Jazz?

Thelema60 said:
Hi! Me, I listen to Jazz since 30 Years and got to know Opeth last year, so I come from the other side. With regard to Miles, it depends on what you like of his music: cool, hard bop, modal jazz, the 60s free bop or the electric years 69-75, or the pop jazz abyss of the 90s ...

At first, nothing compares to Miles :), neither in acoustic nor electric Jazz (70s!), if you want informations about him, just ask, but I think you can listen to his CDs in every record store. Tipps: Kind of Blue, Round Midnight, ESP, Nefertiti, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew(!!!), Agharta
Other great records/artists you could try out:
acoustic Jazz: Anthony Braxton (abstract free jazz), John Coltrane (to talk about god), Modern Jazz Quartet (nice), Stan Getz (nice), Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, London Jazz Composers Orchestra
electric Jazz/Jazz Rock: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miroslav Vitous (his first record), Weather Report Live in Tokyo, Yo Miles!, The Mahavishnu Project, Joe Zawinul: Zawinul (not his other records!), John Surman: Morning Glory, Nucleus, Soft Machine

just to name a few ...

Good Luck!

Im really glad someone here mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra

Feorel said:
Charles Mingus is, in my opinion, the greatest of all jazz composers and bassists.

Others:
Duke Ellington
Dave Brubeck (You have may heard his most famous song, "Take Five")
John Coltrane
Wes Montgomery
Dizzy Gillespie
Herbie Hancock
Thelonius Monk
Clifford Brown
Paul Desmond

Just a few. :)

Wes Montgomery !!!

It's old school, but definately worth a listen!

dave brubeck is a bit overrated, i think.

LOLOL TAKE FIVE LOL

everything else is just kinda bland to me. so many better pianists and composers out there.

I'm afraid I forgot to mention Terje Rypdal, perhaps more interestin stuff for Opeth fans, 'cause it seems to me to reflect loneliness, melancholy, evanescence (not the band!) in an psychedelic electric jazz/jazzrock idiom.

Tip: Odyssey, Whenever I Seem to Be Far away, Terje Rypdal

His newest release "Vossabrygg" has one long piece of about 18 min. in his mid-70s psychedelic jazzrock style, the others are d'n'b-influenced or more dreamy, jazzy

test it!