Is Mike a Detroit Red Wings Fan?

OMG, if the Red Wings were Opeth fans that would be krazy! Being from Michigan, I'm a huuuuuge Opeth fan. The Red Wings are kind of cool too. I'm more of a Nascar dude myself. Hopefully Opeth will be in Detroit for the Stanely Cup!

I think the Detroit Red Wings are fans of Opeth, or at least the arena staff. I was blown away when I thought I heard the Arena DJ play Deliverance when I was in the mens room today during the second period at the Joe Louis Arena with the Wings winning 3-2. I am pretty sure I was not wearing head phones. I think the boys in the band are fans of the greatest sport in the world.

GO WINGS! GO OPETH!

:Smug:

I was at all three of the Stanley Cup Games when they won it a few years back. 16 years in a row in the playoffs. One of the best players of all time STEVE YZERMAN. I think we are the Yankees of the NHL. And as far as the Minnesota North Stars......errrr... Wild.... they are a pass through team. The Wings are Hockey, and damn if I did not hear Opeth at the game.

Well....when you join the league in 1979, and in 3 years are in the finals 83'-84'85' 87'88' and 90 oh, and win 5 in 7 years, and only miss in 86 because your own teammate scores on his own team in game 7 to prevent yet another championship, oh and the 94 cup winning f-ing New York Rangers have 9 Oilers on their roster that they bought in 93...I think the Yankees of hockey are more than likely the Edmonton Oilers, who beat #1 seed Detroit last year to get to the finals...only to just lose their sixth in game 7...hmmmm

Um no. Edmonton has always had one of the lowest team salaries. No way are they like the Yankees.

Then again, the Yankees aren't much this year. May 19th and they're 11 games back. Good times.

Um no. Edmonton has always had one of the lowest team salaries. No way are they like the Yankees.

Then again, the Yankees aren't much this year. May 19th and they're 11 games back. Good times.

What does money have to with what people initially think about the Yankees? The Yanks are known for championships, and dominating. You think when Edmonton was dominating, they were thinking...we're not spending a lot of money. Pretty bad when you think money is the key to it all. Then why, doesn't Detroit win more, if that's what you're using to compare them?

What does money have to with what people initially think about the Yankees? The Yanks are known for championships, and dominating. You think when Edmonton was dominating, they were thinking...we're not spending a lot of money. Pretty bad when you think money is the key to it all. Then why, doesn't Detroit win more, if that's what you're using to compare them?

Because there's a salary cap on hockey - the Red Wings don't have the highest salary.

Because there's a salary cap on hockey - the Red Wings don't have the highest salary.

well, other teams are winning with smaller budgets. I think it's funny that people would think that grabbing all the great players with a fat wallet is something to be bragging about..."yeah!!! we spend more money than the other teams...wait, salary cap? That's not fair...we want to have all the great players because we're a big city...we have to have everything!"

Please see post #26:

"Detroit's top 4 scorers, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Holmstrom? All draft picks. And low picks at that (rounds 6, 7, 3, and 10 respectively)"

By the way - a big thanks to Samsara for keeping this thread alive!

Please see post #26:

"Detroit's top 4 scorers, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Holmstrom? All draft picks. And low picks at that (rounds 6, 7, 3, and 10 respectively)"

By the way - a big thanks to Samsara for keeping this thread alive!

EVERY player that Edmonton has in the the hockey hall of fame...drafted. And, there's a few that will be in there in the next year or two.Top this...look in your record books if you think I'm wrong...most gaols in a season- team...hmmm ....Edmonton .Top three scorers in the league Edmonton 1, 2, 3 Gretzky, Kurri, Anderson. Did it a few seasons. And it wasn't like just 40 or 50 goals...no! In 86' ELEVEN players from Edmonton on the All-Star team. Top 2 scorers all time? Gretzky...Mark Messier. Look in your NHL record books...look at all the records they destroyed in such a short span of time. With low salaries....I forgot to mention the other players that the F-ing NY Rangers didn't get...they went to freaking La Kings...six of them .... got to the finals to lose in 5 games. The second biggest sports market tried to buy a championship as well. Doesn't always work. I like Datsyuk, and Zetterberg...good style and speed...definitely the foundation for that overall young team. Build around those two for sure.