Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

Too many to chose from, but Screaming For Vengeance is, or should be, a contender.
For Traditional, straight up Heavy Metal at any rate.
For black metal, I would say either ITNE or Transylvanian Hunger, overplayed though they may be.
Death metal (of which I'm not really a fan of outside a few early bands) I would have to go with either Possessed Seven Churches, Scream Bloody Gore / Leprosy or Altars.
Thrash, Bonded By Blood or Show no Mercy.

But, then you have Venom - Black Metal, and Mercyful Fate - Melissa to take into consideration.

Interesting thread.

Screaming for Vengeance has some great songs on it, but it's not even one of Judas Priest's best albums. I don't consider it a classic.

Transilvanian Hunger is certainly a masterpiece and one of the high points of metal as art, but there's a massive portion of the metal community that lack the ability to get that sort of album. Leprosy shows a similarly masterful merger of sound and vision, but might be accessible enough to get a greater consensus.

But Venom? A key transition between Motorhead and Bathory with little intrinsic value.

I only break it out once in a moon, but it still works for me. Especially the mid-section of Into The Infinity Of Thoughts.
The album that lost it's appeal for me rather quickly was their follow up. IX Equilibrium was (to me) what Anthems was trying to be, but I always felt they were at odds with the direction they wanted to take at the time, ergo we have the schizophrenic Anthems, an album afflicted with a bit of a personality crisis.

Oh god, what an ass backwards opinion. Anthems is one of the most cohesive and unified black metal albums ever created with stellar vision. IX Equilibrium, on the other hand, is caught between Samoth's desire to veer into blackened death metal and Ihsahn's desire to veer into progressive black metal.

Let's put this thread back into focus guys.

"Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?"

Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill Y'all

Oh god, what an ass backwards opinion. Anthems is one of the most cohesive and unified black metal albums ever created with stellar vision. IX Equilibrium, on the other hand, is caught between Samoth's desire to veer into blackened death metal and Ihsahn's desire to veer into progressive black metal.
Anthems is shit. Loss and Curse of Reverence is the only song worth two shits on it.

Anthems is shit. Loss and Curse of Reverence is the only song worth two shits on it.

Nah, that's "Ensorcelled by Khaos" as pompous as it is. Parts of the first proper track and the ending of "With Strength I Burn", too.

But yeah it's a barely above average album on the whole.

7219.jpg

Reactions: Baroque
SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE is a top 5 Sabbath song.

i'd agree, maybe, they have so damn many good songs though. it's up there.

If that song were released today I wonder what subgenre it would be considered. it's almost thrashy/speed metal as far as the guitar riffs are concerned, some of the drum riffs could be straight out of Death. At the same time it has similarities to songs from Trouble which are considered doom, and then it gets a bit progressive at the end...

To me, Anthems just doesn't feel cohesive.
With Strength, The Wanderer, Loss and Curse, Acclamation of Bonds... all great tracks.
The rest I usually skip.
Equilibrium IX always felt like the songs fit together more than Anthems.
You are of course free to disagree, but I stand by my statement.