Argument over guitarists

As i said, it's my opinion. You can't compare guitarists objectively.

Metheny rules, too. :) Listen to "Icefire"

mot- said:
A few..

Metheny, Fripp, Segovia, Hendrix, Jansch, Satriani, Vaughan, Ribot, Legg, Hedges, Page, Andress, Lucia, Bream, Russell, Roche and so on.

I believe your criterias are quite unfullfillable by any guitraist i know, also by those I know from your list of good guitarists....

Check out "Anna Lee" from Falling Into Infinity by DT.

Also, JP guitar solo from the Live in Tokyo DVD during "To Live Forever" is fantastic.

Considering he is not a solo guitar artist, he wrote six great songs for G3 during the recording of one of their albums.

On the other hand...

Akerfeldt is simply one fo the best writers (lyrics and music) I have ever heard.

Bartman

I guess I should stop listening to Opeth for some Metheny right now. That Metheny is like CRACK I tell ya. CRACK! I can't get enough of that good old Metheny. LOLOL Mikael Akerfeldt probably plays to his full potential on Opeth albums, so he is basically teh sux0r at guitar. I mean, cmon. I don't care what the music sounds like, it DEFINATELY can't be good without beyond-perfect hardcore technical riffs and passages. Mikael should just stop what he's doing and learn some theory because the notes just don't fit in right with the songs. That asshole didn't take classical guitar, what a loser. He is not...alright, thats enough.

abcdefg said:
Check out Pat Metheny's Zero Tolerance for Silence.

The guy really shows his amazing talent on that album!

I've heard that it's like nothing else he has done before ? Tell me moore.

mot- said:
I've heard that it's like nothing else he has done before ? Tell me moore.
I was joking. It's absolutely horrible.

I think the AMG describes it perfectly:
Recorded in one day, Zero Tolerance for Silence can best be described as semi-organized noise.

this was the artist's last solo record due under his contract with Geffen Records, and this release was his way of saying "screw you" to the label

The cover and the title of the album are great, but the provocative music is not.

I love these kinda threads because they usually end up going nowhere at all. Petrucci is an emotional guitarist and that is shown in Falling Into Infinity and Change of Seasons. We all know what Mike can do, so there really is no way to compare em. IMO Danny Cavanagh and SW have loads more emotion in their solos. No wait fuck IMO! Those guys make me fuckin cry damn it!

I think Marty Friedman is one of the best guitarists out there. Some of his early megadeth work cant be touched by many people. I love satch, vai, gilbert and some of those guys, but they are older guys and just play rock type stuff, so thats why i like friedman so much. Back then he played flat out metal, but more melodically than anyone i have ever heard. Not to mention his technical skill is close to the classic shredders that i mentioned above.

i agree with dorian that you can really only compare their technical abilities, and Petrucci is obviously more technical than Mikael, but that doesnt have to be a bad thing. a petrucci solo in an opeth song would sound out of place, at least to me it would.

IMO petrucci's best work was with LTE, it was the most melodically interesting , and especially because i cant stand LaBrie.

On a side note: Petrucci, Portnoy, and Myung met at Berkeley and dropped out after only 1 year, so how much they learned in that one year, i have no idea, however Petrucci has been invited back to teach a few classes.

im a regular reader of the Petrucci and Portnoy forums and alot of the guys over there are obsessed with opeth, and are pretty open minded musically. There was recently a thread on Jp's forum drewling over Mikael's solo in A Fair Judgement. Petrucci has said in the past he's an opeth fan as well

Which is the better fruit, an apple or a banana. I mean the banana is more technical because you have to peel the skin off, but well, the apple has multiple colours and types that it must be better.

the_drip said:
The real question is...who is better technically?

Peter or Mikael? fuck John.

well John definatly feels the need to put a huge technical factor into his music and mikael does not so since you havent seen mike "shred it up" or something of the sorts then i guess no one can really comment can they? unless i stand corrected of course. :tickled:

Sympozium said:
Which is the better fruit, an apple or a banana. I mean the banana is more technical because you have to peel the skin off, but well, the apple has multiple colours and types that it must be better.

haha, you likened them to pieces of fruit? hmm, so john is a bananer after all.