Is Opeth they only metal group 4 u?

Albatros

visitor
Dec 11, 2006
Greece
Well its is for me! I'm not into metal and never was. Opeth is on top of the list and thats because they are beyond metal. The only thing that tags them as a metal band is the brutality of their sound.

I was wondering if other people here feel the same way or they are just metalheads.

yeah really, to quote NFU 'id rather gargle camels cum than admit im a metalhead'. but i still love lots of metal. just i love lots of non metal too. i dont think therell be many people round here that are the same as you.

I love metal, certainly, but would not call myself a "metalhead". Aside from the fact that I refuse to carry any type of elite ego with being a fan of the genre and its sub-genres, I listen to a wide variety of other types of music.

Opeth isn't some avant-garde "beyond metal" band to me, they're just some dudes who happen to love 70s prog as much as they do metal, and mix em together.

I love metal and I love plenty of other types of music, but I am not ashamed to identify myself with any of it! I am who I am, and I like what I like, metal or otherwise!

Well its is for me! I'm not into metal and never was. Opeth is on top of the list and thats because they are beyond metal. The only thing that tags them as a metal band is the brutality of their sound.

I was wondering if other people here feel the same way or they are just metalheads.
I know what you mean. Opeth is the about the only "death metal" band I listen to. Other metal I like is Ulver, Primordial, Extol etc. I would not ascociate with any "metal" culture. I just like brutality when it seems to have a purpose.

I know what you mean. Opeth is the about the only "death metal" band I listen to. Other metal I like is Ulver, Primordial, Extol etc. I would not ascociate with any "metal" culture. I just like brutality when it seems to have a purpose.

Well said. That's pretty much all I have to say here.

^ Well, to me anyway, metal is generally pretty stupid save for a few bands actually doing something cool. Even then, those are the bands that generally sometimes don't even feel like metal at times - Opeth, Arcturus and Ulver come to mind.

no

and opeth are not beyond metal. They aren't the first band ever to do the heavy/soft - acoustic/metal riffs schtick, though they do do it rather well.

yeah really, to quote NFU 'id rather gargle camels cum than admit im a metalhead'. but i still love lots of metal. just i love lots of non metal too. i dont think therell be many people round here that are the same as you.

I hope he wasn't serious. Oh, and why camel?

no

and opeth are not beyond metal. They aren't the first band ever to do the heavy/soft - acoustic/metal riffs schtick, though they do do it rather well.

Yep. And yeah, I simply listen to good music whatever the classification, although for me metal bands just so happen to fall within the concept of good music much more often than non-metal bands.

no

Interchanges from brutal to soft isn't the only thing that makes them special, It's just the thing that is noticeable by everyone. Their music has the benefit of being unpredictable, and impossible to stick a tag on. They sound Metal but they are beyond! For example Lopez sounds too fucking jazzy and interesting, plays drums beyond the madness of "ultimate speed". Many guitar solos have a Bluesy feeling... etc. Its useless to tag them, they are OPETH so unique! No other metal band does it for me! And I love AL of their material.