Instrument used in Black Rose Immortal

<Does anyone know if the Van Halen song I mentiond (Cathedral) is the same thing, or is it a keyboard? Just interested.>

I believe I read somewhere (a long time ago...) Eddie uses an Echoplex analogue looping pedal for Cathedral...however, it can be played exactly as Mike describes, using volume knob, delay/swells, and of course sustain and distortion... Think hammer on's and lot's of tapping !

<Incidentally, I've been playing guitar for about 13 years and I never knew you could make it do that! Guess I have to play less Angus Young licks hehehe :grin>

Yeah you might want to branch out a bit if you've been playing that long and were'nt aware of volume swell's :)

Strain 121

Shiver692002 said:
<Does anyone know if the Van Halen song I mentiond (Cathedral) is the same thing, or is it a keyboard? Just interested.>

I believe I read somewhere (a long time ago...) Eddie uses an Echoplex analogue looping pedal for Cathedral...however, it can be played exactly as Mike describes, using volume knob, delay/swells, and of course sustain and distortion... Think hammer on's and lot's of tapping !

Strain 121

No keyboards; 'Cathedral' just a guitar with some distortion and some delay. You hammer eighth notes but the delay pedal is set at an eighth note and a half (three sixteenth notes or a dotted eighth note, if you read music). While you hammer each note, you turn up the knob in eighths...there's your volume swells, but they're fast. That's how you do 'Cathedral'.