iPhone 5

the iphone 5 didn't make me shit my pants or anything - it's a great upgrade for anyone still using 3, even 4, but as an iphone 4 user i'm not convinced i will switch to the version five. might consider switching to 4s as the prices go down though; they're adding a lot of the neat-o stuff to it along with the iOS 6 update later.

i think the new Lumia was more interesting in most ways, with the great camera and bells and whistles like the wireless charging. still going to stick with Apple myself, but here's hoping that Nokia will be around to push the competition in a few years.

+1 to the lumia, i really consider buying this. but i'm a win phone user already. and i'm very satisfied. fuck all those apps and stuff, i need a mobile to be cheap, realiable and fast. and that's what my mobile is. and the lumia actually brings something really useful to the table like the wireless charging.

i'm not a mobile geek or anything.. and that's maybe why i'm not impressed at all by the new iphone. in the end i'm still doing my calls, writing my mails, sending my messages and browsing from time to time... if it's on a 200€ mobile or on a 700€ mobile like the iphone 5, doesnt really matter as long as it works smoothly - which both do, so i better save those 500€.

i am an apple user accross the board but mobile wise i've had a berry for years. i decided because the company sucks so much (blackberry), i'm finally gonna get the iphone. can't wait. i own basically every other apple product ever made so why not this?

the proverbial last piece of cheese between the pizza pie and my slice is the blackberry keyboard which is the best thing ever. i really hope i can get used to the non-keyboard.

ps - even though i've been a berry user i still feel the iphone is the best of any of these devices. why? because it's made by apple.

I'm still a (shock horror) blackberry 9900 user. Partially due to the fact work pay my bill, but damn i'd feel like my hands were cut off without a good keypad.

Wait... Blackberries have a good keypad?? I hate those things, plus I hate the fact that a huge keypad takes away nearly 50% of potential screen space on a phone. And, anyone complaining about tactile interfaces, need to get over it cause it won't be long till almost everything will be like that.

I can see why some people would want to join the Apple iPhone 5 discussion with their Android/Windows Phone preferences (hey, some people like kinky stuff like eating poop or stuffing cranberries up their rectums, it's cool!), but for fuck's sakes, keep BlacBerries out of this. I have an iPhone, a Sony Ericsson (Android) and a BlackBerry, and holy shit what an awkward and outdated piece of crap the BB is :lol:

i brought up the blackberry not to say its better or even close.

but the keyboard on the blackberry is the best thing ever. no matter how much i can get used to the iphone or any "virtual" keyboard, the blackberry keyboard remains to be one of the best innovations of this era. if you do not go through a lot of emails it's not as important. but when the main usage of your phone it typing, blackberry has been, and despite the worst os and everything else being the worst, it's still the king of keyboards. i can type almost as fast on a berry as i can on a full sized computer keyboard.

too bad the company is run by clueless people.

i brought up the blackberry not to say its better or even close.

but the keyboard on the blackberry is the best thing ever. no matter how much i can get used to the iphone or any "virtual" keyboard, the blackberry keyboard remains to be one of the best innovations of this era. if you do not go through a lot of emails it's not as important. but when the main usage of your phone it typing, blackberry has been, and despite the worst os and everything else being the worst, it's still the king of keyboards. i can type almost as fast on a berry as i can on a full sized computer keyboard.

too bad the company is run by clueless people.

I actually use the BB almost exclusively for company e-mail (often dozens a day back and forth).

Well I "need" my phone to fit in my uniform shirt pocket because otherwise one day I will forget it in the plane, at night in the dark and I will kill myself (happened to a few colleagues !) !

To me it's too large if you need a second hand to manipulate it. That's my own limit, I wanna be able to do everything while driving (I know it's bad) or with one hand in my cockpit.

If you are considering the iPhone 5 then you have no argument. It is marginally smaller than the 1X/S3. I can't think of a pocket my iPhone 4 could fit in that my 1X cannot. The biggest difference is the height of the phone, not the width. I have average sized hands and have no problems using my 1X one-handed. Especially with typing, on Android the ability to use swipe keyboards is fantastic for that purpose. In fact, I am typing (with swipe) all of this right now on my 1X with just my thumb!

About the apps on android, in fact they sort of don't give a shit at all, simply because the market is smaller on the android market from a business perspective. Also they face many more incompatibilities and unknowns regarding os versions, screen resolution etc. If you add the fact less people pay for apps on the android market, it makes it less appealing than the AppStore market where people are okay to pay a few bucks, from a developer point of view. And they know they "all" use the latest iOs version, and an iphone. That's a secondary effect of its hype and uniformity, it's easier for developer to analyze and predict consumers. I would develop for iOS over android anytime, if I were one. I think it's getting better though, as Samsung are being sold more and more, making it more logical for a game developer for example to port it to android right away if they except some sells.

