IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Also sad to see the lack of love for Lunar Strain :( production on the album is shit, admittedly, but I still like a lot of the songs on there. Behind Space, Starforsaken, Everlost Part II, In Flames, Upon an Oaken Throne and Clad in Shadows are all good songs even with the shitty production. The title track and Everlost Part I are pretty bad, granted, but for an album created in something like a week this was a pretty good effort!
On my list, LS is on the bottom of the albums that I like. It's too raw compared to subterranean or the jester race. A first ok attempt.

Reactions: galvanized
The first impression of the album was that it sounds a bit like a collection album without actually being one. Like A88 said "disjointed", but at least there's more variety and randomness.

Surely sounds more inspired than Battles. That album only has 2 songs I feel like going back to, Wallflower and The End. On ITM there definitely are more tracks that I'll be listening to. The main negative aspects are the same ones that've been brought up by many of you already: Anders's vocals often sound too artificial/processed, Björn still loves to abuse his wah, and Howard Benson should be replaced with another producer.

I've only heard the whole album once so I'm not able to write a proper review, but as of now the standout tracks for me are Voices, Deep Inside and Stay With Me. The title track, I Am Above and Burn seem pretty good and solid. The jury's still out on Follow Me, We Will Remember, In This Life and All the Pain. I don't care much for Call My Name and dr. House already got old.

LS shouldn't be on the same list with the rest of the albums. It was pretty much a demo with a bunch of random people and songs.

It's amazing how many people are having coincident opinions about the songs. This must be the first time ever. We need slave back to tell us how the shitty songs are the best in flames songs ever, just to fuel things here.

@GraemeSinclair welcome back bro, good to see you. I'm mostly in agreement with your ITM review. To me it's like an album where they nearly got it right, but strayed too far into SC/Battles territory with some of the tracks, whereas they should have mostly stuck with the IAA, ITM, Burn, Voices formula, throwing in a couple of softer songs like Stay With Me and Follow Me.

Also welcome to @Jester565 and @Man Made Bod , good to see some new faces posting. I, the Mask seems to have brought people back to talk about the band, whereas SC/Battles drove a lot of people away. It's definitely a step in the right direction even if they aren't quite there yet.

Next step is to jettison Howard Benson into the sea. Get a new producer, stop abusing the autotune machine and the wah pedal, find some inspiration and maybe we'll get our long awaited SOAPF 2.0.

From what I remember there weren't that many flame wars on Everdying. Most people had roughly the same opinion that R2R and STYE were shit, and I think there was a half and half reaction to CC before Archy shut the forums down. I don't recall there being any significant drama, although @Jabi might remember more than me.

Yeah I don't remember any major in-forum flame wars, ED was a rather friendly community. IIRC Reroute was still pretty well received, but STYE not so much. The only bigger squabbles I can think of were with Everdying's "sister forum" InFlamez.com. It was started by one active ED member because she thought ED had become too much about shitting on In Flames (since STYE) and she wanted a more "supportive" fan forum. They had stricter rules and when some Everdyers went over there they soon found themselves banned. This led into a game of sorts, we would go over to IFZ.com, start shit on purpose, get banned and then add "PROUDLY BANNED FROM INFLAMEZ.COM" to our signature. :D Admittedly, it was pretty fucking childish, but considering our ages back then I guess we were sort of excused. :p Eventually Inflamez.com died too, around the same time Archy shut down Everdying I believe.

Yeah I don't remember any major in-forum flame wars, ED was a rather friendly community. IIRC Reroute was still pretty well received, but STYE not so much. The only bigger squabbles I can think of were with Everdying's "sister forum" InFlamez.com. It was started by one active ED member because she thought ED had become too much about shitting on In Flames (since STYE) and she wanted a more "supportive" fan forum. They had stricter rules and when some Everdyers went over there they soon found themselves banned. This led into a game of sorts, we would go over to IFZ.com, start shit on purpose, get banned and then add "PROUDLY BANNED FROM INFLAMEZ.COM" to our signature. :D Admittedly, it was pretty fucking childish, but considering our ages back then I guess we were sort of excused. :p Eventually Inflamez.com died too, around the same time Archy shut down Everdying I believe.

Oh man, I had forgotten all about that :D I don't think I ever got involved in that stuff, but it was pretty funny. I can't even remember what the InFlamez forum looked like.

