Jumping off Joey's PT upgrade thread...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
What do you guys think of Pro Tools M Powered?

I currently have Nuendo 2 and 3, and a Profire 2626.

I'm by no means "big time", but I do a lot of mixing/mastering sessions for outside bands. Usually these are tracked in studios on PTHD rigs. I've never encountered a problem with working with the studio to get the tracks to me in a way I can just import into Nuendo, so that's not an issue so much.

However, it would be nice for them to work with me on an easier level by allowing me to just import the PT session into M powered.

WOuld this be possible going from an HD session to MP? This would be just tracks, no plugins or anything...Just the track data (volume, pan, etc.) and the actual wav itself.

If so, for 250, I think it's a worthy investment.

Should I find it easier to work with overall, I'd make the full switch the PTMP...Is it worth it to you guys?

I don't know enough about the PT differences (LE, MP, HD, etc.) to gain a "real world" idea on whether or not MP is a good "go between" for transitioning between Cubendo and PTHD.

Also, I've found a nice comparison chart for Steinberg's DAW products in the past, which was a great way to quickly compare specs for their systems.

Does Digidesign (or any of it's users) have this type of comparison chart? Looking at Digidesign's site, you can cehck each of the PT programs out on their own page, but it doesn't line them up spec by spec.

I think it's a good investment. You already have the profire so it's only 250.
I find PT M-powered a very good daw, the editings are awesome with it and I like it very much.

And just to be clear, the PT website says it's only 32 audio tracks...So this does NOT include group or FX tracks, correct?

I can do with only 32 audio tracks, but I generally have 12-20 group and/or fx tracks on a mix.

EDIT

DOH, it says 32 SIMULTANEOUS audio tracks, so this would be related to tracking, NOT mixing.

yes....i think there's a plugin delay compensation effect you can load or something, but i'd guess it's still a PITA.

seems like MP/LE are really just good for editing stuff, plus it's a rather cheap way to get used to the PT workflow, but i kinda doubt that anyone could do a full blown project with LE/MP alone....

After reading some of the replies in this thread and reading up on Digi's site, you may be correct I suppose. Of course for someone (like myself) who has never used PTHD, it may not be as big a deal. Limiting track count is my first concern, ADC now is another.

I suppose if I used it purely as a go between and in editing, 250 still is a pittance if it did open some doors.

But I don't really feel like I have a hard time editing in Nuendo currently. Of course, once I get PTMP, my mind could change.

It depends on which plugin you use.
I have no problem at all with the ADC. And if you have a delay, there is time adjusting.
Kaomao works with PT LE and he does albums working with it.

You wont be able to get the buffer size lower than 128 - lame. Other than that, M-Powered is decent.

With my current setup, that is completely a non issue. I can track, punch, do whatever with the buffer a 4096 without any problems at all...I'd hope that'd extend to PTMP as well, but who knows.

VST wrappers work with PTMP,too, right? So I wouldn't be completely SOL with the 200 or so plugins I have now should I choose to do more than just tracking with PTMP?

impossible is a bad word.........just find out what the latency of each track is with a test click and do your own manual delay compensation

Impossible, no
Annoying and retardedly slow and laborious, yes