Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
15995.jpg

Metal GOD'S Iron Maiden have returned with their 14th studio album following the release of 2003's Dance of Death. With each new release, Maiden keep on progressing, and in some ways at times, this album reminds me of their classic Seventh Son. The entire band are in top forum, crafting epic masterpieces. I've heard some say the songs get tedious, but IMO, they get more intesting with the time changes, ect... Certin songs stand out, like the first 2 tracks, "Different World" and "These Colours Don't Run". The chorus' will get stuck in your head right away. Great melodies. Bruse Dickenson rules, and he's still one of the best vocalists out there. Age can't slow these guys down. Maiden will always be Maiden. Defenitly one of the best releases this year.

10/10

^^
How constructive. Are all your posts like that?

I think this album has some very nice tracks on it. Yes, some are very tedious and no way need to be 9 minutes long. The band did perfectly fine without writing such drawn out songs in the past. Yes, they have long songs but these ones seem unnecassarly long.

But like you said, the first couple tracks are very good and definitely make the album worth it.

I can't for the life of me understand all the fuss about the new Maiden album, it is in my opinion, the worst of the 3 re-union albums...and save for a few tracks I can't really say much constructive about it at all. Suffice to say that when I heard the band were to play the whole thing on tour I sold my tickets on eBay for a healthy profit!

RESULT

Good album, best since (if not better than) FOTD. But hardly 10/10. There are maybe 10 or so metal albums that warrant that high of a rating and this is FAR from it. 7.5 or 8 at most.

I give it 7.5/10.

I can definitely see a bit of Prog Metal in this album. All the songs are of good quality and you definitely can't say that any particular song is really crappy. That itself is half the battle won, when it comes to making a successful album.

Now comes the good part. I am talking about the presence of extraordinary, stunning tracks, atleast 1 or 2 of them, that make the album truly a masterpiece. Their last album, Dance of Death, had just that: Paschendale and the Title Track. Now that was a 10/10 album.

In this album, the two outstanding tracks are 'The Legacy' and 'The Longest Day'. Although they are both excellent, I wouldn't say they are as extraordinary as Paschedale. But that's OK, I like this album.

Now comes the good part. I am talking about the presence of extraordinary, stunning tracks, atleast 1 or 2 of them, that make the album truly a masterpiece. Their last album, Dance of Death, had just that: Paschendale and the Title Track. Now that was a 10/10 album.

A 10/10 should be all stunning tracks, and the album as a whole should be a masterpiece. DoD is good, but giving it 10/10 is absurd - it assumes that nothing better is possible, which is a very dim view of metal you're taking indeed.

I am not saying DoD is one of the BEST metal albums ever. But it is 10/10 in the sense that its the best that you can ever expect from Maiden.

There are very few albums that could ever rate a 10/10 in the context of the whole genre ( Nightwish's 'Century Child' and Blind Guardian's 'Imaginations from the Other Side' are strong contenders for that honor). But as far as Maiden are concerned, DoD is a 10/10 effort.