It's gonna have to be mind blowing or fuck it - Opeth

well if that's the case, then i'm very excited about the record, his death metal stuff is played out, some prog stuff with clean vocals sounds awesome

My guess is that it's going to be along the lines of "The Throat of Winter," the latest song written/recorded - acoustic guitars played proggy and heavy, all clean vocals, non traditional song structures...just a guess

My guess is that it's going to be along the lines of "The Throat of Winter," the latest song written/recorded - acoustic guitars played proggy and heavy, all clean vocals, non traditional song structures...just a guess
. . . .ehhh' and thats easily their worst song ever, imo. I don't think it'll be like that, maybe that song will appear on the record, but I imagine he's gonna do something like Dio or something, some more ballad stuff with a lot of solo's like "burden," but I hope not, wanna hear Mike make a comeback like Gilmour did with "On an Island." something that truly is new for him and not more rehashed riffs with death growls. There's not any metal riff that sticks out on any of their last 2 albums, except for all of "Ghost of Perdition," for me anyway

Yeah I clearly remember him saying that about Storm Corrosion. He said it sounds like nothing the two of them have ever done before.

I have been a huge opeth fan for many years but (like many things) appraoch the music i listen to as objectively as possible. GR took many listens but i finally got into it but WS, having spun it alot is such a dissapointment and dare i say boring release. I think opeth should maybe take a leaf out of the katatonia book and drop the death vocals altogehter now. It takes a very talented, creative and dynamic band/musician to transfer from death/doom metal vocals and integrate a completly clean sound into their music. It worked for katatonia and why not for opeth? Just a suggestion but mike clearly has the influences and musical sophistcation to take the opeth sound that direction. I think this opinion has come about due the dissapointment i had with WS. The transition from mikes death to clean just sounds 'beat out' and i would even go as far as to say is starting to lack any credibility now. Their best work (coinsidently or not) was working with wilson. Im sure the two have disscused it but we will see. Bring back the Akerfeldt, Mendez, Lopez and Lindgren era, for christs sake. At least the music was interesting then.

It's funny, if you look at the history of rock music and metal, it's very rare for a band to last as long as Opeth and still sound fresh and original with memorable songs (even halfway through their career). People are pretty harsh on Opeth and Watershed, but it's because their other releases were so damn good. I think Watershed was really their only bad release but everybody seems to think that they're heading down the drain. I'm not so quick to make a judgement and want to wait until the next release to really decide, per getting fired was one hopeful sign (I liked his playing but Opeth doesn't need a bunch of keyboards).

I have been a huge opeth fan for many years but (like many things) appraoch the music i listen to as objectively as possible. GR took many listens but i finally got into it but WS, having spun it alot is such a dissapointment and dare i say boring release. I think opeth should maybe take a leaf out of the katatonia book and drop the death vocals altogehter now. It takes a very talented, creative and dynamic band/musician to transfer from death/doom metal vocals and integrate a completly clean sound into their music. It worked for katatonia and why not for opeth? Just a suggestion but mike clearly has the influences and musical sophistcation to take the opeth sound that direction. I think this opinion has come about due the dissapointment i had with WS. The transition from mikes death to clean just sounds 'beat out' and i would even go as far as to say is starting to lack any credibility now. Their best work (coinsidently or not) was working with wilson. Im sure the two have disscused it but we will see. Bring back the Akerfeldt, Mendez, Lopez and Lindgren era, for christs sake. At least the music was interesting then.

that was a very articulate post, summed it up just the way I would have without ranting (like I always - or mostly - do).

but yeah, (uhh oh, here comes the rant) I feel the same way. It's played out, but I also feel like his riffing style is played out as well. Opeth needs re-invented, I hear hardly any of the same stuff on NITND as I heard in TGCD, and same after Viva Emptiness was released. Mike needs to take a different approach, I expect more of the same with this new album

I would almost like Mikael to do the opposite and only use death vocals. I think I am saying this mainly because I think a few people have said something about them possibly just doing clean vocals now as well. If he stopped doing death vocals, I would be very annoyed. Also, I think it is entirely possible that Opeth would do just that and drop the harsher vocals. It probably sounds stupid., but I just do not think dropping one vocal style completely is a great idea.

The difference with Katatonia was that clean vocals were rarely used before Discouraged Ones, so it was a big transformation. Opeth has already written many tracks with just clean vocals, so I do not think it would create that refreshing of a sound. Either way, I am really excited for the new album.

I think he should turn Opeth into a Village People cover band. Their new tagline could be: "Opeth, now with 110% more cockrock."

mens-fashion-70s.jpg