Is innovation important to you?

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Kaamos are SO fucking good. Lucifer Rising owns me.

:lol:...I sorta just pointed them out to piss you off. And no I wasn't high. I just felt like declaring my love for all of you.

Carcassian: Listen to VORE.

Thanks mate, I'll hunt some down.

On the Kaamos front: agreed. How fucking cool ARE this band?:kickass:

Carcassian said:
Not trying to be a cunt Joe, but you don't see releasing an album of new songs but with the "sunlight studios" sound is more of a risk than a new album with the latest fad-core sound ? It's certainly likely to sell less and get less favourable reviews thanks to scarf wearing, guardian reading trendy fuck reviewers.

Well I meant more of a creative risk, I don't think that retro bands are in it for the money or anything but in terms of trying somthing that sets them apart from a scene and which there might not be an immidiate audience for I think there is more uncertainty in being unusual than giving people a sound that's familiar. I mean the 'sunlight sound' will draw metalheads no matter where you play it since you're always going to have appeal for a small group of dedicated loyalists. If you aim low its hard to 'fail' in any real sense.

Also I'm not just talking about whatever's trendy, Neurosis are trendy now but that's only because they've been following their own path for over a decade and magazines like Terrorizer have noticed their creativity. I know you would rather listen to established genres but all I'm trying to say is that I think its within the right of any music magazine to champion bands they think are doing something new, instead of propping up old genres that they already covered back when they meant something.

Yeah, OK mate, but I mean in general more like the bands that are reviving "dead" genres - the Sunlight sound has been gone for about 10 years to all extents and purposes. I'm not against new sounds, by all means, but what I mean is that I dont seek innovation over quality.

I suppose I'm fairly close to the centre of the argument, but in a closer to traditional viewpoint, but you are slightly closer to the innovation side of things.

Atrocity's last release, Atlantis was a prime example of how a band can be innovative and still stay true to metal roots.

(seeing the Sneaker Pimps combination reminded me of Atlantis)

Here's Atrocity's sound:

Behemoth + David Bowie

lol...sounds messed up, but it works. Phenomenal cd.

Scott

Anyone doubting Vore please listen to MALEFICUS. Pounding, thick old-school death metal (pity about that kick drum sound...oh well) in the vein of Bolt Thrower, etc. Kaamos are amazing but I still need their first CD.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Anyone doubting Vore please listen to MALEFICUS. Pounding, thick old-school death metal (pity about that kick drum sound...oh well) in the vein of Bolt Thrower, etc. Kaamos are amazing but I still need their first CD.

Me too.

Kaamos are one of the best bands I've heard in the last couple of years. Dense, dark, evil: everything best about metal.

Carcassian said:
Yeah, OK mate, but I mean in general more like the bands that are reviving "dead" genres - the Sunlight sound has been gone for about 10 years to all extents and purposes. I'm not against new sounds, by all means, but what I mean is that I dont seek innovation over quality.

I suppose I'm fairly close to the centre of the argument, but in a closer to traditional viewpoint, but you are slightly closer to the innovation side of things.

Yeah pretty much, I used to hang out with loads of guys in retro sounding death metal bands and it was obvious how genuinely they loved the music they played, so no disrespect to bands like that at all. I'm cetainly going to check out the other bands you and Hellmike listed when I get a chance.

Necro Joe said:
Yeah pretty much, I used to hang out with loads of guys in retro sounding death metal bands and it was obvious how genuinely they loved the music they played, so no disrespect to bands like that at all. I'm cetainly going to check out the other bands you and Hellmike listed when I get a chance.

Chuck me your email on PM and I'l rip it and send you a link to some "samples" :lol:

bloodbath__01.jpg

Innovation is very important to keep music moving forward. I truly hope that the music I hear today in metal will not be the exact same thing I hear 20 years from now... I do not believe it will, just look at the last 40 years... metal has come leaps and bounds, and I hope ot will continue to do so. I think bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Ihshan, Necrophagist, Amorphis, and Ephel Duath are prime examples of groups that continue to push the boundaries of music.

It depends. The band should do what feels right and let that come out naturally in the music even if it maybe done before. It gets lame when a band forces themselves to do something new just for the sake of it being new if you know what I mean. Also, it's stupid if a band's style is judged poorly just because the style isn't with it with the times.

Like some of you said earlier. Ultimately, anything (not just music) with substance will last the test of time.

Good bands have a distinct sound; They distinguish themselves from the rest of the scene. That usually means being innovative.

Good bands experiment stylistically, rather than sticking with a single formula across all their songs. That usually means being innovative.

However, being innovative doesn't necessarily mean using weird song structures or time signatures or using non-traditional instrumentation: Dream Theater is innovative, and occasionally brilliant, but a lot of their stuff comes off as trying too hard to be progressive. Hypocrisy isn't technically groundbreaking, but they are innovative because they've created a unique sound.

Black Metal/Trip-Hop sounds fucking killer. I seriously want to hear some.

AlphaTemplar said:
Good bands have a distinct sound; They distinguish themselves from the rest of the scene. That usually means being innovative.

Good bands experiment stylistically, rather than sticking with a single formula across all their songs. That usually means being innovative.

However, being innovative doesn't necessarily mean using weird song structures or time signatures or using non-traditional instrumentation: Dream Theater is innovative, and occasionally brilliant, but a lot of their stuff comes off as trying too hard to be progressive. Hypocrisy isn't technically groundbreaking, but they are innovative because they've created a unique sound.

Black Metal/Trip-Hop sounds fucking killer. I seriously want to hear some.

Way to state opinion as fucking fact.

Anything that you say that isn't fact is obviously opinion regardless of how it's worded, and everyone knows it. I don't think a million "IMO" tags are necessary to express one's opinion.