and songs ( in the lyrics ). It is a very emotional performance by Anders.
In This Life is also very melodic, but the chorus is not good enough.
Deep Inside has influnces from Middle East and it's a very interesting track.
All The Pain starts like a ballad, but it turns into something more.
Stay With Me starts slow and acoustic, but later it escalates. You can't say that they left the best for last.

All in all, it is not a return to the old sound, but at least it feels like they were actually inspired this time around ( both Björn and Anders ).

It sounds like we've probably heard the best the album has to offer based on that review. Interested to hear what Follow Me, We Will Remember and Deep Inside sound like. I'm already fairly sure I'm going to rate this album as better than SC/Battles, but still some way below SOAPF.

There's also a new review
https://overdrive-mag.com/2019/02/11/review-in-flames-i-the-mask/
but I stopped reading it right after the sentence: "Battles was arguably one of their best albums in years ", because I obviously disagree with the reviewer, so there was no point.

Then you missed this gem:

"Their upcoming 2019 release, ‘I, The Mask’ attempts to further push this transition steadily, and manages to do so with absolute success (although, it nowhere near as defining as Battles is). "

And then this absolutely amazing piece of british humour:

"The album opens with Voices, which not only opens the album with the notorious In Flames flare, but the stylistic change shines through in droves – it’s absolutely brilliant! Friden’s clean vocals are simply superb, and begs the question as to why the decision to have him showcase them more prominently (over his growling vocals) took so long to come about.Y"

Are you trying to do an autism awareness campaign?

ITM is less heavy than asop? slayer less heavy than AC/DC? Is Pestilence the new backstreet boys?

You fuckin' retarded m8?
Yes. ASOP only sounds less heavy because of the thin production. Not much power in the sounds.

It sounds like we've probably heard the best the album has to offer based on that review. Interested to hear what Follow Me, We Will Remember and Deep Inside sound like. I'm already fairly sure I'm going to rate this album as better than SC/Battles, but still some way below SOAPF.

My exact thoughts.

Then you missed this gem:

"Their upcoming 2019 release, ‘I, The Mask’ attempts to further push this transition steadily, and manages to do so with absolute success (although, it nowhere near as defining as Battles is). "

Well, it was pretty clear in the first place that gems like this would show up. There was no need to keep reading and get myself frustrated.
Although, this might suggest that this album is a good one.

At least is better than battles, thought that doesn't mean anything to me.

Last edited:
At least is better than battles, thought that doesn't me anything to me.
Yes, by releasing SC and Battles they have now guaranteed themselves positive reviews for the next 3 albums. Everyone is going to say “At least it’s better than Battles (or SC, whichever you hate more).”

I won't- That's the most positive statement that I can say for now. Even if I were to like the album (I don't think so), the fact that they've lost their own personality makes it hard for me to really appreciate it.