James LaBrie cancels PPUSA performance

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
From his management:

As many of you are no doubt aware, James LaBrie of Dream Theater has been scheduled to perform at this year’s ProgPower Festival among many other incredible artists. While James and his band had been looking forward to this live appearance and performances of James’ solo material for many, many months, circumstances have forced the band to have to pull out of this year’s festival. The entire band regretfully makes this decision to officially cancel the appearance after several weeks of making every effort to try and maintain the scheduling as anticipated. Unfortunately in this case, James LaBrie’s responsibilities to Dream Theater and his bandmates are of the utmost importance, and this will be a critical period of writing in studio for the next Dream Theater record. James wishes to thank all of his fans who were looking forward to this appearance and supported this upcoming live solo band performance at ProgPower. The entire James LaBrie band is deeply apologetic to all those eagerly anticipating the show, and the band looks forward to making this historic live appearance happen in the future.

Dang!!! With 4 months to get a new band, I am guessing overseas replacements (cough THRESHOLD cough) are out of the question.

My guess is that one of the existing bands will be moved to headlining status (Redemption or Labyrinth are good candidates) and a band will backfill.

No matter, the situation still sucks.

Oh well, stuff happens. Planning this far in advance things will ultimately arise that are out of control of the promoters. Things like this have happened in the past, pretty often actually a band cancels for some reason or another. It has NEVER kept me from attending and won't this year. Look forward to the event.

Perhaps The Contortionist could be an add on since they are in the USA.

really hate it for Glenn. Not the first time someone has dropped a flaming turd sandwich in his lap before, even a headliner. One of the many reasons we love Glenn, is he always finds a way to make this situation better.

Reactions: NorseBlood
Dang!!! With 4 months to get a new band, I am guessing overseas replacements (cough THRESHOLD cough) are out of the question.
Hey, they're playing Pennsylvania in a week... I'll be seeing them in Montreal on Wednesday (worked out better with existing vacation plans).

Would have loved it, but Threshold are playing in Europe during PP's week...
Bubble burst. :/ Benedictum?

Not a Dream Theater fan. Wasn't really looking forward to seeing LaBrie either.
So don't let the door hit you on the ass James, and don't come back.

One of these would be my choices to replace Sir James, not in any particular order:
Vanden Plas
Jon Oliva's Pain or Savatage
Voyager
Accept
Grave Digger
Lacuna Coil

If you need to bring in another band to fill in a gap (e.g. if an existing band is promoted to headliner), then one of these:
Votum
Vanden Plas
Wintersun
Thunder & Lightning
Evergrey
Communic
Innerwish
Wind Rose
Diviner

Whatever the decision, Glenn will make the right choice. He always does.

Last edited:
Damn. It would have been cool to see James play live, as well as to get his autograph to join Mike Portnoy's on I&W.

But Glenn always comes up with something interesting, whether it will be to pull from the current roster or to add someone new. If someone from the current roster moves to a headlining slot, then perhaps they can do a special set. Perhaps a band like Mindmaze or Stormzone could take one of the earlier slots.

However, if they get a new headliner, would it be feasible to get Accept at this late date? They don't seem to be doing any live shows in early September, and seeing them headline would be awesome.

Or perhaps Sabaton could make their return. Yes, they already played Atlanta earlier this year, but a special set from them would be awesome. Same thing for Iced Earth.

Reactions: NorseBlood
after their last debacle at PP, I could care less to EVER see Iced Earth again at the fest.

after their last debacle at PP, I could care less to EVER see Iced Earth again at the fest.

The only thing I can think of is the end of the set? Jon was pissed on stage because he thought there were technical difficulties. However, it was Jon's guitar that actually blew up. Nobody could figure out wtf happened at the time, including his techs. They took it apart and it was blackened/charred on the inside. His tech told him he never seen that happen in his 20 years on the road. Once Jon was shown, he was incredulous and couldn't believe it either.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I just want you to know that Jon was one of the most gracious and coolest guys to ever attend the fest backstage.

Reactions: Mardoch
Regarding Iced Earth-that was 2008 right? If so, that tour appeared to be a mess for a lot of reasons. I caught them in Cleveland that year, and there was definitely something off. Matt's voice appeared to be shot, while the drummer didn't really seem to be in sync with the rest of the band, and Jon looked pissed off for most of the set. And that doesn't even get into the fact that they were touring on the weakest album of the entire catalog: Crucible of Man. It seemed as of even the band realized it as they only played a couple of songs from that album and focused more on classic IE material.

However, since Stu Block joined the band, they've been a much tighter outfit, incorporating material from throughout the band's catalog, including previously little-played material such as Dante's Inferno, Stand Alone, Damien, etc. Their Atlanta show last April was amazing with a good mix of classic IE material, hidden gems and newer material. I would love to see them come back with a special set--perhaps doing Dark Saga or Something Wicked This Way Comes in its entirety.