Jeff Loomis - the recording chronicles (2011)

talleyOHs.jpg
really should credit pics properly when you know where they came from, ;)

Hey Aaron, in that last clip you posted...is that a Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler i hear in there?

Funny you say that, since I do own that pedal, but it's actually just a couple patches from Omnisphere that we stacked and processed pretty heavily.

As for the farm sounds—there's an arpeggiated patch that sounds like farm animals (all those chirps and moos came from bowed acoustic sources), and since the arpeggiated stuff just syncs to the host tempo, it literally took like two seconds to make that part. Sounds hilarious though...

just tell us what amp he's going to use ;)
Because if you use the Axe-Fx there will be all those guys saying "oh yeah, sounds not that bad,
but with a real amp, it would have been soooooooooo much better!"

It doesn't really matter to me-I think you both are able to get awesome sounds out of the Axe-Fx
but I would be interested.

And a sample of that custom amp would be cool ;)

About the bass:
Due to all the technical stuff and the slapping, are you going to use a clean basssound?

I take this video as a hint to what will be used to capture the guitar sound on the album :D tact all over the place!

Hey Aaron, quick oddball Q for you. Im curious what kind of pick Loomis is using for recording with?

As well, any idea how many packs of strings he went through in recording this album?

:Spin:

Pretty much used these for almost everything: http://shop.jimdunlop.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=277&IID=873 He used something thinner and less sharp for most of the clean and acoustic stuff, though. Just something he had lying around.

We used a new set of strings for every song on the rhythms, and then for cleans I'd say we changed out the strings every two songs or so. Not every song has cleans though. Basically if the strings started to sound dead at all, we changed them.

just tell us what amp he's going to use ;)
Because if you use the Axe-Fx there will be all those guys saying "oh yeah, sounds not that bad,
but with a real amp, it would have been soooooooooo much better!"

It doesn't really matter to me-I think you both are able to get awesome sounds out of the Axe-Fx
but I would be interested.

And a sample of that custom amp would be cool ;)

About the bass:
Due to all the technical stuff and the slapping, are you going to use a clean basssound?

I actually don't know what amp will make the album. The Axe FX tracks sound pretty good, but I don't think they'll stand up to a real amp. I just don't like distorted amp sims for material that actually will see a release.

For the bass, I don't know the exact final tone recipe either, but you're right to assume that it probably won't be a terribly dirty tone. Something in between I think will be perfect—not too pristine and lifeless, but not too growly.

Oh yeah, and for cleans... Forgot to mention what we used.

Loomis Signature Schecter > Keeley Compressor (four knob) > Tech 21 "Character Series" Blonde > Radial DI > Joe Meek TwinQ > Crane Song HEDD

We tried several guitars he had around, passive and active pickups, each with new strings, and we both liked his signature guitar the best. Pickups were on the neck, but was dialed in to sound more like the bridge. Turned out excellent.

I've never seen anyone else on here, or actually met anyone at all, who has that Tech 21 Blonde pedal, but I really love it. I kind of just bought it on a whim when it first came out, because it seemed cool and Tech 21 has a way of making good sounding products. I have yet to use a Tech 21 product that I didn't like the sound of...

Also, forgot to mention, everything is done except for leads right now. We spent roughly the last two weeks programming MIDI (some new things, but mostly recreating a lot of his original ideas in better quality, with more care taken in the velocities, etc), and he's off to China for about two weeks now for another Schecter clinic tour. I'll probably start playing with drum mixing a bit and doing whatever else I can before he gets back, and we'll jump right into all the leads.