In Flames - old or new?

^ I was thinking exactly the same thing. The change in their style after Clayman is fairly drastic and moved them from Melodic Death Metal to "Melodeath"

The first three releases (Lunar Strain, Subterranean, and The Jester Race) are great. Whoracle and Colony are pretty good, Clayman is damn good but pretty poppy. R2R and Soundtrack are fucking godawful. Really really bad. I personally love Come Clarity and the last one, but I recognize that most people won't like them at all (and the last one is barely metal).

Both. Still, some of the new shit is a bit annoying. Reroute to Remain is their worst.

moved them from Melodic Death Metal to "Melodeath"

Please stop that shit. Melodeath will always just be a shortened word for melodic death metal. Call it modern melodic death metal instead. But In Flames are alternative melodic metal these days, nothing more nothing less.

Both. Still, some of the new shit is a bit annoying. Reroute to Remain is their worst.

Please stop that shit. Melodeath will always just be a shortened word for melodic death metal. Call it modern melodic death metal instead. But In Flames are alternative melodic metal these days, nothing more nothing less.

Their new stuff sounds like a different band =S

No man, im tired of the usage of the word "melodeath." Some use it for the whole spectrum of melodic death metal, some use it for the more modern melodic metal bands, some use it for metal with keyboards, others with digital recording. Melodeath = Melodic death metal. Btw, you should check out their debut album (Lunar Strain) Velo, good stuff even if you might hate everything else they have done.

Any song recommendations?

Old stuff, but some of their newer stuff is also excellent.

On topic: Hands down, Behind Space is the greatest song In Flames ever wrote, from the start to finish, masterpiece melodic death metal track with some folkish underlines.

Behind Space is good, but I'd say both Clad in Shadows and Upon An Oaken Throne top it.

As far as the hate, I don't really see how people can object to stuff like this:

Last edited by a moderator: