Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

Elric of Melniboné

The White Wolf
Jul 11, 2016
I'd be interested in finding out the answer to this question. There are so many people here who like a lot of different things and there are quite a few people who dislike even widely acclaimed albums.

I was thinking of that but I also honestly think that certain people here may not actually find Black Sabbath that interesting.

Well, here's the first two Hall of Fame classes:

The Class of February 2016:
Black Sabbath
Slayer
Darkthrone
Judas Priest
Bathory
Iron Maiden

The Class of March 2016:
Motörhead
Metallica
Saint Vitus
The Chasm
Burzum

Black Sabbath had the most points of any band. My guess is the band with an album you're looking for is on this list though.

You can eliminate Burzum, Iron Maiden and Darkthrone for me.

I can safely say others here wouldn't agree on Metallica also.

I can safely eliminate almost all of those bands without even looking into what people have said about them in the past.

I think we did this, and it was either Paranoid or Powerslave that was the most universally acclaimed on the board.

I think we did this, and it was either Paranoid or Powerslave that was the most universally acclaimed on the board.

I've already seen people who dislike Iron Maiden here so I know that's out.

Who doesn't like Black Sabbath? or Motorhead?

That's a good question to ask directly. Most of the other bands on that list definitely have people who vocally don't like them or find them overrated.

there's probably someone here who doesn't like HELL AWAITS, MENTAL FUNERAL, UNDER THE SIGN... etc? i doubt everyone here considers a motorhead album to be an *absolute classic* either. i guess MASTER OF REALITY or PARANOID are probably our best bet.

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
there's probably someone here who doesn't like HELL AWAITS, MENTAL FUNERAL, UNDER THE SIGN... etc? i doubt everyone here considers a motorhead album to be an *absolute classic* either. i guess MASTER OF REALITY or PARANOID are probably our best bet.

I'm certain that there are people here who don't like Slayer, Autopsy and Bathory that much for whatever reason.

I like Motörhead a lot and I would have to agree that none of their albums are absolutely essential. I'm sure some people disagree. They are a consistent band anyway.

Stained Class

There is a certain crowd here that seems to dislike amazing traditional metal albums for whatever reason.

I'm now leaning towards something by Black Sabbath even though I suspect that someone will show up that says they don't like them.

I'm going to say Black Sabbath Vol. 4 or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Paranoid and Master of Reality are great but have been played out and have their annoying moments.