I wanna switch to Pro Tools

Hey guys,

How are the converters on the 003? I'm considering using a local project studio for some tracking and it's a choice between 003 converters, octopre converters and rme converters (I think fireface 800s or octamic or something).

Hi James, do you have some advice for my situation (and undecision)? If you want, answer with PM (I wrote you a pm some week ago and you can find all the details there) :)

Thanks James. I don't think he even has the RME patched in. Will have to have a chat to him about it. No independent master clocking unit AFAIK, so that's a bit of an iffy proposition too. I think the 003 sets it.

well you can use the RME, via lightpipe into the 003, and set the 003 to take sync from it's lightpipe in, so the RME will be your sync source.

just out of curiosity if you had top notch converters but no pt. like apogee ad/da 16x or lynx aurora or prisms something like that but wanted to use PT LE could you bypsss the converters on the 003 or any LE interface and still use PT LE as the host DAW???

i know that for HD users apogee has x-hd cards and i think lynx has HD cards as well so you don't need the 192ios or any of the digi hd converters but could this be done with PT LE as well???

ps - please don't respond with "if you can afford apogees you can afford a hd card/rig" because this is just hypothetical. just trying to see how PT LE works as far as the interfaces goes.

Couldn't you just go ADAT from your converter to the ADAT In of the 003? You'd be limited to 8 channels at 44.1kHz since there's only 1 ADAT In on the 003.

I'm also thinking about moving from Nuendo 4 to PT8LE (for some reasons that will make a long posting), but my advice: Steer away from HD at this moment. The big problem with PT is their current lack of PDC, strange, cos its really simple to implement (in LE).

The reason I can see is the HD cards beeing outdated in terms of available onboard memory, not able to create enough big buffers to handle all the plugin latency.

Digi ofcourse knows this, so doesn't include PDC in LE alone, cos the HD sales would fall and seriously harm the HD rep.

So they will build new HDcards in the near future, with enough onboard memory to handle long convolution reverbs and FFT eq's. Maybe even AIR sample-based instruments running straight from HD DSP's... That would absolute kill everything available, DDR2 is dirt cheap anyways.

But those cards aren't here yet, and the call for PDC becomes so loud Digi can't wait that long with a new HD solution.

Stick with LE for now, upgrade to HD in the near future, let Digi iron things out first.