In, out

hyena

counterclockwise
Apr 13, 2002
-
No, this thread is not about sex :p

Can you please tell me a few things about yourselves and your country? It doesn't matter if your country is mine, too (HAHAHA! YOUR COUNTRY IS MINE!) - i'm interested in different takes.

- do you live with your parents, by yourself/with room-mates, or with your partner?

- what are the reasons behind your choice (e.g. desire for independence, strict parents, no money etc depending on the answer)?

- what's the general trend for young people (18-26 or so) in your country? do they mostly live at home?

- does your government do anything to help young people move out of parental homes?

- does this extend or is limited to people who start families?

USA

- do you live with your parents, by yourself/with room-mates, or with your partner?

One flatmate (we share a 2-bedroom apartment atm).

- what are the reasons behind your choice (e.g. desire for independence, strict parents, no money etc depending on the answer)?

Freedom of doing what I want to do when I want to.

- what's the general trend for young people (18-26 or so) in your country? do they mostly live at home?

Depends. In the cities it's mostly roommates (even though if parents live in the same city, but that would depend on necessity/money situation in every given case), in rural/suburban areas - with family.

- does your government do anything to help young people move out of parental homes?

Why should it? There are enough opportunities out there, the way I see it.

I'm not sure if there's any support of that kind in the States, could be some kind of an article regarding low-income families, but fortunately enough I'm not one of those.

Now, let's talk about sex.

-parents.

-i study in the same city where my parents live, so it would be stupid (economically speaking) to go live in an apartment by my own. seeing as i don't work and my brother is studying in another city with financial help from my parents, the choices are limited.

-from what i see, the majority is people who study in a city different than the one where their parental home is, so they live in an apartment by themselves. the rest who study in the same city, like me, live with parents, unless they're insanely rich. i can't tell about people who work since i don't know many, but i guess it all comes down to where their job is located and financial ability. and possibly to having a better half too, with which they desire to live.

-yes, it has a fucked up system of entrance in unis, which more often than not forces them to study somewhere else. good for the kids, bad for the parents' accounts.

-i'm sure people who get married have some financial benefits, but my knowledge is limited about this.

I live with my boyfriend

I first started to live by myself (and alone in a small 1 room appartment) because of the studies. My parents live in a small village and so i had to go to a city to study. I didnt even chose the closest, because there was no uni for what i wanted to study there.

Then i moved because i wanted to live with my boyfriend.

in Belgium: most of the people who are going to college/university rent a small room(sometimes with an own kitchen and a bathroom, sometimes with a common kitchen and bathroom for 2 to 4 people -like an appartment where everyone has its own room, but you meet first the owner of it, and do not have too look for an appartment with people you already know- Thats annoying because you dont always get to see who is going to be your roommate before you really live there), or live in a dorm during the week and come back every week end at their parents (As Belgium is very small and Walloons study in Wallonia and Flemishs in Flanders, it makes the distances even smaller).
Those who already live in a city where there is a university mostly study there and live with their parents. People living near a town with a university sometimes live by themselves, sometimes with the parents and take the train every day to go to college.

In Germany, I'd say that most of the young people who study lives by themselves, in appartments where they have a room, and share the rest with other students. But here it's not like in Belgium, you meet the other students of such a "community" and then the students deceide which one they want if they have more visits. You dont get to see the owner at all unless you look for an own appart with some of your friends.

I dont know, but in Belgium there are some social helps for people who dont have enough money to pay all their bills, etc etc... but this isnt specifically created for students or young people. Its rather for people who dont have a job since a long time (mostly because they are lazy, you should see how much this help can apy sometimes) or cant have one because they are too sick or too old.

I dont know. But I know that in Belgium you usually receive money from the state when you give birth to a baby (one time a quite big amount, like 1000euros, then you get a little money every month, the amount also increases with the age of the child)

-i live with 2 other girls in the town where i study, during holidays and most weekends i come back home to my parents.

-in this town's university there wasn't anything i could/wanted to do. my parents' town is not very far from where i study, but it's very badly connected to it, the possibilities were: 1) waste 3 or 4 hours every day waiting for train connections to come home. 2) use my mother's car bringing her to work in the morning and picking her up in the evening, this meant coming home every day at 8/9pm and nowhere to stay all day. plus depriving my mother of the car every time she was home and needed to go somewhere. 3) finding a cheap but nice place to stay, which i did :) the costs in the end aren't much higher than in the previous options.

-i think yes, the ones that study generally do (or they live somewhere else, but they still depend on their parents). also many young people that work still live with their parents, in the beginning it's hard to make enough money to cover all the expenses, especially if you plan to live alone.

-not that i know of, at least not in a significant way.

-i think so, but i have no idea about what and how much.

Parents.

I'm a student with a low income.

Most get married around 18-22, without having any college studies nor a decent job. Lots of undesired pregnancies. Lots of divorces.

That a joke?

There's no government help whatsoever. It's all about Darwin here.

Live with my parents.

Umm......living with them, it's the only choice for me, cause I don't have any financal source.

they mostly live in the dorm privided by the university or conpany.Some collage students lived with their boyfriend(girlfriend) which was boycotted in all campus.They do it sceretly...no one lived with their parents anymore.

