Jazz?

tynkkr said:
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend me some jazz-ish prog rock? I'm really not sure what I'm looking for (Devin Townsend's 'Bad Devil' comes to mind), but I've been curious about some jazz influenced prog for a while, and haven't been able to find too much on my own.

SHADOWFAX

some really fucked up jazzy prog rock at its best!

aziza mustafa zadeh - probably the greatest female jazz vocalist alive...great composer and pianist, too, from azerbaijan (think she lives in the states now, though?)

everyone of you should definitely listen to her "dance of fire" album...some great jazz musicians on that record

Jazzy prog-rock......get the Buckethead & Jonas Hellborg album. Acoustic jazz prog rock.

Charlie Hunter - dope. Get his first album, the self titled
Pat Metheny - lots of good stuff. Again, the first one, self-titled, is my favorite.
And if you like Bitches Brew, gotta get Miles Ahead.

Tapestry said:
Ok, to all of you who can decide weither a band is jazz-influenced or not... Are Dillinger Escape Plan jazz-influenced?

How would they be? In general, they play sheer cacophony with as much dissonance as possible and no real tonal direction, with basically random time sig changes and some guy roaring over the top. I don't think any of those things are "jazz."

Talking Meat said:
Jazzy prog-rock......get the Buckethead & Jonas Hellborg album. Acoustic jazz prog rock.

Charlie Hunter - dope. Get his first album, the self titled
Pat Metheny - lots of good stuff. Again, the first one, self-titled, is my favorite.
And if you like Bitches Brew, gotta get Miles Ahead.

Pat Metheny gets blasted for being "smooth jazz" pretty frequently, but I like a lot of his stuff. His early album with Jaco Pastorius, "Bright Size Life," is just great. I like a lot of the more recent stuff with his band, too, especially "Still Life (Talking)" and "Imaginary Day." "The Heat of the Day" off of "Imaginary Day" should appeal to prog junkies in particular.

His solo album "Secret Story" is another one of my favorites, weird world-music influenced stuff.

For more straight ahead gorgeous and fairly minimalist guitar work, get "Beyond the Missouri Sky" with Charlie Haden. And his soundtrack for "Map of the World" is amazing.

wankerness said:
For more straight ahead gorgeous and fairly minimalist guitar work, get "Beyond the Missouri Sky" with Charlie Haden.

I actually love that album, but figured it was one of the last things I'd recommend on an Opeth forum. :)

Message to a Friend and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress are two of the most beautiful songs ever.

Shit.

When I started this topic I thought i would get no posts at all. Seem I was wrong. I have checked out some of the stuff and I like it all this far.

Tribal Tech are a fantastic jazz fusion band who, I'm sure, would appeal to many of you here. They play a very muscular form of jazz rock, almost metallish in some places, prog rock in other places, with some very original and quirky passages. I'm very impressed with this band. Their instrumental work and compositional skills are out of this world. We are talking about jazz playing at the highest level here. The guitar playing and the bass, in particular, is incredible. But all of the musicians are constantly inspired.

Albums such as "Illicit", "Face First", "Tribal Tech", "Reality Check", "Nomad" and "Dr Hee" are all highly recommended.

Larsson said:
I have litened to Miles Davis lately and really like his music. The problem is I know next to nothing about the genre and wonder if anybody here have any recommendations.

Hi! Me, I listen to Jazz since 30 Years and have recognized Opeth last year, so I come from the other side. With regard to Miles, it depends on what you like of his music: cool, hard bop, modal jazz, the 60s free bop or the electric years 69-75, or the pop jazz abyss of the 90s ...

At first, nothing compares to Miles :), neither in acoustic nor electric Jazz (70s!), if you want informations about him, just ask, but I think you can listen to his CDs in every record store. Tipps: Kind of Blue, Round Midnight, ESP, Nefertiti, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew(!!!), Agharta
Other great records/artists you could try out:
acoustic Jazz: Anthony Braxton (abstract free jazz), John Coltrane (to talk about god), Modern Jazz Quartet (nice), Stan Getz (nice), Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, London Jazz Composers Otrchestra
electric Jazz/Jazz Rock: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miroslav Vitous (his first record), Weather Report Live in Tokyo, Yo Miles!, The Mahavishnu Project, Joe Zawinul: Zawinul (not his other records!), John Surman: Morning Glory, Nucleus, Soft Machine

just to name a few ...

Good Luck!

Larsson said:
I have litened to Miles Davis lately and really like his music. The problem is I know next to nothing about the genre and wonder if anybody here have any recommendations.

Hi! Me, I listen to Jazz since 30 Years and got to know Opeth last year, so I come from the other side. With regard to Miles, it depends on what you like of his music: cool, hard bop, modal jazz, the 60s free bop or the electric years 69-75, or the pop jazz abyss of the 90s ...

At first, nothing compares to Miles :), neither in acoustic nor electric Jazz (70s!), if you want informations about him, just ask, but I think you can listen to his CDs in every record store. Tipps: Kind of Blue, Round Midnight, ESP, Nefertiti, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew(!!!), Agharta
Other great records/artists you could try out:
acoustic Jazz: Anthony Braxton (abstract free jazz), John Coltrane (to talk about god), Modern Jazz Quartet (nice), Stan Getz (nice), Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, London Jazz Composers Orchestra
electric Jazz/Jazz Rock: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miroslav Vitous (his first record), Weather Report Live in Tokyo, Yo Miles!, The Mahavishnu Project, Joe Zawinul: Zawinul (not his other records!), John Surman: Morning Glory, Nucleus, Soft Machine

just to name a few ...

Good Luck!

wankerness said:
Where do you get jazz from that? I think people tend to label anything with weird chords in it "jazzy" when it really isn't in the least.
have you even heard "Synergy"? Listen to "Confessions of Inadequacy" and tell me those m7 and M7 chord progressions in the first verse along with Ole's vocal line aren't straight up jazz derived. I'm not saying the whole album is "jazz" but there can be no doubt that a lot of chords AND progressions they use are definitely jazz-influenced.

take a gander :cool:

Charlie Parker--sax player who set standards for Coltrane and Wayne Shorter. Can't go wrong with Miles Davis, I'd recommend "Dark Magus" evil,jazz-rock fusion. Robben Ford--blues guitarist, but also played Jazz with Miles. Excellent band-- Weather Report--start with "Heavy Weather" and If this trips your trigger go with "Mysterious Traveller" and "Black Market" A lot of great stuff to explore in this often underrated genre. Peace.