Is Evergrey a Christian band?

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
I got the Inner Circle yesterday. The lyrics, song titles, and monologues give off a Christian vibe. But when I saw them live, they were selling an Evergrey shirt that said, 'I am my own god,' which would kind of negate that idea. Can someone please clarify this for me?

They just speak of religious themes. Most of the songs on the new cd have to do with the corruption of religion/The church. Such as the priests who molest the children that trust them to be men of God. Hence the cover having a small hand reach out for a bigger hand. This is also clear in much of their lyrics.

From the monologues, I couldn't tell if they were trying to support Christianity or mock it. I actually haven't even listened to the whole thing yet but from what I did I got the whole Christian thing from it. Thanks.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Hence the cover having a small hand reach out for a bigger hand.
michael-jackson-monkey.jpg

Scythes of Vengeance said:
I got the Inner Circle yesterday. The lyrics, song titles, and monologues give off a Christian vibe. But when I saw them live, they were selling an Evergrey shirt that said, 'I am my own god,' which would kind of negate that idea. Can someone please clarify this for me?
:lol: No they aren't a christian band... *catches breath* One could say that Tom puts down a lot of time/thought on lyrics. I would say they are more like a Swedish band! ;)

I don't know about the others, but Tom has said in the past that he is not religious, and he's gone out of his way in *every* interview I've seen about Inner Circle to say that it's not meant to target Christianity or Islam or any particular religion, but rather the fanatics who use faith (theirs or that of others) as a springboard for abuse.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
They just speak of religious themes. Most of the songs on the new cd have to do with the corruption of religion/The church. Such as the priests who molest the children that trust them to be men of God. Hence the cover having a small hand reach out for a bigger hand. This is also clear in much of their lyrics.

ive always thought of the cover to be a symbol of a weak helpless person reaching out to something more powerful such as the cult.

I seriously hate when people ask "is X a christian band". What is that going to change if they aren't or are? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! a band is judged on it's music and lyrical themes not on a STUPID label (religion catagorisation) ...come on.

grandbazaar said:
I seriously hate when people ask "is X a christian band". What is that going to change if they aren't or are? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! a band is judged on it's music and lyrical themes not on a STUPID label (religion catagorisation) ...come on.
Yeah, that was pretty much my first thought when I read the thread title. I mean, does it really matter?