Kansas City Power Metal Fest

jason u head to alehorn?? how was Trouble?

No, I was unable to make it.
I heard only 100 people showed up, and maybe about half that by the time TROUBLE hit the stage.

With the loss of Eric on vocals and Jeff on drums, my interest in seeing Trouble live again has diminished greatly, as much as it pains me to say so.

I heard Pharoah were the band of the evening.

I thought the show went incredibly well (but I might be a little biased). No major issues, the bands were all great, and everyone was very cool to hang out and work with. Highlights of the fest for me were Widow and Manilla Road (although I was so tired by the end of Saturday night that I could barely stay awake). Chilling at the hotel with members of Sacred Dawn, Twelfth Gate and Widow after the show was also cool...those guys are all crazy. Ian probably has more interesting stories than I do, though...

The attendance was decent; there were more at the venue on Friday than Saturday. There definitely should have been more there for Manilla Road on Saturday night, but we were competing against Origin/Misery Index that night, along with other shows around the area. Nonetheless, still a great start to what will *hopefully* become a KC tradition and will continue to grow throughout the years. :kickass:

I thought the show went incredibly well (but I might be a little biased). No major issues, the bands were all great, and everyone was very cool to hang out and work with. Highlights of the fest for me were Widow and Manilla Road (although I was so tired by the end of Saturday night that I could barely stay awake). Chilling at the hotel with members of Sacred Dawn, Twelfth Gate and Widow after the show was also cool...those guys are all crazy. Ian probably has more interesting stories than I do, though...

The attendance was decent; there were more at the venue on Friday than Saturday. There definitely should have been more there for Manilla Road on Saturday night, but we were competing against Origin/Misery Index that night, along with other shows around the area. Nonetheless, still a great start to what will *hopefully* become a KC tradition and will continue to grow throughout the years. :kickass:

Manila Road isnt the draw everyone thinks they are...at Alehorn a few years back they played in front of abuot 50 people...that is being generous. The Alehorn this year...the same saturday as your show was equally low in attendence....for Icarus Witch, Pharaoh, Trouble and Slough Feg.....maybe 80 people there. sad.

I don't get it...these bands deserve more people in the audience. Why the hell don't they just show up? Oh well...there's always next year to try again.

I all honesty.....it is impossible to figure out why certain shows just dont do well. My big detourance is too many smaller local acts. When fest fill most of the roster with locals from all over the country that cant draw in thier own town, they are not going to draw out of town. Sure it is cheaper to get those bands but in the long run you have a long day of mediocre acts playing...that makes a long day for anyone in the venue.

Getting classic bands or bands that reunited for a fest may sound like a great idea but in reality...most people who are into metal now and are traveling to these shows either never heard of these acts or are not interested...they want the younger newer bands. Plus if some bands CD's are not readily available to buy before the show, it is kind of a turn off since new people wont really know any of the songs.

Another reason...there are just too many fest now a days...not that it is a bad thing. The thing that makes them special is gone. Asides for ProgPower which is an event every year with added surprised and solid line ups...most fest are just longer shows with more acts packed in with nothing special to make it stand out from any other show. Having a band do a special acoustic set or play a classic album straight through is something that would make it stand out from the rest.

Another thing is that lots of tours are happening more and more so the one off fest are having a harder time to get bands that would draw them in. Without deep pockets...that is tough for anyone trying to get this going. I give you credit for doing this. It is such a gamble.

Dont believe internet hype ever......if people are raving about a band..say Manilla Road....just because 10 guys are talking about them saying they will draw huge. It isnt always that way. At the first Alehorn it was Slough Feg and Manilla Road together...at that time both bands rarely played and it was the buzz of the week online about that show. When the day of the show came...no one came out. Kind of that, well it is far aways so I will say I am going but as it gets closer...I have something better to do syndrome.

glad you had fun and hope it works out for you next year.

Glad to hear it went well for ya.

Sorry, but I need to ask a selfish question here.

How were Manilla Road? Not sure how familiar you are with them, but could you post their set list? Also, what was their lineup? Did Shelton sing, or Hell Roadie?