intel i7 980x

Hmm is there benchmark data on this?

I wanna see pci comparisons

I'm also hoping not to lose my massive channel count (56 with ff800)

My Multiface with the HDSPe card can go down to 32 samples (0.7ms). I think the total roundtrip is lower than 2 milliseconds.

If I could start again I'd get one of those 9652s. Only digital connectivity - free to use whatever combination of converters you want. Beautifully modular and fast.

Also, I used to have tons of issues with PC induced noise coming through my monitors, but after switching to HDSPe/Multiface it's basically noiseless.

I did it, and I can safely say it's not even stable for me so you will have a nightmare. Best sticking to a 'pure' PC

There are a lot of people who have done this quite efficiently...

You can't just put all the parts together and go

There's a lot of irq issues and other low level hardware issues you have to solve to make it work, not to mention having a flawless software configuration

That's why daw builders exist

My Multiface with the HDSPe card can go down to 32 samples (0.7ms). I think the total roundtrip is lower than 2 milliseconds.

If I could start again I'd get one of those 9652s. Only digital connectivity - free to use whatever combination of converters you want. Beautifully modular and fast.

Also, I used to have tons of issues with PC induced noise coming through my monitors, but after switching to HDSPe/Multiface it's basically noiseless.

Switching from what?

There are a lot of people who have done this quite efficiently...

You can't just put all the parts together and go

There's a lot of irq issues and other low level hardware issues you have to solve to make it work, not to mention having a flawless software configuration

That's why daw builders exist

Yeah I know, But I contacted Steinberg a lot and got replies once every month regarding minor details. Sometimes they just kept answering the same old questions because my queries got passed on to many different people. I'm not working to anywhere near the same extent that you are with your projects. Mine are all shitty home-based ones for personal use and what I'm highlighting is that I STRUGGLED with that configuration. I still am now.

The most reliable audio hardware/interface that i've had in this configuration has been my profire2626. I had to sell two more big name interfaces that wouldn't work. I'm hearin' ya on the low level and to be honest it's probably more firewire connectivity than anything, but after patching one driver in xp with one from vista, things have been okay. Except I get distortion/gargle randomly sometimes between 1-3 hours of unit use, which doesn't go away unless I reinstall the driver or reboot my pc. (Sometimes If I cba restarting then I will just reinstall). That and some random drop-outs of software in Cubase. Plug-ins hiding when they are clearly active etc. By all means man, if you think this method is saving you money by sticking to your mac go ahead. If I had the choice i'd go completely PC. Maybe Steinberg etc just don't care enough about the little people :rolleyes: Combined with the fact that they and m-audio state that they don't officially provide support within a boot camp based rig. I'm running XP, after wiping vista and re-configuring again. I'll wait a bit longer before I even consider win7.

I take it you're considering this option?

Built this last year and I still freakin love it.

Antec 761345-75080-6 80mm Case Fan
Item #: N82E16835209001
Standard Return Policy
$9.98
($4.99 ea)
Nexus PWM Series D12SL-12PWM 120mm Case Fan
Item #: N82E16835610003
Standard Return Policy
$25.98
($12.99 ea)
Open Box: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer "Ultimate Gamer" choose 3Way SLI + PhysX at Real X16 X58 CEB Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131390R
Open Box Refund Only Return Policy

For Asus Tech Support, Please Call 502-995-0883 or http://helpdesk.asus.com/
$307.99
SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
Item #: N82E16815124072
Standard Return Policy
$32.99
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model AT80601002727AA - OEM
Item #: N82E16819115216
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

Intel (800)-628-8686 Please Verify Processor matches order Prior to installation. IMPORTANT: Always pack you CPU well for return. We will refuse your RMA if we received it as DAMAGED!
$589.99
Click here to obtain a detailed listing of your packages and their contents.
Shipped from NJ, USA -
Nexus FLC-3000 92mm CPU Cooler with Smooth Airflow
Item #: N82E16835610009
Standard Return Policy
$54.99
Shipped from TN, USA -
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9
Item #: N82E16820145222
Memory Standard Return Policy
$164.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139005
Standard Return Policy
$99.99
Subtotal $1,286.90
Tax $0.00
UPS 3 DAYS $13.50
Rush Processing $2.99
Order Total $1,303.39

I can get most of the way through tracking a big project before going up to 96 or 128. Thats with compression and EQ on all the drum groups, maybe 6 podfarms, eq on guitars, reverbs and delays on vocals, comp and eq on bass, plus a few UAD inserts. I've never been able to make it skip during a mix.

The other sweet thing is that 6 months later my processor is only selling for $2 less. That makes me happy :headbang:

Welcome back to the dark side Joey :kickass:

Yeah I know, But I contacted Steinberg a lot and got replies once every month regarding minor details. Sometimes they just kept answering the same old questions because my queries got passed on to many different people. I'm not working to anywhere near the same extent that you are with your projects. Mine are all shitty home-based ones for personal use and what I'm highlighting is that I STRUGGLED with that configuration. I still am now.

The most reliable audio hardware/interface that i've had in this configuration has been my profire2626. I had to sell two more big name interfaces that wouldn't work. I'm hearin' ya on the low level and to be honest it's probably more firewire connectivity than anything, but after patching one driver in xp with one from vista, things have been okay. Except I get distortion/gargle randomly sometimes between 1-3 hours of unit use, which doesn't go away unless I reinstall the driver or reboot my pc. (Sometimes If I cba restarting then I will just reinstall). That and some random drop-outs of software in Cubase. Plug-ins hiding when they are clearly active etc. By all means man, if you think this method is saving you money by sticking to your mac go ahead. If I had the choice i'd go completely PC. Maybe Steinberg etc just don't care enough about the little people :rolleyes: Combined with the fact that they and m-audio state that they don't officially provide support within a boot camp based rig. I'm running XP, after wiping vista and re-configuring again. I'll wait a bit longer before I even consider win7.

