Kansas City Power Metal Fest - date and first 3 bands announced

To be honest I dont know how well any of the bands that are booked will draw. I am just hoping people will show up for the Metal Fest atmosphere since KC hasnt had something like this in FOREVER. I plan on street teaming the FUCK out of this fest, it has to succeed or at least not lose that much money the first year.

Unfortunately, you might be right...we really don't know how well any of the bands will draw aside from Manilla Road, since Wichita is only a 4-hour drive away from Kansas City and the singer's from KC himself. We're hoping they'll bring quite a few people in the doors, and we've got a very good feeling about it.

Regardless of whether the draw is amazing or shit, we feel like it's important to put something like this on. There is no "metal scene" in Kansas City to speak of, just a bunch of generic bands who play the same bars every weekend to their same scenester friends. Nobody actually gives a shit about metal in KC, it seems. It's all about being seen. That's bullshit...that's not what metal's about.

We are hoping that we can turn things around in this area and start bringing bands here that normally avoid the area. If this thing goes over well, that will be a great start. My better half and I have started a promotions company and we're trying to do the same thing-bring bands here that Midwesterners would normally not get the chance to see. I think there's a market for it, but there's really been nothing worthwhile coming through (aside from a few great shows here and there). People are afraid to come out or just don't give a crap about the local bands. I can't blame them.

This is disjointed as hell and I apologize...I'm hungover this morning. :zombie:

Manilla Road drew 50 people in Chicago. At a very well known venue too. Hopefully they draw for you guys.

I think you are doing a cool thing with trying to attract bands to come out and play. That is what is needed to be done to get attention to your town. The whole local band thing is always funny. In my opinion....it is basically a huge circle jerk. Most local bands all support each other up front....behind thier backs they all crack on each other and are jealous over each other. Most local shows with all local acts just end up being, other bands and friends of the bands. All who of course will give a great reaction back to be nice. Thus making most local bands think they are actually good and then are heartbroken when a real crowd doesnt like them.
I have heard so many local acts slamming each other and then on message boards or in person are all buddy buddy and stuff. A scene isnt about just the local acts. It is about the people more than anything else.

hopefully things will work for you guys.

Unfortunately, you might be right...we really don't know how well any of the bands will draw aside from Manilla Road, since Wichita is only a 4-hour drive away from Kansas City and the singer's from KC himself. We're hoping they'll bring quite a few people in the doors, and we've got a very good feeling about it.

Regardless of whether the draw is amazing or shit, we feel like it's important to put something like this on. There is no "metal scene" in Kansas City to speak of, just a bunch of generic bands who play the same bars every weekend to their same scenester friends. Nobody actually gives a shit about metal in KC, it seems. It's all about being seen. That's bullshit...that's not what metal's about.

We are hoping that we can turn things around in this area and start bringing bands here that normally avoid the area. If this thing goes over well, that will be a great start. My better half and I have started a promotions company and we're trying to do the same thing-bring bands here that Midwesterners would normally not get the chance to see. I think there's a market for it, but there's really been nothing worthwhile coming through (aside from a few great shows here and there). People are afraid to come out or just don't give a crap about the local bands. I can't blame them.

All good points. There really aren't many places for metal bands to play and when they do play, it doesn't get much promotion.

Yeah, the epic power metal scene is a joke now. Panzer gets barely any recognition and they are probaly the front runner for the subgenre..

This is disjointed as hell and I apologize...I'm hungover this morning. :zombie:

Couldnt have said it better myself. I am working on starting something, but I am waiting for my partner the one with the money finishes these construction jobs. Then things could get really interesting around these parts.

Also Jodi as you know anything I can do to help let me know.

So.......any announcements?

Also, were you ever able to find out if Mark Shelton will be fronting Manilla Road?
Hellroadie fronted them at KEEP IT TRUE a week ago or so...

I know one of the final bands and it is a great selection to say the least. Regarding Manilla Road's performance, you got me stumped. I assume whatever members still live in Kansas will be playing.

Well, that's the thing with Manilla Road.
Sometimes Shelton fronts, and other times Hellroadie does.

It will be killer either way, but let's be honest.

EVERYONE would rather see Shelton front the band live.

Shelton sang for KIT X, atleast according to the flyer

Well, the flyer is wrong. I have read multiple reviews and seen enough photos which prove that Hellroadie fronted this show. Maybe they did split duties on vocals?

Its weird, because, to the best of my knowledge, Hellroadie has only recorded back up vocals on their studio work.

Shelton is THE voice of Manilla Road.
It would be like going to see Motorhead, and Lemmy still plays bass, but they use someone else to "front" the band.

So.......any announcements?

Also, were you ever able to find out if Mark Shelton will be fronting Manilla Road?
Hellroadie fronted them at KEEP IT TRUE a week ago or so...

I'll have to get back to you on Shelton.

Announcements...hmm?

Leatherwolf has also been confirmed for Friday's portion of the fest.

Lineup so far:

Friday, August 8th
CAGE
LEATHERWOLF
PHANTOM-X
SEVENTH CALLING

Saturday, August 9th
MANILLA ROAD
TWELFTH GATE
WIDOW
SACRED DAWN
ANCIENT CREATION
A LOWER DEEP

The Arret Zone is the opening band for Friday night, they will kick the festival off, as for Manilla Road, I've been talking to Bryan "Hellroadie" and he's doing the KCPMF, he has family in Kansas City... Leatherwolf is looking forward to doing the show, they have brought back Mike as the frontman and are doing the 3 guitar attack !!!

3 guitarists, a singer, a bassist, and a drummer on The Riot Room stage? I dont think so one guitar player will have to stand on my shoulders.

The Arret Zone, huh? Never heard of them, are you going to be adding any other bands or is this the finalized lineup?

Edit: WHOA!!! THE ARRET ZONE?!?!? Another huge surprise. I think I need contact these guys.

I was just checking out their myspace and it looks like Vicious Rumors has been added to their friends list. The only bands they have in their friends list are the bands playing and the last time they had one in their friends list that was announced to play was Cage. I think it would be really sweet if VR played as well. Although if Leatherwolf is already co-headlining with Cage, I wouldnt think that VR would be below both of those bands.

SPECULATION + ANTICIPATION = MADNESS