IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I’m gonna say December 7th is the release for my guesstimate. With three singles released before then. And the first about the middle of September.

For real though, someone explain to me that phenomenon, where the guy's quality of work remained the same since he was probably 8 years old. He clearly uses shitty equipment, he has no idea how to cut a video material properly, and he has no fantasy whatsoever when it comes to storytelling.

Even his generic "the band plays the song" music videos are barely passable. Is he deliberately sticking to this trash style? Did he find his niche in making so fucking bad videos that you actually want to watch them, ie. the music video versions of the likes of Sharknado? There is no way that someone who is supposed to be passionate about his creative work can remain this bad after being in the job for decades.

It's fucking sad, because music videos like The Mirror's Truth, Everything's Gone and Here Until Forever are really cool and memorable - even if they are not of the highest quality, at least they try to be different. Also, IF clearly pays attention (and probably a lot of money) for artwork stuff, and music videos could be another iteration of those.

It pisses me off to no end that the guy can make a living by making godawful music videos with his shitty, 20$ camera.

Reactions: ciko_gfb and Ilias7
To be fair all their videos are bad going all the way back. Best ones are videos of real live performances.
For real though, someone explain to me that phenomenon, where the guy's quality of work remained the same since he was probably 8 years old. He clearly uses shitty equipment, he has no idea how to cut a video material properly, and he has no fantasy whatsoever when it comes to storytelling.

Even his generic "the band plays the song" music videos are barely passable. Is he deliberately sticking to this trash style? Did he find his niche in making so fucking bad videos that you actually want to watch them, ie. the music video versions of the likes of Sharknado? There is no way that someone who is supposed to be passionate about his creative work can remain this bad after being in the job for decades.

It's fucking sad, because music videos like The Mirror's Truth, Everything's Gone and Here Until Forever are really cool and memorable - even if they are not of the highest quality, at least they try to be different. Also, IF clearly pays attention (and probably a lot of money) for artwork stuff, and music videos could be another iteration of those.

It pisses me off to no end that the guy can make a living by making godawful music videos with his shitty, 20$ camera.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh8x3UTD6ur/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tf6np8a1ifp1
Some info I've just realised I forgot to share with you, guys.
It's an old instagram video of Niclas jamming on a cool riff ( while Anders and Bjorn were in America ). Some guy wrote in the comments that he hopes that's a riff from the new In Flames album and Niclas liked it. It sounds like In Flames, indeed. What do you think?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bid9y1wHGBW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1bojojde6e0ao
And another one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh8x3UTD6ur/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tf6np8a1ifp1
It's an old instagram video of Niclas jamming on a cool riff ( while Anders and Bjorn were in America ). Some guy wrote in the comments that he hopes that's a riff from the new In Flames album and Niclas liked it. It sounds like In Flames, indeed. What do you think?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bid9y1wHGBW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1bojojde6e0ao
And another one.
Probably no. But it can be. I don't know.

And another one.

Some parts of the first video reminds me Wallflower which included parts written by Niclas. I like the first one actually, could end up on the album, who knows.

Reactions: Vermyn and Ilias7
Ullaeus is fine. I think he has a pretty decent eye for directing and is good at switching things up, from "The Quiet Place" (cheesy but iconic) to Dark Tranquillity's "Uniformity" (love those post-processing effects, + fantastic direction for the song's outro) to At the Gates' "Death and the Labyrinth" (good desert aesthetic, very magic-realism, which is basically At the Gates' thing these days). You could do a lot worse.

What I will say about him is he has an uncanny knack for setting up such silly shots of the band members. Those off-model slow-mo shots of Anders in "Rusted Nail," that silly slo-mo shot of Lindberg just screaming in "Death and the Labyrinth" — even Mikael Stanne looks kind of weird in "Uniformity." So I guess he's a little campy, too.

He also did "To Drink from the Night Itself," which is probably my favorite music video to come out of the Gothenburg trio in years.

The best IF video was probably for Come Clarity , band playing on a desert in The middle of nowhere, this sad girl walking like a ghost and asteroids, amazing idea!

That's a cool video for sure. The meteors at the end look pretty dated now, but that's okay. That song came on my work commute shuffle the other day and it's still awesome.

Reactions: Vermyn
*OFFICIALLY* The greatest vocal performance by Anders since Moonshield live Hellfest '17:

HD alternate view

Deep growls the whole song and lower pitch through the verses. True melodic death metal performance here, people.

