IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I may yet do it :D first support act just finished, Light the Torch. Next up Norma Jean, then our boys.

I've somehow ended up at the barrier again, I might just stay here. No idea where my buddies are :D

Jester Slave I have a band for you

I mean, this would fit Battles nicely, except those screams. They are too heavy.

Anyway, I dig the chorus, it's reminiscent of the early 2000s radio metal. Stupid but catchy. They fucked the song up by overcomplicating it at parts, when they clearly don't have any idea how to make actual complex music. Then again, I'm not even sure if it's a joke band and song or not, so all in all I give this a thumbs up. Put that thumb wherever you feel like it.

OK, I'm awake. I have to be honest, as much as I'd like to say fuck those hipster dickheads... IF were actually really, really good last night. They sounded really tight and Anders' performance was way above my expectations. I saw them half a dozen times between 2005-2010, and last night was by far the best I've ever heard him sound live. Admittedly a lot of that was because he didn't do too many cleans, but still. In all the past gigs I went to Anders slowly started losing his voice until by the end of the set he couldn't even scream properly anymore. Last night he was an absolute beast from beginning to end. He had the same power in his growls for the final song as he did the first one. He's obviously changed his technique to do these lower growls, and it really has worked. He sounds great. I never thought I would hear him sound that powerful, so I will admit to being very impressed.

It was probably the lowest crowd I've ever seen for an IF gig. Waterfront is a small venue anyway and it was still so easy to get right to the front. The great thing about the Waterfront is that it's so compact you feel the drums and bass vibrating through your body, which is great at metal gigs. It was also one of the easiest gigs I've been to in terms of not getting pushed, shoved, etc. I don't know if things have changed since I was last going to metal gigs ten years ago, but everybody was so damn polite. It was great as far as being able to get video footage was concerned, but I kinda missed the crazy energy I normally associate with metal gigs. Even Anders commented on how different the crowd was compared to when they were last in Norwich (which was apparently about ten years ago).

The support acts were so-so. Light the Torch is fronted by Howard Jones and are like KsE with less melody. They were alright I guess. At one point Howard slipped and nearly fell over, but fortunately for him there was a platform at the front of the stage to catch him :D Norma Jean were another American Metalcore band... meh. If you're into that kind of music then both these acts were good, but I wasn't a huge fan. These guys were really crammed on stage due to lack of space though. The Waterfront has a fairly small stage to begin with, and the entire back part of the stage was taken up by In Flames' drumkit, with the support bands using another drum kit when had to sit in front of that. It really compressed the space. It was kind of funny watching the support acts try to make the most of the very limited space they had.

So, IF got onto the stage at about 9.25pm having taken about 30 minutes to set up and get ready after Norma Jean finished. Their setlist was as below:

Voices - sounds really good live! Not a huge fan of this on the album but it's pretty awesome live.

Everything's Gone - meh. Not a fan on CD and I don't think it's anything special live either.

Pinball Map - fucking awesome. Anders' sounded great.

Where the Dead Ships Dwell - one of Anders' weaker performances, he just can't do those cleans live. Song was still good though.

Call My Name - actually works very well live. Better than on CD.

Monsters in the Ballroom - sounded okay but again, there are much better songs they could have played.

All For Me - the weakest song on SOAPF, imo, however those heavy riffs do work pretty well live. It was fine.

House - annoying. Anders & Bjorn were really into this one though!

Deep Inside - I liked this on CD and it sounds good in a live setting too. Interestingly the bassist was providing backing vocals here, which is weird as in every other song they just use a backing track. Not sure why on this one specifically they had the bassist do the backing vocal :D I have video which I'll upload later.

Here Until Forever - still sucks but I will say the chorus works better live than it does on CD. Again Anders and Bjorn were loving this, especially the "we will forever be part of history" bit :D

The Chosen Pessimist - OK, so I was expecting to come back here and say this one sucked a dick. Honestly though... it was pretty good. I mean, if it was up to me I'd still replace it with other songs, but this was way different to the last time I heard them play it. It was either 2008 or 2009, but they started the show with TCP and literally played it exactly as it was on ASOP. It was boring as fuck. Since then they've tweaked the song quite a lot for live performance and it sounded decent! Anders' growls in this one were fucking ridiculous. I shot some video and holy shit. You'll see.

Leeches/Colony/My Sweet Shadow - these were all solid, as you'd expect.

The Truth - a bit disappointing. Another one of Anders' weaker performances vocally, and the song didn't have the energy I was expecting.

I Am Above - yeah, they nailed this one. Sounded great. They actually used the bassist for backing vocals here too, so maybe it's just for new songs? I dunno. Weird.

Cloud Connected - classic.

The Mirror's Truth
- this song sounds so good live. If only they could go back and fix that horrendous ASOP production, this would be one of their best songs.

The End - it was OK. Not as impactful as I expected. A song I would actually say is better on CD than live.

So yeah, overall IF put on a really good show. Anders & Bjorn seemed to be enjoying themselves, lots of crowd banter. The dude filling on for Niclas was pretty awesome, he looked the part and was interacting a lot with the crowd. Didn't see that much of the American bros but in fairness they played their parts well. No mishaps as far as I could tell.

