I wanna switch to Pro Tools

As someone who uses it everyday; I'd say go for the 003 Without the extra Pres and without The control surface....

Later on You'll add some nice pres, and you sure dont wanna be running them through the digi pres as well!.

The control surface version is mint, BUT
You end up with wires fucking everywhere, and it looks a mess.

Get the rack and a command 8.

Id hold off on HD for a bit
Its a huge investment to make, and if you end up not digging Pro Tools You'll be in deep financial doo doo

to be honest oz, they way computers are at the moment, id pick up a 003, music production toolkit and run your RME into that.

With pro tools 8 and the toolkits, HD is begining to look REALLY overpriced.
Not to say that there arent those who will always need it; and If im being honest I'd rather be on HD for ADC, (even though you can get around this witht the mellowmuse ATA) and the added stability (not that LE has given me any beef that digi hasnt released a CS update to fix) But then again im running a MACpro here... soooooo

with the eventual release of PT 8 and the fact the LE verison will soon go up to 128 audio tracks then le is cool, however to get the 128 tracks, you'll have to fork out around £1600 for the advanced package! which makes PT HD seem like a better option, due to the processing power of the core cards. theres only so much i like lettinng my computer deal with regarding processing.

but if your comp is a quad core beast, the LE version will be great, my only concern is that i think 16 inputs at once is all you can have! :/

My advice: don't.

Cubase FTW.

+1000000 Best advise ever.

I own ProTools and I always struggled with it. Still not having VST support natively blows my mind, not to mention the midi implementation in PT is not nearly as user friendly as in other software.

I'm not saying Cubase is the best, but it's far more friendly to the smaller studio user than PT is especially if you plan on using any kind of virtual instrument.
bullshit. plain and simple. in fact, with PT8 and the MP toolkit i think it's going to knock you up to 128 tracks allowed... so... i've rarely used that many even in HD... rarely ever. PT is far better for editing audio than cubase, period. and the mdid has been awesome in PT since 7.3... and 8 pushes MIDI over the top. feel good about your choice XES... ignore those who have made a different choice. i've known Kazrog for years, and love him like a bro... but he's blowing smoke up your ass right now by advising you not to change. sorry MTE, but "best advise ever"? hardly. you two guys use whatever you want, but XES has made up his mind and just wants help with the transition, not nay-sayers.

xes, i'll answer your PM soon and help guide you along with your transistion. you'll be happy.... and you'll develop editing skills that will increase your employability about 1000 fold.

I've been going back and forth with going ProTools for a good while now, and even though I've always been kinda pissed off about the PT hype, I've finally come to a conclusion that it's a change I've got to do in the near future. Partially because of Murphy's succesful brainwashing :)D), partially because of the fact that the school I'm going to in January uses mainly PT but most of all the fact that it's the industry standard software no matter how you look at it. If I'm going to make a career out of my hobby, I really can't ignore how widely used PT is.

After considering my options (and my budget), I think I'm getting an M-Audio Profire 2626. But there are a couple of things that still boggle me. First of all, there will be an M-Powered 8 that has the same features (raised track limit etc.) as LE 8, right? And second, I've seen lots of banter about the lack of ADC. I'd like to hear from some of the users of either LE or M-Powered if it really is that much of a problem. I mix mostly ITB.

Thanks for your help and sorry for a bit of a thread hijack, but I think the OP might get something useful out of the answers, too :)

bullshit. plain and simple. in fact, with PT8 and the MP toolkit i think it's going to knock you up to 128 tracks allowed... so... i've rarely used that many even in HD... rarely ever. PT is far better for editing audio than cubase, period. and the mdid has been awesome in PT since 7.3... and 8 pushes MIDI over the top. feel good about your choice XES... ignore those who have made a different choice. i've known Kazrog for years, and love him like a bro... but he's blowing smoke upo your ass right now. sorry MTE, but "best advise ever"? hardly. you two guys use whatever you want, but XES has made up his mind and just wants help with the transition, not nay-sayers.

xes, i'll answer your PM soon and help guide you along with your transistion. you'll be happy.... and you'll develop editing skills that will increase your employability about 1000 fold.

Wow, Epic Post!!

But Definatly Some good points in there.

Something I always come to the conclusion is that The software dont matter at all. Thats just personal accessibility and comfort aye.

If ur still happy with the sound, the mix, the job, the cash (hehe), thats all that matters.

As vague as this is, The whole Software debate is a bit stupid, whatever works for you.

Hope You find what your looking for XES

Thank you for your answer.
Actually I'm searching the right software...Logic is cool but some "features" are a pain in the ass to work with

p.s.
James I wait you answer...thank you very much

So how much is the MP toolkit, anyway? Isn't it like an extra $600 or something ridiculous? That's quite a premium just to bring it up to the level of EVERY OTHER DAW OUT THERE, but I guess that's the price you pay for using the "industry standard" (not maligning anything about the program itself, just digidesign)

That's quite a premium just to bring it up to the level of EVERY OTHER DAW OUT THERE

But yet, it doesn't. :(

Sorry James cubase still shits all over pro tools in regards to midi.

