Kansas City Power Metal Fest 2009

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=117098

MANILLA ROAD and AVENGER OF BLOOD have been confirmed for the second installment of Kansas City Power Metal Fest, set to take place August 14-15, 2009 at The Riot Room in Kansas City, Missouri. KCPMF is the first festival of its kind in the Kansas City region, bringing traditional, power and true metal bands together for a unique lineup.

The festival bill is shaping up as follows:

MANILLA ROAD
AVENGER OF BLOOD
LUNARIUM
LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH
MALUS REX
ZEPHANIAH
ANCIENT CREATION
VANLADE

For more information, visit www.KCPMF.com.

Well done!
This fest should seriously strive to be the US equivalent of KEEP IT TRUE. They are on the right path, and are the only festival that caters to true traditional metal. (Not at all a slam to any other US festival by any means)

Well done!
This fest should seriously strive to be the US equivalent of KEEP IT TRUE. They are on the right path, and are the only festival that caters to true traditional metal. (Not at all a slam to any other US festival by any means)

Agreed. Now I hope Manilla Road will build some tour dates around this and hit the midwest!

Well done!

Then they should have mostly European bands at the US version, since most of the bands at Keep It True each time are American.

Zephania is DEFINITELY worth checking out. Their singer isn't all that special, but everyone else in the band are incredibly skilled musicians. And they're all fairly young. I think only two of the band members are over 21. Check them out on Myspace, then see them live. They can pull it off live - and then some!

With Crystal Logic. And then Open the Gates. If you want the heavier side, go straight to Open the Gates.

Then they should have mostly European bands at the US version, since most of the bands at Keep It True each time are American.

I am 50/50 on this one.
There are TONS of amazing bands right here in the US that would benefit from playing a US Festival. You are right though in that all the great cult US bands play Keep It True! I would love to see a US promoter give the nod to bands like Omen, Manilla Road, Brocas Helm, Cirith Ungol (assuming they would reunite), Twisted Tower Dire, etc, etc.

I am 50/50 on this one.
There are TONS of amazing bands right here in the US that would benefit from playing a US Festival. You are right though in that all the great cult US bands play Keep It True! I would love to see a US promoter give the nod to bands like Omen, Manilla Road, Brocas Helm, Cirith Ungol (assuming they would reunite), Twisted Tower Dire, etc, etc.

Be great if people would turn out for such a fest. Maybe with them all together people would, but a couple at a festival hasn't shown to have much draw.

Agreed, that is why there is no more Classic Metal Festival, BWBK, etc, etc, which catered to showcasing a lot of the underappreciated US bands.

Though these bands seem to do well at smaller scale fests, like Alehorn in Chicago, for example. A one-day festival at a popular city bar.

Diabolik (who posts here) and I talk about how funny it is that we would have to travel overseas to see bands live who literally would be like a 10 hour drive away. I suppose underground metal was always more popular overseas.

Culture is culture. A lot of underground metal bands don't appeal culturally to enough people in an area. Metal bands aren't singing about how they got lost in a shopping mall because their GPS broke. Indie and emo bands do.

Why they don't play local shows to 20-30 people? Ego maybe.

I know a lot of people here dislike metalcore, but lyrically they are more on target than a lot of metal bands, and they are the 'underground' bands with pull. Musically? Well a few good, a lot not. Same with any genre. Being mostly unaware of the success of other 'underground' musical genres I can't really comment, but I'm sure certain ones do well enough here and don't do well in Europe.