I've got about half an hour's worth of video to upload, so I'll post that shortly.

Last edited:
OK, these are going to take a while to upload so I'll post them one by one as they finish. Apologies in advance for it being long-view rather than wide-view, it was really the only way I could comfortably hold the phone in the position I was in. It still captures the whole of the stage I could see, anyway. Full screen advised. Video/audio quality is pretty good imo. I think the P20 Pro did an admirable job here.

Pinball Map/Where the Dead Ships Dwell

TCP

Didn't record the whole thing, but caught the best part. Seriously, dat 12 second growl at the one minute mark. Wtf. Dude must have been injecting some super strength steroids into his throat.

Leeches/Colony/My Sweet Shadow

Love how Anders gives a fist-bump to the unsuspecting security worker at 00:30 :D

Also at 04:50 I'm pretty sure this is Anders giving a shout out to the UM IF forums :cool: especially considering my comments in Ciko's signature. It's conclusive, Anders visits this forum and probably posts too. Show yourself motherfucker.

Alright, one more video to upload after lunch.

OK, I'm awake. I have to be honest, as much as I'd like to say fuck those hipster dickheads... IF were actually really, really good last night. They sounded really tight and Anders' performance was way above my expectations. I saw them half a dozen times between 2005-2010, and last night was by far the best I've ever heard him sound live. Admittedly a lot of that was because he didn't do too many cleans, but still. In all the past gigs I went to Anders slowly started losing his voice until by the end of the set he couldn't even scream properly anymore. Last night he was an absolute beast from beginning to end. He had the same power in his growls for the final song as he did the first one. He's obviously changed his technique to do these lower growls, and it really has worked. He sounds great. I never thought I would hear him sound that powerful, so I will admit to being very impressed.

It was probably the lowest crowd I've ever seen for an IF gig. Waterfront is a small venue anyway and it was still so easy to get right to the front. The great thing about the Waterfront is that it's so compact you feel the drums and bass vibrating through your body, which is great at metal gigs. It was also one of the easiest gigs I've been to in terms of not getting pushed, shoved, etc. I don't know if things have changed since I was last going to metal gigs ten years ago, but everybody was so damn polite. It was great as far as being able to get video footage was concerned, but I kinda missed the crazy energy I normally associate with metal gigs. Even Anders commented on how different the crowd was compared to when they were last in Norwich (which was apparently about ten years ago).

The support acts were so-so. Light the Torch is fronted by Howard Jones and are like KsE with less melody. They were alright I guess. At one point Howard slipped and nearly fell over, but fortunately for him there was a platform at the front of the stage to catch him :D Norma Jean were another American Metalcore band... meh. If you're into that kind of music then both these acts were good, but I wasn't a huge fan. These guys were really crammed on stage due to lack of space though. The Waterfront has a fairly small stage to begin with, and the entire back part of the stage was taken up by In Flames' drumkit, with the support bands using another drum kit when had to sit in front of that. It really compressed the space. It was kind of funny watching the support acts try to make the most of the very limited space they had.

So, IF got onto the stage at about 9.25pm having taken about 30 minutes to set up and get ready after Norma Jean finished. Their setlist was as below:

Voices - sounds really good live! Not a huge fan of this on the album but it's pretty awesome live.

Everything's Gone - meh. Not a fan on CD and I don't think it's anything special live either.

Where the Dead Ships Dwell - one of Anders' weaker performances, he just can't do those cleans live. Song was still good though.

Monsters in the Ballroom - sounded okay but again, there are much better songs they could have played.

All For Me - the weakest song on SOAPF, imo, however those heavy riffs do work pretty well live. It was fine.

Deep Inside - I liked this on CD and it sounds good in a live setting too. Interestingly the bassist was providing backing vocals here, which is weird as in every other song they just use a backing track. Not sure why on this one specifically they had the bassist do the backing vocal :D I have video which I'll upload later.

Here Until Forever - still sucks but I will say the chorus works better live than it does on CD. Again Anders and Bjorn were loving this, especially the "we will forever be part of history" bit :D

The Chosen Pessimist - OK, so I was expecting to come back here and say this one sucked a dick. Honestly though... it was pretty good. I mean, if it was up to me I'd still replace it with other songs, but this was way different to the last time I heard them play it. It was either 2008 or 2009, but they started the show with TCP and literally played it exactly as it was on ASOP. It was boring as fuck. Since then they've tweaked the song quite a lot for live performance and it sounded decent! Anders' growls in this one were fucking ridiculous. I shot some video and holy shit. You'll see.

The Truth - a bit disappointing. Another one of Anders' weaker performances vocally, and the song didn't have the energy I was expecting.

I Am Above - yeah, they nailed this one. Sounded great. They actually used the bassist for backing vocals here too, so maybe it's just for new songs? I dunno. Weird.

The Mirror's Truth
- this song sounds so good live. If only they could go back and fix that horrendous ASOP production, this would be one of their best songs.

The End - it was OK. Not as impactful as I expected. A song I would actually say is better on CD than live.

So yeah, overall IF put on a really good show. Anders & Bjorn seemed to be enjoying themselves, lots of crowd banter. The dude filling on for Niclas was pretty awesome, he looked the part and was interacting a lot with the crowd. Didn't see that much of the American bros but in fairness they played their parts well. No mishaps as far as I could tell.

I've got about half an hour's worth of video to upload, so I'll post that shortly.
What an emotional read!! I am glad they delivered. IF live is a whole different experience.

Were they selling ITM at the venue? Did your friends buy it?
Also at 04:50...
Motherfucker :D:D I can just imagine you telling him backstage that there's this JS guy on a forum who constantly talks shit about them, and Anders be like damn, what an asshole! :D

I Am Above/Cloud Connected

OK, this is the final video I shot. This was right at the end of the gig and you can hear Anders' growls are still awesome. Respect. To give some context to what's happening about a minute in, some oddball in the crowd is gesturing for IF to hurry up. I guess because it was getting close to curfew and IF still had three songs left to play. Anders proceeds to single him out and rib him a little, further wasting time. It's hilarious because the guy was standing there looking fucking petrified that Anders was directly addressing him, whilst people around him were laughing at and/or insulting him. Not sure what he was expecting.

I'm disappointed I didn't get to record TMT and The End, but by this point I was constantly checking my phone for the time. They started playing TMT at roughly 22:50 and my train left at 23:05 - and it was the last train, so I'd be totally screwed if I missed it :D fortunately the venue was literally 2-3 mins from the train station at a jog, so I ended up getting to the train with about a minute to spare, but man it was close. I just about heard The End before bolting out the door. I didn't really want to have to run after standing up for 4 hours already, but I also didn't want to get stuck in Norwich for 6 hours to wait for the 5am train out :D so needs must. It was worth it.

What an emotional read!! I am glad they delivered. IF live is a whole different experience.

Were they selling ITM at the venue? Did your friends buy it?

My friends already had the album so no, however I didn't see any physical albums available, only t-shirts. Waterfront was a last minute change in venue and is pretty small so that might be why.

Motherfucker :D:D I can just imagine you telling him backstage that there's this JS guy on a forum who constantly talks shit about them, and Anders be like damn, what an asshole! :D

:D sadly I didn't get to speak with them directly. There was only a brief moment when Anders noticed my TJR shirt and nodded, to which I replied with mock surprise "you know this album?" ... he took it in good humour but did roll his eyes at me :D should have added a "fuck Howard Benson" in there too, but I think that might have crossed the banter line :heh:

The Mirror's Truth

Told you :p (especially about TCP) .

Told you :p (especially about TCP) .

Honestly I just assumed they were doing like they did in 2008/2009 and just playing it exactly how it is on the album. I remember that being bad. This was different though. They definitely rearranged parts of it, and Anders was doing way more growling than he did on the album. The way they did it this time around was actually pretty cool, so even though I'd still prefer to hear something else, I was OK with TCP being there this time around. Put it this way, I'd take TCP over having to hear Delight & Angers.

What I did find strange is that I would say Anders growled 80% of the set, even on a lot of the 'clean' parts, so I'm not sure why there's such an emphasis on clean vocals for the modern albums. Seems like he's far more comfortable nowadays with his harsh vocals, I'd say more so than he's probably ever been, so why not bring more of that to the albums? We've heard he sounds great on songs like ITM and IAA, so why not keep it going if he's going to growl almost everything live anyway? Back in the day he couldn't really growl/scream or sing properly in live sets, his harsh vocals would always start to falter mid-set and his cleans have never been great. Now he seems to be able to growl powerfully and comfortably for an entire set, he was showing no signs of vocal fatigue last night even right at the end. That was the most surprising thing for me. If he's gotten to such a good point with his harsh vocal technique then I feel like that should be the focus going forward, with cleans toned down to a few choruses or breakdown parts. Pretty much like he was doing on Reroute/STYE/CC.

What I did find strange is that I would say Anders growled 80% of the set, even on a lot of the 'clean' parts, so I'm not sure why there's such an emphasis on clean vocals for the modern albums. Seems like he's far more comfortable nowadays with his harsh vocals, I'd say more so than he's probably ever been, so why not bring more of that to the albums? We've heard he sounds great on songs like ITM and IAA, so why not keep it going if he's going to growl almost everything live anyway? Back in the day he couldn't really growl/scream or sing properly in live sets, his harsh vocals would always start to falter mid-set and his cleans have never been great. Now he seems to be able to growl powerfully and comfortably for an entire set, he was showing no signs of vocal fatigue last night even right at the end. That was the most surprising thing for me. If he's gotten to such a good point with his harsh vocal technique then I feel like that should be the focus going forward, with cleans toned down to a few choruses or breakdown parts. Pretty much like he was doing on Reroute/STYE/CC.
Howard-Benson-768x489.jpg

Reactions: mindd
It was probably Jester Slave

Nah, I think Slave would have screamed "FUCK YOU AND FUCK LUNAR STRAIN" back at him, before cursing in Japanese and throwing up some kind of offensive Hungarian hand sign. Then security would have escorted him off the premises whilst he yelled about how nobody except him understands the beauty of Siren Charms.