ITB Production question

Mikaël-ange;10044848 said:
Remember, -18dbfs RMS, so you get -10dbfs peak.
You need your trim plugin once for get a proper gain staging (like exist on any console). And yes you can clip both plugin imput/output stage, or run out of headroom...
oh yeah.. =)

For testing purpose, do a simple thing.

-Import some raw track on a session (Drum for exemple), do a quickly balance with no trim imput inserted (so standard super hot recorded track you get generally) and mixdown.
-Put trim plugin on all your track, get your level right; re do your balance and mixdown.

Now match volume level on both track (super hot mixdown and good level mixdown) and A/B.

Mikaël-ange;10045079 said:
For testing purpose, do a simple thing.

-Import some raw track on a session (Drum for exemple), do a quickly balance with no trim imput inserted (so standard super hot recorded track you get generally) and mixdown.
-Put trim plugin on all your track, get your level right; re do your balance and mixdown.

Now match volume level on both track (super hot mixdown and good level mixdown) and A/B.
i'm doing it! then i post the result.. i use a shared project on this forum.. any suggest for the project choice?:headbang:

All it does it that is compresses less than usual. As far as I remember it compresses quite a lot with a hot signal even when you completely back off the gain. However I can't remember it exactly anymore.

then i suggest to use (on protools) the TRIM plugin as FIRST plugin of EACH plugin chain in the session, and setting the TRIM to almost -20dbFS (that is quite close to the 0 VU, that is the best level for the real machines)..

I'm going to say exactly the opposite of this. Most plugs, at least from my experience seem to work better with pleanty of signal on the way in. I always stick a trim plug as the last plugin to bring the individual track levels back to the -18 to -20 level.

If you put the trim plugin first then you have to adjust the gain on all the plugs that come after it. Most times you open a preset the gain is going to change. Even if the sound was exactly the same, if the trim is last then you adjust the level once.

I'm going to say exactly the opposite of this. Most plugs, at least from my experience seem to work better with pleanty of signal on the way in. I always stick a trim plug as the last plugin to bring the individual track levels back to the -18 to -20 level.

If you put the trim plugin first then you have to adjust the gain on all the plugs that come after it. Most times you open a preset the gain is going to change. Even if the sound was exactly the same, if the trim is last then you adjust the level once.
i noticed that i wrote wrong.. i wasn't suggesting anything, i just quoted the words of mr burrows.. ok?

i think that a trim like LAST plugin is a waste of ram. you can set the final output on the last plug of the chain, without adding a new plugin just to level the final signal. IMHO.

i noticed that i wrote wrong.. i wasn't suggesting anything, i just quoted the words of mr burrows.. ok?

I think you must have misinterpreted what I'm saying, I'm in no way having a dig at you. We're cool. It's a good post to share. FWIW I've read that thread over on GS before and its got some great info in it. That's what started me using the trim plug in the first place.

i think that a trim like LAST plugin is a waste of ram. you can set the final output on the last plug of the chain, without adding a new plugin just to level the final signal. IMHO.

I don't think a trim plug is using much RAM. Even if it was if you're only using one trim plug as the last plugin in the chain as opposed to the first plugin in the chain the the memory usage is the same.

Another problem with setting the level with the last plugin, what if you add another plug, change it for something else or even just change the settings? You have to change the gain in multiple places. That's not the reason why I do it this way though, I do it this way mainly because to my ears most plugs seem to sound better working in the realm that the manufacture presets sit which is usually high in high out.

I think you must have misinterpreted what I'm saying, I'm in no way having a dig at you. We're cool. It's a good post to share. FWIW I've read that thread over on GS before and its got some great info in it. That's what started me using the trim plug in the first place.
lol.. ok now i understood! :Smokin:

I don't think a trim plug is using much RAM. Even if it was if you're only using one trim plug as the last plugin in the chain as opposed to the first plugin in the chain the the memory usage is the same.

Another problem with setting the level with the last plugin, what if you add another plug, change it for something else or even just change the settings? You have to change the gain in multiple places. That's not the reason why I do it this way though, I do it this way mainly because to my ears most plugs seem to sound better working in the realm that the manufacture presets sit which is usually high in high out.
i tried.. the TRIM plug don't seems to suck ram.. mmm i think that if you change something on the chain that really affect the gain, you need to set again even the TRIM plug.. let's suppose that one plug have a gain reduction bigger than the value you have set on the TRIM plug.. then you should set again the level as the same as another plugin.. IMHO!:Spin: