IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

*OFFICIALLY* The greatest vocal performance by Anders since Moonshield live Hellfest '17:

HD alternate view

Deep growls the whole song and lower pitch through the verses. True melodic death metal performance here, people.

Fucking sick! Nice post. I just wish he did that on albums.

Reactions: only4theweak187
I'm actually really appreciate him going to a vocal coach. He should of done that waaaay earlier in his career, it'll help him use more proper techniques.

Reactions: Ilias7
Anders sounds fantastic in that Colony vid. It seems like recently he's finally learned how to growl/scream properly without hurting his throat.

Did you just said good things about Anders? Its 2018 and I'm still seeing new things! :D

*OFFICIALLY* The greatest vocal performance by Anders since Moonshield live Hellfest '17:

HD alternate view

Deep growls the whole song and lower pitch through the verses. True melodic death metal performance here, people.

Yeah its pretty good. I was looking old performances of Colony and found this one. Its pretty painful to hear this, you've been warned.

Extremely moronic to keep touring like this. They probbaly had a million shows back then, and understandably wanted to ride the money train, but if he had ended up irreversibly damaging or even destroying his chords, then it would've been in vain.

Anyhow, as glad as I am about his newly found growls, I'm still sad that we will probably not hear him scream like in the R2R-CC era. That's my favorite singing style from Anders.

Yeah its pretty good. I was looking old performances of Colony and found this one. Its pretty painful to hear this, you've been warned.

Oh man, the Hultsfred videos are pretty fucked up :D you can tell Anders is totally wasted. The Black & White video is the worst/best:

00:48 he's swaying around like he's about to fall over, then at 1:16 he totally forgets the lyrics to the first verse and pretty much stumbles badly through it :D then he forgets the first half of the second verse as well, before finally recovering for the last two lines. There's a shot of Jesper right afterwards looking at Anders like "wtf?". I do like how the chorus sounds in this vid, although it's all pre-recorded vocals from the album. I also totally would have bought a [Link]In Flames t-shirt.

Extremely moronic to keep touring like this. They probbaly had a million shows back then, and understandably wanted to ride the money train, but if he had ended up irreversibly damaging or even destroying his chords, then it would've been in vain.

Anyhow, as glad as I am about his newly found growls, I'm still sad that we will probably not hear him scream like in the R2R-CC era. That's my favorite singing style from Anders.

Their touring schedule during the 2000s was absolutely insane. They had no time off whatsoever. Anders really is lucky he didn't totally destroy his voicebox. It did raise their profile massively, so I guess in that sense it was worth it, but it was very risky and arguably contributing to Jesper's breakdown in 2009/2010. I imagine his severe alcoholism was at least partially related to that brutal schedule.

My favourite album for Anders' screams was probably Colony. He sounded amazing during that period of 1998-1999. Even live his vocals were spot on:

God damn he sounds awesome during this whole show. It was obviously too much though, as by Clayman there is a really noticeable weakening of his vocals both on album and live.

I once read that, at the end of cc tour he was harshly critiziced for his vocals. I think that it had everything to do with him damaging his voice.

I vaguely remember he did sound pretty shit towards the end of the Come Clarity tour. I saw In Flames at Bloodstock 2007 and the whole band sounded bad. It's not often Bjorn and Jesper have an off night but they definitely did that night. Then ASOP came out, then I went to see them live in... 2009? Or 2010, can't remember exactly, but either way they opened with TCP in its entirety and I was even more pissed off. They did play Satellites and Astronauts as well, so that kind of made up for it, but still... the opening was 8 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I think, if I'm right, that, since cc tour Anders has never used again the early 2000's scream. And that might be because he can't use it anymore because of the abuse of those years. It doesn't matter. I think that those songs are also suited for his growls, if he wants to use them, of course. And maybe that's ine of the reasons to why their setlists are mostly songs from asop onwards.

Anders prefers to growl I think... Voice-health wise. He can do it so easily and has been throwing it in to random parts of songs for a very long time live.

Would be great if they threw in just a few more older songs (they have a lot more in recent years I know which is great)...

