Is Opeth Anti-jews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunimetal

Jun 14, 2004
Tunisia
Hello, I am new here, I have a questrion regarding Opeth's lyrics. i think they are fantasitc, but some of the seem anti-jewish. Like, i'm not sure if it's true or not, i thought i would ask though.
I thought it could be possoibel seeings as they are from Germany and have grandfathers and fathers who was Nazis
I will give some examples

In the The Amen Corner, then amen corner was what Nazi's called jewsih shrine is death camps in
WORLD WAR TWO.
And the lyrics say
White summer. So far I have gone to see you again. Hiding your face in the palm of your hands. Finding solace in the words I do despise. You snatch at every sound. And even though you believe that I am shackled within death, memories are tainted with paleness.

It keeps mention white and pale, like they think it's better. And the shackles and Death , it scares me what all this could mean.

My ashes within your hands.

This sound like it's when they picked up the ashes of burnt jews. I have studied Nazi history in school and i know exactly what happened, and these guys seem to be saying what happened.

and in Karma

The rotting body clad in ancient clothes is left behind with a wave of the hand.

They made the jews wear stars of david on old clothes, is this what this means?

If Opeth are anti-Jews I am disgusted and will refyuse to listen to them. Nazi's were wrong. I loved thius band until i noticed this, but it's jsut to much. You are all nazi's if you believe in this, and you will all go to hell, to be with satan.

I've noticed this too, and I just shrugged it off as my true White self showing through. Maybe Mikael could shed some light on it?

I hope this post was supposed to be humourous. Because I couldn't help but laugh. I'm sorry. Btw, White Cluster?!? Why can't it be Black cluster. Psh the racists!

Opeth's from Germany? I could have sworn they were from Sweden.

Don't read so closely into things .. if you look at it the wrong way pretty much anything can be turned into an anti (insert some race here) statement ..

Tunimetal said:
You are all nazi's if you believe in this, and you will all go to hell, to be with satan.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh out really hard about this statement.
And Opeth from Germany??? I wonder where you could have possibly got that from. You should maybe do some research before you post a shit thread like this unless it's a joke.

Tunimetal said:
No, they are from germany.

Mikael Akerfeldt (guitars and vocals) and Peter Lindegrin (Guitars) are Swedish. Martin Mendez (Bass) and Martin Lopez (Drums and Percussion) are from Uruguay. Steven Wilson, who is not a member, but acted as a mentor, producer, and musician for the Koch Records and Music-For-Nations albums is
English, and has his own collection of bands, own of these is a duo with him and an Israeli. I do not think Opeth, if they were anti-semetic would work with a friend of a jew. So basically all these points have really proved you wrong. I suppose when you add Uruguay and Sweden together you get Germany, but I'll never know.
Also for future reference, almost all of their albums are epics. This means the lyrics tell a story that is fictional. The My Arms, Your Hearse album contains Credence and The Amen Corner. My Arms, Your Hearse is based on a ghost story, and Mikael Akerfeldt prefers one to interpret the lyrics themselves. If you want to interpret it that way then that's your decision.
Opeth is based in Stockholm Sweden, and all the members currently reside is Stockholm Sweden. Akerfeldt was raised in Stockholm, Sweden. 3/4 of the band was born in Sweden (Mendez was not). 2/4 Grew from infancy to maturity in Sweden (the guitarists). 2/4 lived in Uruguay for most of their life. 2/4 of the band are hispanic, which would mean they don't fit an Aryan discription.
READ THE FAQ

Tunimetal, relax. Opeth has nothing to do with anti-semitism. These lyrics you brought up with "white" and "pale" uses the words in negative ways, to describe a face full of fear. You're interpretation of this is veeryy inaccurate, in fact, all wrong.

Jesus Christ! for someone who has been educated about the Holocaust to the extent that you claim at least use the right terminology, its anti-semitic, not anti-jew, you make youself sound like an even bigger idiot using anti-jew

Status
Not open for further replies.