It's over....

I disagree with that statement. I don't think mainstream music is necissarily a lifestyle. I think it CAN be, but... no. Especially in the case of nightwish....no

symphonyXjapan said:
No, it isn't. But it is a lifestyle of music that I personally don't like.

Explain to me how there can be a lifestyle that is absolutely 100% required for any genre of music. Then tell me how it can cover everything from Greenday to Brittney Spears to Hanson to Tupac.

I mainly get angry at the fact that these mainstreamers don't even give a band a chance until the industry has fed it to them.

About the 'mainstream' people not liking anything until its fed to them, I must pipe up in the defense of some people here. Alot of people just dont know how to get exposed to 'underground' stuff, and that's not their fault. It's a product of the environment they grew up in. But once they do get exposed, they eat it up.. These people are just metalheads in the making.

It's the people that HAVE had the access to different music, and thinking its crap because of that old close minded idea that it cant be good if no ones ever heard of it (or arent even willing to give it a try if someone offers it to them), and THEN make a turn around once it hits the 'big time' and suddenly love it BECAUSE everyone else does. These people shit me!

The bottom line is, I try not to judge a mainstreamer till I've found out their attitude towards trying new things.

SilentRealm said:
About the 'mainstream' people not liking anything until its fed to them, I must pipe up in the defense of some people here. Alot of people just dont know how to get exposed to 'underground' stuff, and that's not their fault. It's a product of the environment they grew up in. But once they do get exposed, they eat it up.. These people are just metalheads in the making.

It's the people that HAVE had the access to different music, and thinking its crap because of that old close minded idea that it cant be good if no ones ever heard of it (or arent even willing to give it a try if someone offers it to them), and THEN make a turn around once it hits the 'big time' and suddenly love it BECAUSE everyone else does. These people shit me!

The bottom line is, I try not to judge a mainstreamer till I've found out their attitude towards trying new things.

I can agree with that.

SilentRealm said:

\m/

Personally I don't like Nightwish anymore, the sound just changed, and not just because they are appearing in music channels with their awful song Nemo (I loved Angels Fall First, Wishmaster and Oceanborn)...

But it's very good they got this big deal, congratz!, same as to HIM, if i'm not mistaken HIM's deal was for 10 md...

I don't think they will change their style, just because of this, and if they do, there always will be ppl who will buy their albums, maybe new fans, which is still good for a band

Ummm.... Why does it matter if Nightwish becomes really famous in America? It's not like theya re going to "sell out". I'm not even sure what people eman by that. If they mean musicians should not make money for what they make, then that's stupid. Music is their job, and for this band, this good band, if they make more money like all the other MTV assholes do, who cares? It's not like they don't deserve it, and who knows... It may awaken metal awareness among the losers who are brainwashed by TRL and all that shit.

This may be a new day... Or maybe I'm wrong, but really. Does it matter if they're rich and famous? As long as the music stays good, who gives a shit?

Metal Immortal said:
Ummm.... Why does it matter if Nightwish becomes really famous in America? It's not like theya re going to "sell out". I'm not even sure what people eman by that. If they mean musicians should not make money for what they make, then that's stupid. Music is their job, and for this band, this good band, if they make more money like all the other MTV assholes do, who cares? It's not like they don't deserve it, and who knows... It may awaken metal awareness among the losers who are brainwashed by TRL and all that shit.

This may be a new day... Or maybe I'm wrong, but really. Does it matter if they're rich and famous? As long as the music stays good, who gives a shit?

I agree

Metal Immortal said:

The larger tha fanbase, the worse the music. Duh! :rolleyes:

I've always been amused at prog fans...whoever one person's favorite band is always needs more exposure and more people need to be open minded and listen to the awesomeness that is this band. But if any other band becomes succesful, they are sellouts and they suck.

Man, people rule. They're so stupid it's awesome.

You know, prog and black metal share a common bond. It is a neverending battle between progsnobs as well as black metallers to be the most tr00. Black metal it's like "check out this obscure band that no one has ever heard of but me, they are the best band on the planet and if more than 2 people listen to them then they have sold out". Prog is essentially the same... it's a gigantic pissing contest to see who's band is more underground, and GOD FORBID anyone tries to make a living off what they want to do. Apparently once a band is no longer underground, they cannot be metal any longer.