Fragmentation is the biggest hurdle for any developer to get into the Android development game. Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon, as much as Google has said it wants to crack down on it, so far it hasn't done jack shit to do so. The issue lies with the phone manufacturers though, not with Google. If Google were to say to manufacturers they can no longer put their own custom versions of Android on the phones they make in order to subdue the fragmentation problem, the manufacturers would probably just stop using Android. But it is because of each manufacturer using their own shit that causes the fragmentation, delays on devices getting updated to the latest OS, etc. The only way, besides rooting and all that nonsense that like 95% of Android users don't do, the consumer gets around this is to get the newest flagship phone from whatever their preferred manufacturer is in order to get the latest Android OS. Which is total bullshit, but that's how it is.

Half of this thread equates to:

"Hey, let's complain about something we don't have to buy, that isn't being forced on us, that is, in all sense of the word, a technological wonder, and we didn't pay to design."

Yup. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I like the 3 iPhones I've had. I enjoy the platform, and will stick with it. But I'm comforted in knowing that if the platform changes to something I don't like, I'll have options.

my iphone 4 is being slow so i'll probably get this.

it's really nothing new though. i love how every time a new one comes out they're like 'biggest thing to happen to iphone since the iphone'. EVERY time

Half of this thread equates to:

"Hey, let's complain about something we don't have to buy, that isn't being forced on us, that is, in all sense of the word, a technological wonder, and we didn't pay to design."

Yup. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I like the 3 iPhones I've had. I enjoy the platform, and will stick with it. But I'm comforted in knowing that if the platform changes to something I don't like, I'll have options.

and your statement equates to "hey, there's a thread asking about the fireball. i hate that thing, so i better stay out"

and your statement equates to "hey, there's a thread asking about the fireball. i hate that thing, so i better stay out"

Totally different circumstance and situation. If it was a post about the new Fireball 2 that was being released soon and everyone came in talking a ton of shit about how much better their AxeFX was, your comparison might work.

Here's a good comparison:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57510802-233/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-lumia-920-by-the-numbers/

The quote that I find funny is the reason I like Android.

"We still love the GS3, but the rich, highly customizable Android 4.0 interface is too much for some users, and many of Samsung's innovations, especially in content-sharing, are more complicated to use and not very universal.

Summery: So the phone is too smart for most people?! Get the Iphone, there's none of that complicated stuff.

I've heard the most ridicules arguments from Iphone people like "I don't want all the customization" "Why would anybody need 4g on a phone?"(but then when 4g finally comes out years later they are all happy) "That screen is too big! who needs a screen that big on a phone" (then all happy because iphone5 is getting a bigger screen)

I love my Galaxy S3, I have NFC tags all over the place, my wife and I are are constantly using the S beam, streaming videos straight from my phone to hers and to our tv... I know, I know Iphone people, why would you want to do all that stuff with your phone?

And what's with the ugly square app icon desktop?

I wanna be able to do everything while driving (I know it's bad) or with one hand in my cockpit.

Texting and flying?!?!! 0.o HAHA!!

I get annoyed at the iPhone because I can't really text as good one handed, nor can I text while laying in bed unless I turn it sideways, otherwise, it wants to flop towards me and screws up my typing!!

I went from paying $30 a month with my old phone on a shared plan to $100.58 a month with my iPhone. I should probably downgrade my Data plan as I barely touch 500MB, let along 3GB.

No, using the pro apps during the 25mn turnaround I have during two flights to close the calculations of my previous flight and open those of the new one (yes 25mn includes unloading passengers, loading new ones, getting fuel, preparing the cockpit, getting clearances, doing the briefing, etc etc, it's just crazy). I have a pretty swiss-clock precision workflow and my phone is part of it :D

Here's a good comparison:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57510802-233/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-lumia-920-by-the-numbers/

The quote that I find funny is the reason I like Android.

"We still love the GS3, but the rich, highly customizable Android 4.0 interface is too much for some users, and many of Samsung's innovations, especially in content-sharing, are more complicated to use and not very universal.

Summary: So the phone is too smart for most people?! Get the Iphone, there's none of that complicated stuff.

+1 hahaha, the iPhone is and will always be baby's first smartphone in my eyes, and also +1 to Mike/006 on the size, for many (though not I, I have pretty big hands) it just takes a bit of getting used to but the increase in screen size is totally worth it, and I regularly use it entirely with my right hand with no trouble (and as for typing, that's where Google's awesome speech-recognition software comes in)

Also, for the record, my GSIII has been 100% stable and fluid in its operation, so literally 0 glitches or bugs to speak of (and my GSII that I had for 8 months before it was the same)

And for a final edit, before the aforementioned GSII I had an iPhone 4 for a year and a half, and I just got bored with it and felt I'd reached its limits (and I hated that dinky screen), so because very little has changed since then, I remain disinterested

Here's my biggest question to the SIIIdouchesquad:

Why in the FUCK would I switch to the SIII when my iTunes, Mail, Reminders, Notes, iMessage, and iCal information wouldn't sync natively?

You guys put too much stock in derailing other phones; pretty typical PC-fanboy mentality, IMO. People are going to use other stuff because they like it. It doesn't mean that they're dumber or less capable or somehow inferior to your precious Winblows/Android machines. I've never seen an iPhone user go into a thread about an Android or Windows phone and talk shit like you do; your response is going to be "that's because they have no ground to stand on trololol!" Unfortunately it's actually because they're not smug cunts who need to validate their underdog purchase by deriding the choices of others.