Just to note this thread has now surpassed the Battles thread as having the most posts ever on a single topic on the IF UM forums, so good job everyone. The flame still burns in spite of the band trying to kill us with SC/Battles :cool:

Just to note this thread has now surpassed the Battles thread as having the most posts ever on a single topic on the IF UM forums, so good job everyone. The flame still burns in spite of the ba
It's amazing but expected seeing how this thread was going just a few months ago.

After listening to the album a few times, not house or the extra one, I'm seriously questioning why did the chose to release house as a single. It has nothing to do with the rest of the album. My only explanation is that they were trolling people.

I think that's the band's job. If it was the label then they don't know what they're doing.

Nope. They are playing catch-all.

So they want to keep the metal crowd, but they are also trying to go fully radio-friendly. So we are getting End-Truth and IAA-House situations.

Reactions: eochaid
Surely "set yourself on fire as we remember this forever" is a reference to the bands name.
Or Stand Ablaze.
Seeing people, and especially A88 praise SWM baffels my mind.
Stay With Me is the single best thing they have done since ASOP, possibly even from CC. Close contender is A New Dawn, maybe TCP. It's like Disturbed's Sound of Silence, but at least it is an original track + IF have a background with ballads.

Stay With Me is the single best thing they have done since ASOP, possibly even from CC. Close contender is A New Dawn, maybe TCP. It's like Disturbed's Sound of Silence, but at least it is an original track + IF have a background with ballads.
I don't really get the DIsturbed comparison, it's like "it's same case, just totally different".

And yeah, Disturbed also had their fair share of ballads/power ballads - Darkness, Remember, Overburned, just to name a few. They just hit the big time with Sound of Silence, so I didn't even bother with Evolution after I heard those sneak peaks.

I don't like bands releasing covers as singles. They took an excellent song, disturbed, adapted it to their style, but not too much, and everybody is praising them. For what? Foe their taste in music?

Haha, first comment under the official Stay With Me video:

Sister of Destruction1 day ago
,, Suicide doesn’t end the chances of life getting worse. It eliminates the possibility of it ever getting better.” STAY WITH ME!

I guess we know how Sis feels about the song, glad we agree.

As for the sound of silence reference: I think it is just as powerful (and even if it just falls short, it's because Simon and Garfunkel, not cuz of Disturbed), and I believe this can be a huge fucking mainstream hit as well. Like, if you show it to any of your friends, whether they like metal or not, chances are good they will love this.

I don't like bands releasing covers as singles. They took an excellent song, disturbed, adapted it to their style, but not too much, and everybody is praising them. For what? Foe their taste in music?
Can't blame them. They could have released any other song, but this one is a stand-out, both album seller and a fantastic promotion for the band. And Draiman is a terrific singer, so there's the praise.
I dislike what they did after, pretty much screwing up all the effort they made so far, just to hit the sales with those slow, sad songs.

As for the sound of silence reference: I think it is just as powerful (and even if it just falls short, it's because Simon and Garfunkel, not cuz of Disturbed), and I believe this can be a huge fucking mainstream hit as well. Like, if you show it to any of your friends, whether they like metal or not, chances are good they will love this.
I guarantee that you won't hear that in any casual radio, that's for sure. I think this description fits Come Clarity much better, or even Liberation. SWM is absolutely great, but it probably takes IF fan to recognize those amazing acoustic melodies followed by harsh Anders. Sound of Silence is more of a unique moody track, fitting every possible sad screnario. Kind of similar to Mad World. Can't say that about Stay With Me, plus it's not exactly X-Factor-ish.

I firmly believe in the power of marketing. IF probably doesn't care, otherwise Metaphor and a radio cut version of TCP had been released as singles and music videos, but I don't think it would take much effort to push Stay With Me into the mainstream. Sad music video, late night talk show appearances, making deals with some charitable organization like suicide preventions to use it in their promotional material, etc.

But as I said, aside from injecting some trendy stuff in their music, I don't think IF has ever tried to go deep into the intricacies of advertisement. They just want their beer and to be on the stage, then go back to their families. Anders already sounds like someone who is about to off himself during the promo interviews, imagine him with Jimmy Kimmel. That's right, you can't :D