The world of metal can be complete bullshit sometimes. I love all kinds of metal, but I hate many of the different kinds of fans. I'm talking about the people who are only into one sub-genre, and "everything else sucks because it's not a part of this sub-genre." Hardcore fans are assholes, prog fans think they're the shit and know everything, Black metal fans are just fuckin stupid, death fans are just the same as hardcore, and then you got all the other kinds that don't really matter. I dunno if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but that's seriously what it's like.

Those who can be open minded and listen to all types of metal are the ones that I have some respect for. As well as those who know what it means to "appreciate" the music rather than just listen to it and enjoy it. Those who do not fall under those two categories are the ones that are usually turned against a band because of their change of direction. And so fuckin what if "Once" apparently sucked, that doesn't mean that other albums such as "Century Child" were even remotely bad. One bad album doesn't make everything a band has done in the past, shitty. I'm going to shut up now before I stop making sense, lol.

dargormudshark said:
I think the first Noghtwish album sucked, but the new one had some good stuff on it. On the roadrunner site it said "If you like Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, you will love nightwish" I think that is total bs.

Right...truthfully it should read something like "if you like Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica, you will love Nightwish." Problem is, look at all the other bands on Roadrunner's roster and tell me if you think fans of those bands know who Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica are. It makes me cringe but I can almost forgive it, simply because you gotta describe the band based on what listeners are most familiar with. How would you describe Symphony X to someone who's not heard a note of power or progressive metal? I usually just tell them "its like Iron Maiden mixed with Rush" or if they're a bit more learned about metal...even though I hate seeing SymX described this way myself, I fall back on the old "its like Dream Theater only more Panteraish with Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar and Dio on vocals."

New nightwish isn't all bad. I like it i guess, it's grown on me, but i suppose my oppinion is based int he fact that i know they can do and have done better, but that means jack and shit in terms or their current label standing.

On a funny note, i got a cd by a band called... shit... i think it was Asrai and the press release said that it was for fans of "The Gathering, Evanescense, and Nightwish". Well, fuckin' great. Since those bands sound absolutely NOTHING alike, I know nothing about how the band sounds other than the fact that they have a female vocalist. yet such comparisons are natural.

For the record, Asrai sounded nothing like either of those three bands apart from vox.

symphonyXjapan said:
Well, this is old news that I just became aware of so I think there are plenty who haven't heard it yet.

Now that Nightwish has outsold themselves over in Europe they are readily equipped to do the same here in North America. I just read that they signed with the infamous Roadrunner Records earlier this month (record company known for outselling bands such as Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, and Killswitch Engage). They plan on releasing Once on the record label here in NA and are currently on a huge headlining tour here in NA.

I don't know if I am the only one who hadn't heard this until just now but I always had the feeling that it was going happen with Nightwish. There is even a little interview with them on the Roadrunner site and the last question proves what most of us thought would happen, that question was: "How do you guys feel about being compared to bands such as Evanescence and Lacuna Coil?". Give it a few months and you will see them on MTV and you can get one of their shirts at your local Hot Topic. If you think I am sounding whiny and somewhat selfish then you are damn right! :p

As well as appearing on the Resident Evil: Apocalypse soundtrack with Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, and Killswitch Engage.

I think the idea of 'selling out' that people are afraid of, is when a band starts listening too much to what the labels want in order to sell maximum number of records, and dont use their own artistic integrity to make music they actually care about. No self-respecting band does that though, so I'm sure Nightwish wont.

dargormudshark said:
They might get popular but the last album was kind of expiremental, I wouldn't say it's selling out at all. Mainstream bands aren't allowed to expirement. I know Ben Moody left Evanescence beecause he didn't want to be mainstream. I seriously think the band is screwed because he was the head writer. Like I said I actually like them. I do agree though that most mainstream sucks.

That's not true at all. Ben Moody left Evanescence because he wanted to take advantage of his opportunity to have a huge mainstream career before Evanescence burnt out. He's now helping pop stars jump on the bandwagon by writing them "heavy" songs. He's worked with Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne and one other even more ridiculously unexpected pop star whose name was not released when I read about this. Evanescence was mainstream to begin with. That's not to say they weren't decent. What will hurt them more than losing Ben Moody is that they replaced him with the guy from Cold. I expect their next album to be really awful with that guy writing.