Jazz?

tynkkr said:
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend me some jazz-ish prog rock? I'm really not sure what I'm looking for (Devin Townsend's 'Bad Devil' comes to mind), but I've been curious about some jazz influenced prog for a while, and haven't been able to find too much on my own.

Extol's "Synergy" album has a lot of jazz influence in it. Its not really 'prog' rock but Technical Thrash with heavy jazz leanings and some prog thrown in there. Check it out and see if you like.

some of my favs off the top of my head (modern and classic)...

charles mingus
thelonious monk
sonny rollins
dave brubeck
john coltrane
dizzy gillespie
charlie bird
eric dolphy
art blakely
andrew hill
wayne shorter
louis armstrong
artie shaw
bill frisell
lee morgan
benny goodman
michael blake
herbie hancock
glenn miller
hank mobley
bill evans
chet baker
pat methany
dexter gordon
red garland
the bad plus
wynton kelly

listen too the song "swedenborgske rom" by jaga jazzist... a wicked tune that builds to an amazing wall of sound... 10 members that play atleast 3 instruments each... awesome

edit: everytime u listen, ull notice something different

EveOfDarkness said:
Extol's "Synergy" album has a lot of jazz influence in it. Its not really 'prog' rock but Technical Thrash with heavy jazz leanings and some prog thrown in there. Check it out and see if you like.
Where do you get jazz from that? I think people tend to label anything with weird chords in it "jazzy" when it really isn't in the least.

Anyway for some good fusion check out Weather Report, a band from the 70s. If you like prog rock you'll probably be able to get into SOME of it at least. They were a famous group back in the 70s/early 80s and had Jaco Pastorius in them for a time. Try getting "Heavy Weather," especially the song "Havona."

And Phish is NOT JAZZ. :(

I think those weren't mentioned yet:
James Hurt "Dark Grooves, Mystical Rhythms"
Joe Henderson "Porgy & Bess"
Tomasz Stańko "Litania", "A Soul Of Things", "Suspended Night", "Purple Sun", "Music For K."
jmTrio "Interludium" (I hope it's available outside Poland...)
Charlie Haden/Hank Jones "Steal Away"

It's really amusing when I see reviews for Meshuggah claiming they are heavily jazz-influenced and have jazz "timings".

I play jazz for various groups in my school and I have yet to hear any jazz influence on Meshuggah.

tynkkr said:
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend me some jazz-ish prog rock? I'm really not sure what I'm looking for (Devin Townsend's 'Bad Devil' comes to mind), but I've been curious about some jazz influenced prog for a while, and haven't been able to find too much on my own.
7For4
Vital Tech Tones
wankerness said:
Anyway for some good fusion check out Weather Report,
+ Mahavishnu Orchestra

Feorel said:
It's really amusing when I see reviews for Meshuggah claiming they are heavily jazz-influenced and have jazz "timings".

I play jazz for various groups in my school and I have yet to hear any jazz influence on Meshuggah.

Yeah most people who identify 'jazz influence' in metal are idiots. Everyone likes to claim "Still Life" is jazz influenced, I guess just cause it has lots of weird chords. The band Cynic also gets labelled "jazz influenced" all the time. A bunch of bullshit, even if they use chords used in jazz it's not like they use them in the same style AT ALL or have any sort of improvisatory thing going.

The Meshuggah guitarist's side project, "Sol Niger Within," has some straight up fusion on it though. Other than that the only metal cd that I've heard that actually DOES have jazz influence is Ephel Duath - The Painter's Pallette.

lotta good names...

i gotta say that anything with Jeff "Tain" Watts on drums is probably golden.
i.e.
Michael Brecker on tenor and/or Joey Calderazzo (sp?) on keyboards.

as for older stuff...

anything with McCoy Tyner and/or Joe Henderson
i also like the classic bebop stuff like Bird, 'Trane, Cannonball, Sonny Stitt, but less so

wankerness said:
Yeah most people who identify 'jazz influence' in metal are idiots. Everyone likes to claim "Still Life" is jazz influenced, I guess just cause it has lots of weird chords. The band Cynic also gets labelled "jazz influenced" all the time. A bunch of bullshit, even if they use chords used in jazz it's not like they use them in the same style AT ALL or have any sort of improvisatory thing going.

The Meshuggah guitarist's side project, "Sol Niger Within," has some straight up fusion on it though. Other than that the only metal cd that I've heard that actually DOES have jazz influence is Ephel Duath - The Painter's Pallette.

the intro to the moor is pretty jazzy....so is the face of melinda. switching to deliverance...for absent friends...pretty dern jazzy.

I love jazz. I luckily have a radio station run by UNT that I can listen to for free jazz without commercials. If you can listen to a good jazz station, do so.

I also haven't seen Duke Ellington mentioned in this thread.

JoeVice said:
the intro to the moor is pretty jazzy....so is the face of melinda. switching to deliverance...for absent friends...pretty dern jazzy.

Using guitar tone that sounds like the "jazz guitar" midi patch doesn't mean the music is jazzy...but I guess maybe you have something there.

wankerness said:
Using guitar tone that sounds like the "jazz guitar" midi patch doesn't mean the music is jazzy...but I guess maybe you have something there.
You are right. If I said anything by Opeth is jazzy though, it would be Advent. It has some very jazz moments.

wankerness said:

i wasn't talking about the tone...mike's lead tone has always been bluesy and jazzy...really dark and warm.