intel i7 980x

dawbenchdsp-xp-v-osx.jpg

The reason why the Mac os can't scale well at low latency is because the machine changes the CPU often to adjust to workload, rather being constantly stable which is what a daw needs.

That is what I've just got in! Along with 48GB of RAM, I'll post some benchmarks using DAW benchmark when I get a chance (probably next week) PM me if I forget. Going to me used for the VSL samples and it's MIR mixing/reverb thing.

As you showed the Mac PRO problems are mostly due to CPU powersave features that can't be turned off on the MAC, there are also a few issues with OSX scaling across threads which it seems it can't do as well as Windows.

Hey Joey this might be a little of topic, but I tracked 18 tracks of drums on sunday with a buffer of 32!!!
With my digi 003 hooked up with an Apogee AD (digi was clocked through lightpipe) and a macbook pro running logic 9!!!
No dropouts, no sync problems just perfectly fine, and the drummer didnt hear any latency (and I was running an api software eq on his kick)

Before you ditch your mac, give logic a try. Use your fireface 800 and hook up you preamps.
If I remembe correctly you bought your parents a macbook and logic. Just install logic on your Mac and go.

On the other hand, I got a cubase workshop at collage and the dude was running a macbook pro with cubase 5 without any problems.
I asked him about the cubase / mac problems and he told me that they are all solved...

Sell the HD rig and go for apogee or lynx aurora....

Hence why I use a hackintosh. :lol:

Joey... as I understand it, the chip with the best price to speed ratio is the i7 920. I'm not sure the 980 is going to give you that much of an improvement over a 920 oc'd to 4.0ghz (which with the right cooler can be safely done)...

This is the list I'm going to be building at some point this year:

http://astore.amazon.com/sojug-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=6

i most definitely don't intend to overclock

i feel that using overclocking as a money saving technique is mute because your processor goes dead twice as fast.

buying a higher end cpu that is advertised to run at a certain speed is a guarantee warranted thing. i don't want to water cool, i dont want to hear a loud ass fan, and i dont want a meltdown in the middle of an album.

It's a gamble, one that someone in Joey's position is right to avoid. Running these chips beyond specs that they are warranted and tested for is going to diminish their life. Whether that means 10 days, 10 months or 10 years is up to the chip. Having a CPU fry mid-way through a session with an impending deadline simply because you wanted to get a few extra clocks out of it to enhance the ol e-peen is nothing short of disaster.

Hey Joey this might be a little of topic, but I tracked 18 tracks of drums on sunday with a buffer of 32!!!
With my digi 003 hooked up with an Apogee AD (digi was clocked through lightpipe) and a macbook pro running logic 9!!!
No dropouts, no sync problems just perfectly fine, and the drummer didnt hear any latency (and I was running an api software eq on his kick)

Before you ditch your mac, give logic a try. Use your fireface 800 and hook up you preamps.
If I remembe correctly you bought your parents a macbook and logic. Just install logic on your Mac and go.

On the other hand, I got a cubase workshop at collage and the dude was running a macbook pro with cubase 5 without any problems.
I asked him about the cubase / mac problems and he told me that they are all solved...

Sell the HD rig and go for apogee or lynx aurora....
even if i gave logic a go, i dont think i'd wanna stay there

i really like cubase. even if it crashes i know how to fix it or work around it. in other software im usually lost most of the day.

It's a gamble, one that someone in Joey's position is right to avoid. Running these chips beyond specs that they are warranted and tested for is going to diminish their life. Whether that means 10 days, 10 months or 10 years is up to the chip. Having a CPU fry mid-way through a session with an impending deadline simply because you wanted to get a few extra clocks out of it to enhance the ol e-peen is nothing short of disaster.

This

Overclocking is about as much of a gamble as crossing the road when the lights are red, and both lanes of traffic are not moving. Sure... it's possible that one of them will just run you down.... but it hardly ever happens. Unless you slept with their daughter.

But hey; do what you like. Not my money you're spending!

What sort of rig are you going to go back to out of curiosity, Joey?

I've been eyeing off both the RME HDSP9652 and Digiface. Their drivers are rock solid and these interfaces seem to accommodate for the most modularity. 3 x ADAT I/O and add conversion to taste. I've developed quite a liking for my ADI-8 AE, and can't wait to snap up a few more as they hit ebay.

Any proof that a CPU goes dead twice as fast when OC'ing? That has not been my experience in 10 years of computing.

+1. I'd definitely back Drew up with this, mainly thanks to the Intel MF'ing process I raised earlier. If the cash is there though, and your risk profile doesnt like the idea of overclocking then go for it I guess. I just never like seeing people take the plunge on gear that isnt "bang for buck", if you like.