Jeff/Steve's Live setup

Jeebo

Dec 29, 2005
So what do you guys use for your live situations? Any suggestions as far as pedals to boost leads? I really love the lead tones on TGE and IRC, you guys used old tube screamers to boost, correct? I'm working on building up my pedal rig. I finally got my first solid piece (at least I think I do, hehe). After 10 years of playing, I decided to get a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah pedal and it's pretty sweet so far.

P.S. Steve, have you tried Jeff's new signature Schecter yet? That thing looks really badass. Can't wait till the stores around here get them in!

Hey Jeebo,

As for my live set up, it has been Krank Krankenstein heads and cabs, my Warlock7 and/or Ignitor7, and another Warlock7 for backup, this one being a Platinum series, with EMG 81-7 and 707 combo thrown in there.

The only effects I use are the Digitech Whammy pedal(reissue), the X Series Chorus, and Tone Driver(for a lead boost), as well as a Boss tuner(forget which one it is).

As for Jeff, I forget, but it's mostly been the same as me for head/cab, Schecter guitars, 707's in all, the X Series Chorus and Tone Driver pedals, as far back as I can remember. He may have changed it at some point last year, dunno.....

In the studio, yes we used the old Maxon Tube Screamer that Andy Sneap had, along with a Krank Rev Head, and a Mesa Dual Rec., running through a Recto cab with vintage 30's. But that was used for rhythm playing, as an enhancement for the tone purely.

The Tone Driver from Digitech does the same thing in a live situation, but, of course, you can put a little extra drive on there if you want, or just boost the level.

Hope that helps man!:headbang:

Do you use a lot of drive on the boost pedal (where the harsh highs get cut more as gain increases) or leave most of it to the amp?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I prefer leaving it mostly to the amp, and having a little bit of gain, somewhere around 9-10 o'clock, level at 12, tone about 11, and the morphing selection usually up at 12, on the Tone Driver. The amp's gain is set around 1-2 o'clock for rhythm playing.

The only effects I use are the Digitech Whammy pedal(reissue), the X Series Chorus, and Tone Driver(for a lead boost), as well as a Boss tuner(forget which one it is).

Thats it...No delay? or any other shit just chorus, whammy & tone driver?

Do you use the chorus on your solos?

What pedal is it. Mulit chorus or chorus factory?

Thats it...No delay? or any other shit just chorus, whammy & tone driver?

Do you use the chorus on your solos?

What pedal is it. Mulit chorus or chorus factory?

Pretty much it carvedones, and if I were to use a delay, it would be the Digi Delay from Digitech.

The chorus is the Multi-Chorus, and no, only on clean tone stuff, not on leads.:headbang:

Wow. I would have thought you'd have delay in ya solos. Either way i love your sound and your playing.

Wow. I would have thought you'd have delay in ya solos. Either way i love your sound and your playing.

Yes, I used to do that, but usually, we'll depend on the soundman to do that from front of house, live. Most people do, unless there's a specific effect trying to be achieved, and usually that's a rhythm guitar thing. Hope that helps!:headbang: :headbang:

Hmm, would you be interested in trying out some hand-built nonsensical strangeness? I build stuff for my own amusement and one-off effects will make anyone's rig look more badass just because...

Jeff

Thanks Steve. I love the sound you and Jeff get, so i am re-setting my rig up (Only just moving back over to guitar after a couple years stint on drums). Im not going for an exact copy, but am after the crispness and heavyness you guys have. I was a marshall and boss effects board user. But now im after different sounds than that. I dont want an effects board so im going stomp boxes.

My gear so far :
AMPS :
Crate BV100H
Yamaha G100 2x12

EFFECTS :
Digitech Whammy pedal
Digitech MM4 Metal Machine (Rack)
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Marshall Shred Master
Digitech X Series Tone Driver

GUITARS :
Kramer 620
Schecter 7 String
Custom Flying V (Getting build)
Charvel Strat
Ibanez SR300 Bass

Looking at getting a delay and chorus.

Hopefully the crate will be an ok amp (getting it today) i got it cheap so it will have to do for awhile until i can get and Engl, Krank or Randall...

I have a Crate myself, although not that one, and the only warning I can give is that you're not getting a Marshall or a Mesa or a Peavey sound out of it. Crates have their own sound, and it's a great sound - the problem comes when people expect Crates to sound like Mark IVs or 800s.

Jeff

JBroll
Thats what im after. I dont want a marshall sound. Everyone around here has marshalls and i want to sound different to them. I plan to use mostly amp gain instead of the metalzone (everyone uses these also). I just feel its time for me to move on and find my own sound so to speak.

I just hope this amp will do it. If not i will shop around when i get some money.

You'll enjoy it. On the Sneap forum I posted some samples of how I got mine to sound - it's exactly what I'm after and I'm glad to have found it. Drop the distortion boxes - if anything, use a TS to tighten the lows like a lot of the studios do - and just spend time tweaking.

Jeff

I will be dropping the metalzone. I plan on getting a Digitech X Series Tone Driver. I might get one today.

Personally I have had great success with the Boss DS1 Distortion driving the Blue Voodoo 120. The Ibanez or Maxthon 808's sound great in the front of the BV120 aswell.

The DS1 adds some upper mids that the amp lacks in my opinion.

Personally I have had great success with the Boss DS1 Distortion driving the Blue Voodoo 120. The Ibanez or Maxthon 808's sound great in the front of the BV120 aswell.

The DS1 adds some upper mids that the amp lacks in my opinion.

Damn i did buy a tone driver (ebay). How will this work?

You'll enjoy it. On the Sneap forum I posted some samples of how I got mine to sound - it's exactly what I'm after and I'm glad to have found it. Drop the distortion boxes - if anything, use a TS to tighten the lows like a lot of the studios do - and just spend time tweaking.

Jeff

Hey Jeff i had a look around and couidnt find the samples.

Off topic a bit...

I just bought a behringer quad (only got it as i dont have one anymore and i got it for $100) I know these a shit. but i plan to put descent speakers in it. So how much of an impact does the box contribute to the sound. Will this make it a good sounding box?

Also what tubes should i look at getting. I have been told EH el34's sound great in blue voodoos.

The cabinet is incredibly important. I'd keep that as a backup and get an Avatar cabinet with V30s - I wouldn't expect to need anything more than a 2x12 until you have to start playing very large gigs. EH tubes are good, but I use Tesla 12AX7s in my tube preamp equipment and I'd recommend those.

The tone driver will work fine, a DS-1 is more suitable as a lead boost than as a rhythm tightener. You'll be fine.

For the clips, scroll down to post 36 of

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/294470-phasing-wha.html?highlight=phasing...

and skip to 0:56 in the clip. That's what I pull out of a Crate XT120R, and I can easily say that I don't feel a need for anything else right now. I don't normally use that much bass (the clips I merged weren't meant to be treated as they were, so the clip is a bit bassy), but apart from that it's what I go for.

Jeff