"Inner beauty"?

osse87

Feb 6, 2003
Bergen, Norway
Visit site
I am a great fan of Opeth and really like their music, both for "entertainment" and for the emotion and stuff like that.

I sometimes feel that behind the most vicious scream for Mike's mouth there's some sort of beauty in their music. Some of you say that the music is brutal and evil and crushing and [insert vital organ here]-ripping calls from hell or whatever. I kind of feel like the music is not "evil" in any way, it's just heavy because it "needs" to be heavy to portay the kind of emotion you find in their music. (now don't say that they make their music heavy only because they need to, it's their choise obviously). I'm just saying their music is a way to express emotion and epic tales (Still Life and MAYH).

Is it some of you guys who are to obsessed with music being evil and shit or is it me who's a stupid fanboy asshole who hears voices my head and fail to realize that metal is brutal, and that's the only thing that counts?

:confused:

Well, it was either Mike or Peter who said the theme of Deliverance was "the connection between darkness and beauty" or something like that.

On a side note, I've always wondered about people who don't understand death vocals. They ask "Why do they need to do that?" Well, after hearing the music WITH death vocals, can you imagine it without them? I can't. The music requires it, IMHO.

KennonKun said:
Well, it was either Mike or Peter who said the theme of Deliverance was "the connection between darkness and beauty" or something like that.

On a side note, I've always wondered about people who don't understand death vocals. They ask "Why do they need to do that?" Well, after hearing the music WITH death vocals, can you imagine it without them? I can't. The music requires it, IMHO.
About the Deliverance issue, now I've would really like to know what they meant with darkness. Evil or sadness? The latter, I think. :Spin:

As for the growls. I used to hate them before, I kind of understand people who do actually. Anyways, as I was slowly getting used to it I saw a post on another forum I'm in saying something similar to what you said.

"When you first hear and heavy song with growls in it, can you imagine the same song without the growls?"

I must say I agree.

ChrisEmerson said:
i think people who like the music just because its heavy / brutal are liking it for the wrong reason.
I'd disagree with this one. I used to be a huge fan of brutal death metal like Deicide and Cryptopsy and Immolation. The thing that I liked so much about it was the energy. It's like the energy of trash... it gives you a feeling of power, it makes you happy to listen to. Brutality is the same, its heavy and its got a lot of energy and power.

KennonKun said:
One of my friends said that Mike should sing like Slipknot. I laughed at him. Another one once said he should sing like Bruce Dickenson and that he's too mellow to like growling. I told him he doesn't know shit and then he said he was going to punch me and then I called him a dick. My friends are assholes.

like steve wilson said on the dvd....there is something about opeth that has nothing to do with metal at all.....

even in some of their heaviest passages, the emotions that i feel have nothing to do with anger or the urge to headbang....its awesome....

mike said on the dvd, about something in Wreath i think, that he loved one of the effects because it was so "evil." I'm sure there are other parts similar to this he would classify as evil. Beautiful is a very vague word. Because if you're going to classify all the heavy stuff as beautiful, just beautiful, AND classify the mellow stuff as beautiful, what value does Beautiful even have? I would agree that Opeth's music is emotive, but what good music isn't? It just depends what emotion you are trying to stir up. A good example of this comes from an Agalloch song called "As embers dress the sky." In the song, it starts off very aggressive and epic, with soaring lead guitar on top of a simple rhythm. The vocals are sort of a chant at this point. It makes you feel like you're on a journey. Then the lead changes to a more complex riff, with harmony. The vocals at this point are growling.. perhaps bumps along the road. Then theres a guitar solo. Probably just wanted to solo over this riff (but you can make something up for that). The music then slows down a bit, then has the really fast rhythm, slows again, while an acoustic guitar enters. Then comes in a female operatic voice. Very epic at this point. behind the woman's voice, there is a scream from the male singing. Great dynamic there, as the brutality reigns over the peaceful lull of the woman. Then, acoustic break, no other instruments. True journey at this point.... Anyway, the song goes on.. But my point is, there are lots of different emotions transmitted through the song, in just a few short minutes, each beautiful in their own way. So it is not as if all these different styles of music are molded and aimed to meet one form of "beauty." They truly represent their own emotions and own beauty. This is mostly directed at the thread starter. Anywho, thats my opinion.