Yeah I think you are missing the point. You just said in your own words that part of your setup is unsupported. Unsupported means won't work... Why are still trying?

The main point of this thread is for people who have working configurations using the i7 technology, and how compatibilities fair in the realm of that hardware paired up with native daws like cubase 5. Not a thread for USB interface configurations on unsupported multi boot system on vista (which is commonly nominated as the worst operating system for recording)

P.s. you should def try windows 7 over any other os.

might have been in his head to some degree. There is about a 10-15ms delay when you are standing 6ft away from your amp, Much less than typical latency. I said earlier that practicable difference happened at about 30 and it unplayable by 50 and keyboards can be setup to default at 20 (20ms is actually the amount of lag there is from when you strike a key until the hammer actually hits the string, so keyboardists/pianists are used to such a delay.

3 is way too tiny to notice or for the human brain to notice. 3ms is the time it takes a sine wave to travel a full 360 of a 300Hz wave, the human brain won't react much of one cycle of a 300Hz wave, that is literally three thousandths of a second, in the worse case situation the player may "feel" a chorus effect, but still that is almost impossible.

i understand that, theoretically, 3-6ms of latency should be pretty much undetectable...which is why i really thought joey was being way too anal about it

but when this guy 1st started playing, i was listening along and just wanted to :puke: all over. i walked out of the room for 10-15 mins. to let him warm up or whatever, and when i came back he said that there was a delay between the drums and bass that was really bothering him. mind you, this is a 16 year old kid who knows jackshit about recording, latency, or really anything other than kicking out riffs and chasing tail. then i kicked the latency to 3ms, and he said it was better, but still bothering him. then i went with the latency-free monitoring, and BOOM - damn near flawless takes, with 2 songs done in less than an hour.

the math might say one thing, but now i have experience that says otherwise.

and this thread also reminds me bad i need a new PC...this single core 3ghz dell just isn't cutting it. AT ALL. :zombie:

Hmm is there benchmark data on this?

I wanna see pci comparisons

I'm also hoping not to lose my massive channel count (56 with ff800)

somewhat related

0083_busspeed_diagram.gif

http://www.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_105_3.html

so after many hours of research i've come up with the following for my new system thus far:

1. intel i7 980x cpu
2. ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D
4. Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

still need to decide on case, sample drives / record drives
cd drive, cooling options (ultra quiet), video card (fanless), power supply

im also open to motherboard suggestions. dave went with the "super computer" but i feel that having usb 3 will be really important in a system that is supposed to last at least 2 - 3 years or longer. his motherboard didnt support that. im also unsure about the onboard firewire situation of today. i know a few years ago it was better to have a pci-e card firewire... and im not sure if the chip on this MB is TI but i believe it is (asus seems to be the high end option for MB now-a-days)

the last time i built a system was when quad-core was brand new technology.

on the audio side of things, i plan to add a UAD-2 QUAD, and hopefully install my older UAD-1 card in as well. so the MB will need at least one pci slot for the UAD-1 card. I'm also doing research on PCIe RME options. still not sure which direction to go. I could piece the whole thing out into seperate processing (a card for A/D, a card for D/A, external units for piping analog pre's to channels, already have a BIGBEN for word clocking). but i'm not sure yet.

at any rate, the whole goal here is to build the best native system I can buy without going TOO overboard. for instance, i dont need a 4 thousand dollar SSD drive.

very awesome to see on a graph

the highest amount of raw track data i've ever recorded simultaneously is 16

im sure this will go up as i am spot micing cymbals more often these days.

after drums are done, i hardly ever need more than 1 or 2 channels at once.

but it would be nice to be able to roll the rig somewhere and record a live deal if i had to...

I had a Click and Pop problem with my onboard FW, though TI.
My mate runs the onboard TI with no probs. I think the safer way is def. a PCI-e Card.

Sidenote:
The latency was higher with the onboard FW. Kinda strange, cause my FW-Pci-Card is no Name and not even PCI-E.

I had a Click and Pop problem with my onboard FW, though TI.
My mate runs the onboard TI with no probs. I think the safer way is def. a PCI-e Card.

Sidenote:
The latency was higher with the onboard FW. Kinda strange, cause my FW-Pci-Card is no Name and not even PCI-E.

yeah

apparently its a bigger "highway" for the FIREWIRE to go through PCI-E which is something the motherboard can't do without sacrificing a PCI-E slot (and MB manufacturers avoid doing this i guess?)

your clicks and pops were from your "DPC latency" problems (ACPI & low level energy board features make checks to other hardware in the system causing "highway" robbery)
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

when i say "highway" im talking about the "hardware bus". im no expert in this so some of my terminology could be wrong here, but basically the point is, you've gotta turn off a lot of "common people" features that interrupt your audio hardware requests.

Hey, cool, I will def check that link, when I'm @ the studio.
I know that theres a way to increase the throughput in the bios, but I'm no PC pro and my PCI slot was free.

But the setup FF + PCI-Card is rock solid.
I have zero problems and thats why I love RME(and their support is ace)

THX for the link