intel i7 980x

Yeah I have a nuendo pc and a Mac

And as far as I know, I intend to sell both of them

Just gotta figure out the hdd situation on the nuendo pc and get some projects off my Mac

I'll post more details when I am ready to sell.

+1. I'd definitely back Drew up with this, mainly thanks to the Intel MF'ing process I raised earlier. If the cash is there though, and your risk profile doesnt like the idea of overclocking then go for it I guess. I just never like seeing people take the plunge on gear that isnt "bang for buck", if you like.

Yeah

I'm the kinda guy that buys everything in new condition. Never like used gear or buying open box or refurbished stuff.

If I did over clock, it wouldn't be by much. But I just don't see my self doing it. I'll go for the warranted speed.

What sort of rig are you going to go back to out of curiosity, Joey?

I've been eyeing off both the RME HDSP9652 and Digiface. Their drivers are rock solid and these interfaces seem to accommodate for the most modularity. 3 x ADAT I/O and add conversion to taste. I've developed quite a liking for my ADI-8 AE, and can't wait to snap up a few more as they hit ebay.

Probably the rme ad
So far I only have 5 analog pre
The rest is digital adat (16 channels worth)

Still haven't decided pci or pcie or FireWire

I will most likely go pcie but I have to make sure I won't run into bandwidth issues

I have never had problems with FireWire like most people do

Probably the rme ad

I will most likely go pcie but I have to make sure I won't run into bandwidth issues

Why do you think you'll run into bandwidth issues with PCIe?

I have a client right now that's having hella problems with his Fireface. It almost seems like luck of the draw with Firewire and USB. Solid as a rock on some systems but absolutely bug-ridden on others. PCI-e took the guess work out of it for me and the Multiface has been running rock solid ever since I got it (was second hand too. Already around 7 years old when I got it).

actually those power saving features can be turned off on OSX...just need to disable some kexts files.

I have a client right now that's having hella problems with his Fireface.

1. Cease use of this word instantly!!!!

2. I'd be an example of rocksolid FF use on laptop + PC... need to starting using it via FW800 on my PC though. :lol:

actually those power saving features can be turned off on OSX...just need to disable some kexts files.

Do tell! Is this risky??

Hi, I'm not sure they can fully. I think to fully disable the C1E halt state and EIST setting this must be done in the EFI which can't be modified or you need an application like coolbook but that doesn't work on the new MAC PROs, would love to know if you have any proof different (I'm being honest, I know things can be read the wrong way on forums!)

Am i wrong in thinking that the EFI is just shoved in a partition at the beginning of the disk? Even if OSX won't see it I'm sure Linux (with necessary extra gubbinz :)) will

Hi, I'm not sure they can fully. I think to fully disable the C1E halt state and EIST setting this must be done in the EFI which can't be modified or you need an application like coolbook but that doesn't work on the new MAC PROs, would love to know if you have any proof different (I'm being honest, I know things can be read the wrong way on forums!)

AFAIK, this is exactly correct Mr Foiled.

Well, I am sure you can AT LEAST remove applecpuintelpowermanagement.kext or whatever it is called and it cuts SOME of the power management features (like that crap that came with Asus motherboards a while ago that cooled down the CPU, but slowed it down also)....it is just not meant to do the trick fully.

Probably the rme ad

Which RME, analog pres and digital adat are you going to use? Just interested because I'm setting up my rig right now and need some input.

Which RME, analog pres and digital adat are you going to use? Just interested because I'm setting up my rig right now and need some input.

Same. I'll probs get a 003 on top just to get access to pt for tracking/editing/opening other peoples sessions to consolidate and export to cubase/reaper

I don't know for sure but
I'm pretty sure it has to do with stable clock speeds

And energy saving features on macosx (dumbed down settings prevent users from changing how this works)

funny you should mention this....
i was using a G5dual 1.8 yesterday (WOOOO) which actually had this option in the energy saver tab of system preferences!
you could chose between low/auto/full performance.
never seen it before!

IntaAudioi5ProMusicPC_03.jpg

I've just benchmarked a 980X using that same DAWbench and get 192 instances at 32 samples and around 220 at 64 samples, I got bored after that so didn't do the other buffer settings. On the SOS the latest graph shows an 2.26 E5520 getting around 245 at 64 samples but this is slightly more then I found so the better performance there might be down to the interface.

I should have the dual 6 core machine setup tomorrow so will post the results for that too. The benchmark song is going to drive me mad though!

I've just benchmarked a 980X using that same DAWbench and get 192 instances at 32 samples and around 220 at 64 samples, I got bored after that so didn't do the other buffer settings. On the SOS the latest graph shows an 2.26 E5520 getting around 245 at 64 samples but this is slightly more then I found so the better performance there might be down to the interface.

I should have the dual 6 core machine setup tomorrow so will post the results for that too. The benchmark song is going to drive me mad though!

holy crap

it really is off the charts haha

can't want to buy this computer. i hope i sell enough drum samples to fund the whole thing haha!