I agree completely, but I can understand if someone becomes use to working in a shitty environment, and that's all they know, that they may find anything else (be it a vast improvement or not) uncomfortable.

Sorry James cubase still shits all over pro tools in regards to midi.
first of all, i clearly said that pro tools had "stepped it up" and was going even further with v.8... not that it was better than cubase or anything else with midi.. however, i'd love for you to explain me one thing... just one, that you can do with midi in Cubase that you can't do in PT. let's hear it...

I agree completely, but I can understand if someone becomes use to working in a shitty environment, and that's all they know, that they may find anything else (be it a vast improvement or not) uncomfortable.
so PT is a "shitty environment"? is that what you're saying? and i'm just some dumb douche who "don't know no better"?... lol... wow, just.... wow.

ftr, i have used Cubase and Nuendo both, the former for over a year, and i used DP for longer than i've used Pro Tools so far. nevermind that i'm a working pro who knows or has met a great many of the other working pros working in harder music styles personally... i guess they are all just dummies that are used to working with shitty software too.... yeah, you're right... Cubase FTW then... i guess i stand corrected. carry on wit yo bad self.

James you always were a talentless hack ... I'm glad someone finally called you out :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

MTE's ass is gonna look like the Stargate by the time you're done with it :D

I wish I had a beer right now

and i'm just some dumb douche who "don't know no better"?

Now you're just putting words in my mouth... But if the shoe fits. ;)

So... I must be the dumb shit that has no experience then? Right? Like I already stated, I used Pro Tools for years before finally seeing the light and changing to Cubase. I've been a working musician for years and I've recorded in studios all over America but do any of us need to post our resume's to post on this forum and have our opinion mean anything? No. That's all any of this is, our personal opinions. If you love Pro Tools, that's great. I'm never going back to it. Simple as that.

good.

now how did any of this help xes with his switch?

anyway, nice attempt to turn the tables, but you made a clear insinuation... SV caught it as well and commented. i don't care what you use, carry on with it.... but yes, some people's opinions carry more weight than others... to anyone who actually wants to learn anything. otherwise we'd all hold The Fyn's ramblings in the same regard with which we hold Andy's opinions. if that's how you roll, well good for you, do let us know how that works out for you ;)

You can do everything the same in both apps. I find cubase to be easier. I know you said the drum editor window wasn't to your liking but I love it. Now that pro tools 8 has the velocity stuff as well as the ability to see automation at the same time as wav form, yeah it's quite the step up in features.

Easier = shits all over pro tools to me :)lol:).

But like I said a big plus 1 to everything else you said.

For what it's worth, I'm upgrading to ptle 8. I'm still using cubase SL3.

Pro tools for the win.

So how much is the MP toolkit, anyway? Isn't it like an extra $600 or something ridiculous? That's quite a premium just to bring it up to the level of EVERY OTHER DAW OUT THERE, but I guess that's the price you pay for using the "industry standard" (not maligning anything about the program itself, just digidesign)

yea, but if you think about it...as gay as it is to dish out more $$ for more tracks in PT, you can also make that back by doing a single project, and god knows it's easier to find work if you know PT in and out

yea, but if you think about it...as gay as it is to dish out more $$ for more tracks in PT, you can also make that back by doing a single project, and god knows it's easier to find work if you know PT in and out

thats a really good point. I dunno about you guys, Im just doing small projects for people but sometimes i get to carried away with the cost of things and forget what its doing in return. Now Im no shit hot producer, merely a guy that earns a few bucks for knocking out an ok mix, so its not much money. Still it makes a difference. My last project got me new monitors :D

My first post was somewhat out of line and intended with some implied subtle humour.

James is right, Pro Tools can do almost anything with MIDI that Cubase can, as of Pro Tools 7.3. I just find that Cubase is way easier to use for MIDI, particularly because of the drum editor (indispensable for my workflow.) Cubase is also much easier to work with if you are doing music that has lots of tempo and time signature changes. Again, Pro Tools handles all this stuff well, just not as effortlessly.

Also, I find audio editing in Cubase to be just as fast and easy as it is in Pro Tools. You get way more bang for your buck with Cubase than any other program in terms of pure power and speed. Its mix engine (the Nuendo audio engine) is incredible, arguably better than Pro Tools HD for summing.

That aside, Pro Tools HD is the industry standard, it's very stable and built to run for days on end if you keep your machine dedicated to it and don't run any OS updates until Digidesign approves them. It may not have as many features as the competition, but the trade off is a stable platform and industry-standard compatibility.