intel i7 980x

funny you should mention this....
i was using a G5dual 1.8 yesterday (WOOOO) which actually had this option in the energy saver tab of system preferences!
you could chose between low/auto/full performance.
never seen it before!

yeah they removed it on snow leopard

but even with those settings, you can't get to the main one you need to change

its in firmware somewhere and changing it is dangerous / not possible

I've just benchmarked a 980X using that same DAWbench and get 192 instances at 32 samples and around 220 at 64 samples, I got bored after that so didn't do the other buffer settings. On the SOS the latest graph shows an 2.26 E5520 getting around 245 at 64 samples but this is slightly more then I found so the better performance there might be down to the interface.

I should have the dual 6 core machine setup tomorrow so will post the results for that too. The benchmark song is going to drive me mad though!
by the way what interface were you testing with?

if it was firewire, then i can't even imagine the amount of performance a pci-e device could give.

I've had a fireface on the 980X although I've got a RME Raydat that I'll probably be putting in there, in my experience you won't find that much of a difference between them, the PCIe will give slightly better plugin load at the lower latency but both are good.

Might be able to test the X5680 tomorrow will post results if I get a chance.

Not meaning to hi-jack, but I'm going to be building something similar to this:

Componentslist1.jpg

And making an i7 hackintosh that wont suffer from all that speedstepping bullshit that the Mac Pro's do!!

You guys must be kidding, you cant switch that stuff on Macs? LOL christ. Speed step and power saving is a huge enemy of audio.

Drew- I might make a couple of revisions to that dude. I think the venemous x is a better plan for CPU cooling by a touch, and maybe go for the GA-EX58A-UD5? It was the same price when I got my a couple of months back, and you get the glory of a few more bits and bobs like usb 3.0 which could turn out to be handy. I have the Fractal Design in Silver finish btw, fucking fab case :D Enjoy hitting 4.3ghz on air with it ;)

You guys must be kidding, you cant switch that stuff on Macs? LOL christ. Speed step and power saving is a huge enemy of audio.

Drew- I might make a couple of revisions to that dude. I think the venemous x is a better plan for CPU cooling by a touch, and maybe go for the GA-EX58A-UD5? It was the same price when I got my a couple of months back, and you get the glory of a few more bits and bobs like usb 3.0 which could turn out to be handy. I have the Fractal Design in Silver finish btw, fucking fab case :D Enjoy hitting 4.3ghz on air with it ;)

Cool man, I'll check out that cooler. But erm... my graphic/list shows the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 already. Unless you meant a different model and just got confuzzled? Oh right, sorry... didn't spot the A!

Hmmm.... some user-reviews indicate that the Noctua is the best air cooler around right now. I'm also put off by the Venomous not having any fans. How will heat be extracted from the case? The case fans?

Drew- looks like they are pretty much bang on dude from what i can find now. IIRC the noctua is rather large though in comparison.

Ermz- I think the U12P-SE2 is a bit older now- it is increasingly difficult to find good benchmarks for them along with all the other coolers these days though without a thorough google as there are tonnes around.

3324d1265548311-thermalright-venomous-x-vs-noctua-nh-d14-cpu-coolers-clipboard01.png

a 4u rack will not be able to take the larger CPU coolers around on the noctua range you are looking at the NH-U9B as being the tallest one you can use, that will easily cool a 980X nice enough though.

I've got the dual X5680 at home with me this weekend and will be benchmarking it, should be interesting results!

a 4u rack will not be able to take the larger CPU coolers around on the noctua range you are looking at the NH-U9B as being the tallest one you can use, that will easily cool a 980X nice enough though.

I've got the dual X5680 at home with me this weekend and will be benchmarking it, should be interesting results!

Foiled, I assume you work in the computer industry to be able to try out these processors so easily?