Young people trend to struggle for the better life which seems to have their own fabulous house and cars paying by themselives,not need the help-hand from their parents.You don't know,the price of paying a house is unbelivable high.Young man took more responsibility than woman,they try their best to get the Master's degree since it's a symbol,having this,you could get more payment.Then they have to buy house and car,got married.(26-30)Still,they have to Support their parents too,they raised you up,now it's your turn.

No way,no idea about why the government do this??

Never,but I think poor man should not get married...they have to know if they got married,they would take responsibility for support the whole family.But in the remoted place,somewhere in the mountain area(very poor place),the local young man just married with the woman that were sold by the illegal woman/children dealer(horrible anyway....).I'd like to see the government pay their attention on this kinda stuff.

Now, my answer is basically Plin's except for two changes.

I live with my fiancee, for the freedom to do what we want. I lived on my own for a year in college to have independence as well.

I do know of two support mechanisms - one is for students who live at least a certain distance away from home, and it may be local to NY itself, but I know a few people who I went to college with got such aid. The other is that the government (again, might just be NY) will help to house (aka, up to free housing) single new mothers going to a state college (vs. a private institution). This also pays very well, apparently.

~kov.

I do know of two support mechanisms - one is for students who live at least a certain distance away from home, and it may be local to NY itself, but I know a few people who I went to college with got such aid. The other is that the government (again, might just be NY) will help to house (aka, up to free housing) single new mothers going to a state college (vs. a private institution). This also pays very well, apparently.

I think housing is a part of some scholarships, which don't really [always] depend on your financial status, but on how you are doing at school.

This might be changing from Uni to Uni and even from state to state.

Germany

There are two things you can apply to that I know of, one would be the "Student Support", where they calculate a monthly sum of money, like a rent, based on your personal fortune, your parent's income and the number of siblings. You have to pay back a certain part of the money you receive, how much, I dont know, since I dont qualify for said support.
The other would be translated as "Housing Support", money you receive so you can rent an apartment, when your income is lower than a certain level. This support, you dont have to pay back at all.

Here in Bremen, a surprising amount of people still live with their parents, or only a few miles away. Id say 2/3 are from the city, about 90% are from the city or the closer region. Surprising, because I never considered staying in my hometown for my studies. Not that it was unbearable at home, not at all, but it was always a step I thought necessary to take. To me, the beginning of my studies was the beginning of my independence from my parents and I never considered staying for my studies.
From my graduation class, maybe a third stayed in my hometown, though most moved into their own flats I think.
For people in apprenticeships, Id say it's common to live with their parents until they're done. Id say for most, when they consider marriage is when they consider moving out, though I dont know that many people doing apprenticeships.

Canada:

I'm 19, and I live with my parents.

I can't afford to live on my own. I work in a CD store; it doesn't pay very much. Thanks for downloading, you guys. :loco:

I'd say it is about 50/50. In places like Calgary, a lot of young people live with their parents because housing is so ridiculous. In smaller towns, a lot of young people move out right away and move to larger cities... like Calgary.

Only if they are going to college/university, though I think it really depends on which province you live in.

The large majority of people currently attending college/university aren't going to start a family, so I'll say that it does not really support people who want to start a family.

ITALY

I still live with my parents since I'm a student and I cant cope with a full-time job to fly the nest, but I'm working on that.

Well, considering the situation we have in Italy and the main trends of today's young people..I think it's quite usual for them to stay at home till they're around 25-30. I don't know about any financial facilities coming from the government for young people willing to move..

Slovakia:

I live with my wife at her parents house. We have our own privacy, so all is good.

Housing is quite expensive here, and as the house we live in is located in quiet surroundings, has a beautiful big garden, the choice wasnt that hard.

They do. Theres quite a lot of undesired pregnancies at high schools, but on the whole people dont tend to marry early, they live with their parents and spend the money elsewhere.

Well, there is some sort of financial help (called housing contribution), but that doesnt do much.

These are two different things, one is the housing contribution, the other is called child contribution, and represents a one-time contribution to the family when their 1st child is born. Again, rather a populistic gesture than a real solution, but better than nothing.

22/M/Finland!

I live by myself/with a room-mate (the room-mate is absent at the moment)

Moved here for uni, even though i'd probably be living on my own by now even if I was working in the town my parents live in.

Most of the people I know move to live on their own around the age of 18-21, I'd say at most 5% of the people older than that that I know are still living with their parents. Reasons for moving out may vary but most usual ones are studying in another town, moving together with a boy-/girlfriend or simply the need for independence.

Being a student you get around 260 euros a month and 80% of your rent up to around 250 euros a month paid by government. Only requirements are certain progress in your studies. You also have an option to loan 300eur/month guaranteed by government at a low intrest, which you don't have to start paying back until after you've graduated.

- does this extend or is limited to people who start families?[/quote]

I don't know about starting families (I heard it involves making babies, someone teach me?) and the benefits they might get.

i forgot to say that i get 200 euros/month from the government, every student get that, you also get that when you go to school (but when you are in school you dont get as much as 200 euros. The amount of money you get increases with the age of the kid)

Then do like I do and kick them out!

It could be a solution but you know..it's not so easy for the majority of people to manage with responsibilities..and at this point the reason of this problem has to be searched not only in their habits or in society..it's also a matter of education. Since they're used to believe and have someone providing them with their needs...everything will be useless. Also parents should be educated to avoid this tendence I think.

@DarkVampire: I was suggesting you kick out your parents, not the other way around. ;) I've seen on the Discovery Channel that 9 parents out of 10 can survive in the wild even if they were raised in captivity.