Reactions: Ilias7 and Vermyn
Jesus, Björn with that ugly hairline. Getting old must suck!

As for Anders, I'll be absolutely baffled if he only makes growly/screamy song on the next record and even that will be on the level of Through My Eyes (= weak, though the song itself is passable). I mean, he is famous (or infamous, take your pick) for boosting up his abilities in the studio, so if he has been willing to revisit some of his older vocal styles, there is really no excuse for not making 2 or 3 decent songs with it. He doesn't even have to play them live.

Anders has always been able to effortlessly access really good growls. He can still belt out any older song (Gyroscope ;)) live

Not that I personally prefer him to sing every song like that of course...

But to death-growl almost the entire song of Colony like that was interesting... In years past, he'd basically talk through the verses and scream the hooks

Reactions: Ilias7
Anders sounds fantastic in that Colony vid. It seems like recently he's finally learned how to growl/scream properly without hurting his throat. His biggest mistake during the earlier years especially was that he had no technique to his screams. They sounded good in studio but you could hear how painful they were to perform live. Some of the bootlegs from the 2000s are hard to listen to at times. I think he probably did some damage back then that possibly is permanent. His growls in the latest live vids are much more controlled, so good for him. I doubt we'll hear much of that in the new stuff though, I don't get the impression he's interested in creating many more new songs which require a lot of harsh vocals. It's a shame as he's much better at performing those than cleans.

The music video discussion had me chuckling a little. I can't remember the last time I gave a shit about a music video. Normally I'll only watch them nowadays because it's the earliest way to hear a new song. The last In Flames video I cared about was probably Come Clarity. They've had some good ones though. The OFTW video is amusing to me, it's like the director said to everybody except Anders "you've gotta be fucking metal, guys. No smiling, don't look like you're enjoying yourself. Be depressed and pissed off at the same time". Meanwhile Anders is doing the whole "tortured soul" thing, which is just hilarious.

Cloud Connected, Trigger, Come Clarity and Deliver Us are all cool videos. I only really care about the music though.

I agree, the music is all that matters, but I always enjoy a good video combined. I am not a big fan of Ullaeus' work either. Deliver Us is my favourite music video. I mean get the band to play inside a ferris wheel at night with fireworks all around is pretty cool and the quality is fine. Rusted Nail had potential in the beginning, but it ended up being another simple band performing video. Come Clarity is interesting and that is all. The music videos from Battles were the worst.

Anders' screams and growls are better than ever live in the past few years. He went to a vocal coach before Battles and I give him credit for that. Also, if I can remember correctly he never had a throat problem so they had to replace him or cancel a tour, right? Maybe that means his technique is right, considering he constantly switches in live shows from screaming to singing and backwards, which is dangerous and tricky.

They announced more shows in USA in late October. There is no way the album will be released before they start touring again, so I think they are aiming for a December release and having a couple of singles out before to play them live.

Last edited:
Anders' screams and growls are better than ever live in the past few years. He went to a vocal coach before Battles and I give him credit for that. Also, if I can remember correctly he never had a throat problem so they had to replace him or cancel a tour, right? Maybe that means his technique is right, considering he constantly switches in live shows from screaming to singing and backwards, which is dangerous and tricky

I remember the stuff about him going to a vocal coach, but I always assumed that was for cleans rather than growls/screams, especially as Battles is majority cleans. If he did get some coaching for harsh vocals too then good on him, he's needed it for a while imo.

You're right that he's never had to cancel any tours or take time off, which is somewhat impressive. Stanne had to take a year off because his screaming technique had fucked his voice up. You can notice a very distinct change in his voice between Damage Done and Character. The technique he used post-Damage Done is far safer, although I admit to preferring his vocals pre-Character. Still, safety first. He probably wouldn't be doing vocals at all now if he'd continued on the way he was.

Anders should probably have considered taking time off or adapting his technique around the same time though. I mean, case in point is Seoul 2002:

You can't listen to that and think that it sounds healthy. He's even reaching to his throat/chest area a few times. It's a bit hard to watch. Lots of bootlegs from around that time period (2001-2003 especially) are similar - his vocals sound worryingly strained. He got it together for STYE and Come Clarity, but in the long run I'm not sure that helped as on ASOP he sounds terrible, and that's with studio magic on top.

Reactions: Ilias7