I'm talking songs like; Episode 666 or random tracks from Reroute, Colony & Soundtrack mostly growled. So many epics to choose from.

I know we have this discussion every time, but still... haha

I think, if I'm right, that, since cc tour Anders has never used again the early 2000's scream. And that might be because he can't use it anymore because of the abuse of those years. It doesn't matter. I think that those songs are also suited for his growls, if he wants to use them, of course. And maybe that's ine of the reasons to why their setlists are mostly songs from asop onwards.
I don't it's about using certain techniques, more that it's his vocal evolution and he can't sound like that even if he tried. You can just compare his Whoracle vocals to even Colony, they are extremely different. I'd say Colony and Clayman is when he started to have some sort of technique. But really R2R onward when he's pretty much solely has had his high pitched vocals (while not doing clean vocals) is the style he's comfortable with since he hasn't really changed his screaming or growling vocal style since then at all. I really liked his mid-pitched vocal period though, especially on the Colony and somewhat on Clayman as well.

Yeah he really killed it there. The lower pitch is what did it for me. I'd be amped af if I was there. This song should be an IF classic played live way more
Yeah I know his death growls are insane, that's why I've said my favorite performance by far was when I heard Food For the Gods live in 2015 and he did the entire song with only death growls.

What he has done for the past decade cannot be called screaming. More like "painful call for help".

And yes. He has changed it. He cannot scream anymore as he did back in the day.

I don't think it's even debatable that Anders was using bad technique in the late 90's and early 00's. Whether it was "wrong" depends on how you apply the word, I suppose, but it was definitely bad. His voice has huge deterioration between 1998 - 2003. He might have gotten used to it for a while after that, bit it still caught up with him by end of 2007 and his vocals have never been the same since. They haven't "evolved" they've just been worn down. Listen to an interview with Anders, you can hear how badly his voice has suffered. He sometimes sound like somebody who's been chain smoking for decades. It's especially obvious when he's interviewing with someone like Bjorn who sounds much healthier vocally.

But it isn't just Anders. All those dudes back then didn't know what they were doing to their voices. They knew it sounded cool and was becoming popular underground so they kept doing it, but none of them were able to keep it going in the long term because those types of screams just aren't sustainable over a long period with touring involved. The human voice box isn't meant to work that way. That's why all of them - Lindberg, Stanne, Speed, even Anders now, have had to adapt to a lower pitched, less emotional but much more controlled growl/scream technique. It's the only way to keep doing it without blowing your larynx out.

It kind sucks though as I really dig the early melodeath form of screaming. This performance of Lethe by DT is one of my favourites just because of Stanne's vocals. He could never do it like this nowadays.

I totally forgot about that one, used to listen to it a bit shortly after SOAPF came out, the guitar lead is indeed very nice, and you can't really hear it in the normal version.

Reactions: Clay-Man
I totally forgot about that one, used to listen to it a bit shortly after SOAPF came out, the guitar lead is indeed very nice, and you can't really hear it in the normal version.
Yeah it's really hard to make out and I'm really good at listening to songs to figure out what's being played. Had to go to the instrumental version to get the notes right.

It's why I think Deliver Us is actually a really good song because of the layers of harmonies and the asthetic to the sound blends really well.

Yeah I generally really like to hear instrumental versions of any bands songs because you can really hear cool shit you don't really hear otherwise. I used to watch a lot of that dude Schehf or whatever that did huge amount of IF guitar covers, could hear some really cool rhythm & lead parts that was hard to seperate with vocals on top.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
Yeah I generally really like to hear instrumental versions of any bands songs because you can really hear cool shit you don't really hear otherwise. I used to watch a lot of that dude Schehf or whatever that did huge amount of IF guitar covers, could hear some really cool rhythm & lead parts that was hard to seperate with vocals on top.

Ah yes da Schehf! Now he just makes Volkswagen and car reviews. He had one recently with his guitar. His band wasn’t bad either.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
So, I was watching the asop documentary and, for that album, they've recorded 17 songs. So there are two missing songs while I always thought that there was only one.