intel i7 980x

Yeah man, haven't touched overclocking at all. Need to upgrade case/psu/fan this summer as it's louder than fuck, and will end up using the same case/psu/fan setup with my next build (i7 no doubt), but I need to pick your brain about this shit a bit! Get on MSN more often haha. I added you on my new account - JeffTD@gmail.

Fucking hell, this thread is making me feel seriously depressed about my Q6600 machine. Should've figured - built it back in Nov '08 and it wasn't 'cutting' edge back then, either!

+11111111111111111. Q6600 at my home studio, Dual core at home and at the studio i work on :Smug:

I found out with keyboards, you can have a 20ms with no problem and up to 50ms before it becomes a problem even when you are playing extremely fast, with gutiars a delay any higher than 10ms begins to become unacceptable at 20 I find myself playing sloppy and getting off time.

i was recording a bassist the other day who was playing rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally shitty, then he complained about the latency, which i had set to 6ms

i then set it to 3ms...dude's playing was still off, and he still complained

so then i monitored the bass directly thru my mixer rather than the DAW, and his playing instantly got 10x better. sucks he didn't the BR00TULZ tone while tracking, but whatever...moral of story - i used to think joey's bitching about small amounts of latency was a little much, but now i've experience the same myself

i was recording a bassist the other day who was playing rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally shitty, then he complained about the latency, which i had set to 6ms

so then i monitored the bass directly thru my mixer rather than the DAW, and his playing instantly got 10x better. sucks he didn't the BR00TULZ tone while tracking, but whatever...moral of story - i used to think joey's bitching about small amounts of latency was a little much, but now i've experience the same myself

might have been in his head to some degree. There is about a 10-15ms delay when you are standing 6ft away from your amp, Much less than typical latency. I said earlier that practicable difference happened at about 30 and it unplayable by 50 and keyboards can be setup to default at 20 (20ms is actually the amount of lag there is from when you strike a key until the hammer actually hits the string, so keyboardists/pianists are used to such a delay.

3 is way too tiny to notice or for the human brain to notice. 3ms is the time it takes a sine wave to travel a full 360 of a 300Hz wave, the human brain won't react much of one cycle of a 300Hz wave, that is literally three thousandths of a second, in the worse case situation the player may "feel" a chorus effect, but still that is almost impossible.

yeah

so many people fail to understand this

there is really a difference between 1ms and 4ms
it doesn't matter if you can hear it, you can feel it.

fortunately a lot of people learn to fit to a drummer, and consequently also learn to fit into a latency situation. for instance, groove slightly ahead of the beat in REAL WORLD but on computer, ends up being on time.

Not on topic, but anyone else notice after post #10, Joey started finally capitalizing his posts and using proper punctuation but then suddenly went back to the old style of Joey posting on page 2?:lol:
Joey, was someone else posting from your account?
:p

Fucking hell, this thread is making me feel seriously depressed about my Q6600 machine. Should've figured - built it back in Nov '08 and it wasn't 'cutting' edge back then, either!

Hell, I made my Q6600 in the beginning of '09 and its still running well for me! RAM is actually whats holding me back more so than processor speed... should have got Win7x64.

Joey, one thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that you can more easily get lower latencies with a PCI based sound card - have you considered swapping your FF800 for something like a Multiface?

i run at 48 samples and can run tons of vst amp sims with my i7 920. i have to bump it up once i get into using lots of vsts when mixing though

also, for anyone wondering, yes im selling all of my other rig (pt hd 3, mac pro dual 64 bit processors) and the 192 i/o with a/d upgrade along with digidesign input and output snakes and other bonus cables (the cables racked up around 500 extra dollars after i bought my pt system)

Please PM me price. (tried to pm you, but your inbox is full)

With that aside, hope you get your PC rocking soon! :kickass:

Joey, one thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that you can more easily get lower latencies with a PCI based sound card - have you considered swapping your FF800 for something like a Multiface?

Hmm is there benchmark data on this?

I wanna see pci comparisons

I'm also hoping not to lose my massive channel count (56 with ff800)

The PCI cards are more stable than the firewire alternative, but I dont know if you'll see a huge latency difference between RME products.

I'm sitting at 3.6ms roundtrip with the HDSP9652 (44.1khz, 64 samples) and according to sound on sound the FF should be about the same?

I think the PCI cards might strain a PC less to stay down at those sort of sample rates though.

I run a I7 920 oc'd to 4ghz. I can hit 4.2, but I sometimes lose stability. at 4ghz I run Cubase 5.1 (im VERY anxious to see how the new 5.5 cubase update will help my performance, they claim better multicore support)

6gz's of top quality ram.

depending on what plugins are running, I can run at 64 samples ~2-3ms latency using Centrance tester without any issues.

In fact, I can load up a TON of instances of SSL channel strip and my guitar sims and be laughing!

However, toss in a plugin that doesnt like low latency, and you will get pops and clicks.

When I do a check as to how much CPU is being utilised, it seems like even with a full load and a lot being done, my I7 is hardly breaking a sweat.

Joey, if I were you id overclock an I7, and down the road, you can simply do the upgrades on Mobo/CPU/Ram. I cant see the 6 core making an epic difference considering that even a decent workload in Cubase on an I7 barely makes it sweat!

It's too bad that the Ultra high end is so much more, and the price DOESNT reflect the speed increase!

Save your beans, I bet in a years time the 6 core will be half the price, and I cant see you fully using its potential.

However, your work needs are a lot different then mine as a hobbyist, but thats just my input

FYI, without a doubt in my experiences having owned both firewire and USB devices, PCI solutions are ALWAYS faster as there is that SLIGHT little bit of processing that goes into there chains. Not saying its better as PCI solutions can be prone to noise , but I would TOTALLY get the PCI RME solution as I have heard nothign but praise about it!

windows on my mac?

spare me the headache

plus i want the low latency performance peak you get with i7 (single processor) go check out the real world benchmark results. running a cubase project.

also, for anyone who wants to ask why i dont just use cubase on my mac. well in case you didn't know, core audio performance is actually much weaker at low latencies when compared to AISO

im going for a "DSP-like" system built on native.

I did it, and I can safely say it's not even stable for me so you will have a nightmare. Best sticking to a 'pure' PC