IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I don’t agree it’s on the same level as The Red In the Sky is Yours though. That album is on a whole other level of amazing. It’s raw but not really. Once you get into it’s its very refined and thought out and it’s NOT a demo or ATG’s first recording at all.

You misunderstood me, though to be fair I should have clarified my stance on that. I never said they were on the same level. TRITSIO outclasses Lunar Strain for sure, but both albums were innovative for its time, just in a different way. LS was melodic death/thrash with Maiden influenced harmonies and a black metal edge where as TRITSIO was a melodic death metal album influenced by black metal, but before those albums came out there was nothing really like it, except for maybe Carcass' Heartwork (in LS' case). And they're both very heavy albums, even if the production sort of betrays that. I definitely agree that TRITSIO is a very refined and rewarding record with tons of layers you can peel back with each listen. Its one of my favorite MDM releases of all time, next to Eucharist's Mirrorworlds, DT's Character, and Colony. And Gardens of Grief is a cool demo, but raw as fuck.

Last edited:
Here I'm listening to wwr and suddenly comes to mind two thoughts.

The first one is that is a worse version of ropes.

The second one is that, in the worst songs of the album, the choruses are more coherent with the song than in the best songs. That's annoying.

Reactions: galvanized
Edit: woooo, this is now officially the most replied to thread on the IF board!
Yeah it's weird though, if you sort by views it's not even close to either SOAPF or SC, about half the views. For some reason and I have no fucking clue why, the non-gay bro thread has 600k+ views, I wonder how. You must find that thread by googling some shit, otherwise I have no idea

Yeah it's weird though, if you sort by views it's not even close to either SOAPF or SC, about half the views. For some reason and I have no fucking clue why, the non-gay bro thread has 600k+ views, I wonder how. You must find that thread by googling some shit, otherwise I have no idea

Because bros get views, obviously. When A88 and I talk, people want to listen.

@DE4life , cheers pal. I always enjoy the musings of this community despite the dire state of affairs over the last couple of years.

The good news is it's today and I'm still listening to my distilled ITM playlist pretty regularly. I've even played it alongside stuff from older albums and I think it holds up pretty well. I'll say again, the ending of Deep Inside is just euphoric for me. Quite looking forward to seeing them in Glasgow in April, although knowing my luck, they'll play the six songs from the album that I don't like, and nothing from before Clayman.

It's really refreshing, by the way, to see Sounds of a Playground Fading getting so much respect in this thread. There's a narrative that seems quite pervasive on Facebook and YouTube that ASOP was the point at which In Flames crossed the good music event horizon, and everything since has been terrible, but pretty much everyone here seems to be of the opinion that, in its own way, it's one of the best and most complete works the band has produced and a really good blend of everything they'd ever been up until that point.

@DE4life , cheers pal. I always enjoy the musings of this community despite the dire state of affairs over the last couple of years.

The good news is it's today and I'm still listening to my distilled ITM playlist pretty regularly. I've even played it alongside stuff from older albums and I think it holds up pretty well. I'll say again, the ending of Deep Inside is just euphoric for me. Quite looking forward to seeing them in Glasgow in April, although knowing my luck, they'll play the six songs from the album that I don't like, and nothing from before Clayman.

It's really refreshing, by the way, to see Sounds of a Playground Fading getting so much respect in this thread. There's a narrative that seems quite pervasive on Facebook and YouTube that ASOP was the point at which In Flames crossed the good music event horizon, and everything since has been terrible, but pretty much everyone here seems to be of the opinion that, in its own way, it's one of the best and most complete works the band has produced and a really good blend of everything they'd ever been up until that point.

There is some (imo) OTT criticism of SOAPF around here, but yeah generally it's a well regarded album in this small corner of the internet. Personally I think it was a stellar effort, there's very little about the album that I dislike. It's most definitely "new" In Flames in every way, but for me it was the absolute peak of the modern IF style. All For Me aside I enjoy every single song on that album, which made SC all the more disappointing for me. It was such a sudden and jarring change of direction. I wish they'd continued going in the SOAPF direction rather than the weird and off-putting route they ended up going with SC & Battles. Still, SOAPF gave and to some degree still gives me hope that IF could produce another album I would really love from start to finish. If Anders & Bjorn were capable of producing that in 2011 then there's still a chance they could do it again. Obviously it wouldn't be an exact repeat as they don't really do that, but if they were able to blend ITM's best moments with SOAPF's energy and passion then they could be on to a real winner. They'd have to get rid of Benson and the crew first, though.

