Jeff/Steve's Live setup

There's going to be a fixed-bridge version of the Loomis sig, right? I already have one Floyd-equipped guitar where I have to stretch that 70 out for days, I like the look and sound but I'm pretty sure I should pass on the vibrato system...

Jeff

JBroll...
That clip was cool. Thanks. Well been playing with the Crate all morning.
Settings i like :
Presence - 1.5
Volume - 2.5 (for home use still pretty loud though)
Low - 8.5
Mid - 1.5
High - 6
Gain - 7

Its great. Im real happy with the tone im getting and the sound is great to play to slayer testament...

I also found that i need to pick harder to get the correct sound. I used to play lightly with fender 346 picks but now im using fender 1mm teardrops and they work heaps better. I get nice crunch, the sound stays clean and a more defined solo. the notes standout better instead of being more of a jummble.

Try Tortex picks. Steve uses the green ones, Jeff uses the 1.5mm Sharpies. I have to admit that I'm hooked on those Sharpies as well, but I'll still use a thick 'normal-shaped' pick (usually no thinner than 1.14) if I have to. I slam the shit out strings too, and I think it shows.

Jeff

Yeah it took getting a tube amp to really show the floors in my picking. Metalzones hide to much of your true playing.

The Metalzone is just not as good for that because it's not there to be clear - it's compressed as hell and designed to make you think you're better than you really are. If you're seeing more like that, also try practicing on a clean channel and the neck pickup to see how consistent you can be and how well you can articulate faster runs without gain to smooth your playing over. Should probably stop here, though, as technique and gear warrant a different thread.

Jeff

I have to say, I love Steve's board, just for posts like this. No flaming, no bullshit, just musician's talking best practices.

Keep it up Steve and all who post here! :headbang: :headbang:

steve also uses black tortex picks. With my strings dr .10s in E standard, they don't seem to sound very metalish. I like the nevermore picks for acoustic strumming. For my metal I like the concave jim dunlops 2mms. They are thick and also very tough, they don't bend, and don't get that worn out. With them i have much more control when it comes to playing songs like master of puppets for instance with lots of downpicking, or sepultura songs (slave new world, territory). The sound i get is much tighter than with both the black steve smyth signature picks, with less hiss in my setup (shit guitar+shit vox amp).

Hey Jeebo,

As for my live set up, it has been Krank Krankenstein heads and cabs, my Warlock7 and/or Ignitor7, and another Warlock7 for backup, this one being a Platinum series, with EMG 81-7 and 707 combo thrown in there.

Steve. Can you tell me the difference between the 81-7 and the 707. Like why you choose the 81-7 over the 707 in the bridge position.

Just got a new 7 string and want to put some emg's in it, but not sure what one.

Steve. Can you tell me the difference between the 81-7 and the 707. Like why you choose the 81-7 over the 707 in the bridge position.

Just got a new 7 string and want to put some emg's in it, but not sure what one.

Hey carvedones,

Well, the 81-7 is the 7 string version of the 81, the 707 is the 7 string version of the 85, so it's like the classic EMG set up for a 6 string, only for 7's!
The main reason why I put those in the bridge was to get that sound back, as I really don't like the 707 sound in the bridge, it's a little on the dull side to me, and I like that bite of the 81-7 a little more. Hope that helps!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

They (EDIT: The Blackouts for 7-strings) will be released in the next few months.

Carvedones, you'll likely need to route your guitar (i.e. take a chunk of wood out around the pickups) because EMGs are much larger than 'normal' pickups - this is one reason why more people aren't using 7-string actives. The Blackouts will come in 'normal' size and EMG size, if you want to hold out.

707 is more like the 85, 81-7 is more like the 81, so the reason for choosing 81-7 over 707 is the same as the reason for choosing 81 over 85 - hopefully that's a usable reference. (EDIT: Steve beat me to it.)

Jeff

Thanks Steve & Jbroll.

I thought the 707 was similar to the 85. Looks like it will be a 81-7. I like 81s in the bridge.

What do you think these "blackouts" will be like?

They (EDIT: The Blackouts for 7-strings) will be released in the next few months.

Carvedones, you'll likely need to route your guitar (i.e. take a chunk of wood out around the pickups) because EMGs are much larger than 'normal' pickups - this is one reason why more people aren't using 7-string actives. The Blackouts will come in 'normal' size and EMG size, if you want to hold out.

707 is more like the 85, 81-7 is more like the 81, so the reason for choosing 81-7 over 707 is the same as the reason for choosing 81 over 85 - hopefully that's a usable reference. (EDIT: Steve beat me to it.)

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Also of note regarding the routing; it's not enough to make any tonal difference whatsoever. I had it done on my Ignitor, and also an ESP I was using at the time of tracking TGE, and there was no tonal loss at all. Andy Sneap even put a little bit of caulking in there, to help raise 'em up a little bit, which really helped out a lot as well.

I just got my Washburn 7 routed and filled in with liquid wood to fit in a 707. I hope it works out. The guy who did it says it sounds good. I pick it up tonight!

:headbang: :headbang:

Right on GGI. Actually, I think that is what Andy used on mine as well, some form of it any way. Been a while, can't remember exactly. Hope your guitar sounds good to you when you get it! I don't think any slight routing will make a big difference in tonal quality, unless you have the hearing range of a dog!:lol: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hey Jeff,

Also of note regarding the routing; it's not enough to make any tonal difference whatsoever. I had it done on my Ignitor, and also an ESP I was using at the time of tracking TGE, and there was no tonal loss at all. Andy Sneap even put a little bit of caulking in there, to help raise 'em up a little bit, which really helped out a lot as well.

However, it is not easy to undo if you don't want EMGs any more and it's not the most fun thing to do when you are installing them. I've routed guitars for other gizmos (built-in preamps, stuff like that) and I wouldn't recommend it. It's no huge deal, but it's annoying.

Now, about that caulking... does Sneap do that often? Could arbitrary injections of sealant be the secret to his godly (godless?) tones? I am now interested.

Jeff

Sorry to put this in here. But, i cant seem to get the digitech delay set for good solos. it either has to much or not enough. Can anyone with this pedal help me out with there settings?