I'm seeing them in Norwich in April, and the only songs off ITM I'd be really disappointed to hear would be Call My Name, In This Life and House. Unfortunately I expect one of the three to be played (probably House), but anything else I'd be cool with. I'm interested to hear how these songs will sound without the autotuning on Anders' vocals.

Found a review from one of those dinasour journalists that has been here since ever. Spanish.

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G

Some sentences:

"Looking back the stumble (artistic though not commercial) that was soapf and that happened just after Jesper Stromblad's departure, represented In Flames lower stage and, since then, they have only half get back on their feet".

"Siren charms was not as bad as people pretended..."

"Battles represented a step back and the return to a more characteristic sound..."

You can only imagine the rest of the review...

The first half is like battles. The second like siren charms...

This guy is been making a living talking about metal for more than 40 years now... Lol.

SOAPF is the best post-Jesper In Flames album for sure, and a good album in its own right. My only issues with the album is that...

A.) Liberation should be a bonus track, and Jester's Door cut from the album entirely
B.) Ropes and Darker Times should be swapped as far as track order goes
C.) The Puzzle, Darker Times, and Enter Tragedy all start out the same
D.) The drumming is pretty formulaic, a shame since Daniel's drumming had more variety and flare on ASOP

Other than that, it's an easy 7/10, would be an 8/10 record if these issues weren't present, but oh well. Like I said, pretty good considering they lost a major songwriter beforehand.

SOAPF is the best post-Jesper In Flames album for sure, and a good album in its own right. My only issues with the album is that...

A.) Liberation should be a bonus track, and Jester's Door cut from the album entirely
D.) The drumming is pretty formulaic, a shame since Daniel's drumming had more variety and flare on ASOP

Other than that, it's an easy 7/10, would be an 8/10 record if these issues weren't present, but oh well. Like I said, pretty good considering they lost a major songwriter beforehand.

I'm in the minority who really likes Liberation, so I can't agree with point A! It is a bit of a strange end to the album though :D

Reactions: Jester Slave
All good if you dig the track, my dude. Personally, it didn't really do anything for me. A New Dawn just felt like such a climactic song that would work really well as a closer, but alas.

There is a big reason SOAPF is good album.

Think of it, it is one of rare modern IF records where they don't do the usual, oh let's just get to the first chorus, and, lets build the whole songs around 3 choruses and come up with some short elements around it, and lets make 12 short radio friendly clones...

It is ok to do this for the intended singles, but a good album has to have variation, longer songs (not of the tcp wankfest type). Soapf has just that. Catchy music but with enough time to do the climactic New Dawn or that long outro for Puzzle. And that is awesome. Zombie Inc isn't big because of the chorus, but because they took their time and invested a lot of effort for a solo section that builds up and spawns over 1/4 of that song. Not this 4 second thing we get these days.

SOAPF is a bit bloated (afm, darker times could have been cut), bjorn reuses the same riffs a few times, but everything else is on high level. Even Liberation works in the context of the whole thing. Also, lyrics have some really good lines and are not the constant cringe like on later albums. Hell, there are even some themes I can relate to as a grown man.

In some aspects, soapf is the best, most serious album since clayman. And it holds well with time the way two and a half albums after can't, even after a few weeks.

This bitch wants me gone! Been here 5 minutes and thinks he runs the place... Haha I'm kidding dude, although I do disagree, I think it has its place on the album.

Tbh I feel like they could have had it open the album and go straight into Deliver Us, putting the title track later on in the running. Interesting food for thought for y'all

Preach it brother. Same beginning and basically the same song. My opinion is choose 1 and cull the rest. I choose Darker Times... and possibly the remix version. Other people choose one of the others. I never understand people saying good things about all of them.

Reactions: Man Made Bod
Preach it brother. Same beginning and basically the same song. My opinion is choose 1 and cull the rest. I choose Darker Times... and possibly the remix version. Other people choose one of the others. I never understand people saying good things about all of them.

The Puzzle and Enter Tragedy can stay in my opinion. I really dig the last minute or so in the Puzzle and Enter Tragedy is a cool song all around. That second riff is a cool little throwback to Colony.