Kata- Fanbase? =O!

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I was wondering, maybe i should put this to a poll or something... but...

Do you think Katatonia would lose, or GAIN fan base by changing their style to more of a solo and lead parts along with the rhythms, or even adding orchestrations? I personally think it would be cool to hear KAtatonia with orchestrations but I know other people have different opinions. What they be? :ill:

Katatonia has always more/less stayed simple in guitar riffs and such, katatonia with orchestrations probably would not work, and too many bands do this. but who knows maybe if they had one song with such symphonic elements it would be nice, or at least interesting, to hear

I really dig Nyströms leads. they could be longer though, and more frequent, and also, in some cases, higher in the mix.

about the orch. thing, naa not really needed, but its been done actually, stuff like "The future of Speech" and "One year from now" includes very good elements of that kindo' thing, but still keeping it plain.

i think KAtatonia with orchestrations would be nice, ver nice...not like all the song with orchestrations but you know...fragments of some songs with orchestrations would be really good....

But you like that song, right? What if Katatonia used more of the type of stuff in "The Future Of Speech?"

And what if Katatonia started playing solos?

I didn't think they were agressive, I thought it was kind of a mix... like on the track Wealth, somewhat of a blatant mix of agressive and also calm... very calm.... I like..

They could bust out with the sine wave... :eek:

But what if they had a keyboard player that just played like, violin? And nothing else, except maybe flute and stuff like that? I think that would be great... :O

I'd prefer they keep it going the way it is. Katatonia always manage to put forward something innovative that we weren't previosly aware it could fit their composition.
I'm not fan of the orch. thing, "Future of Speech" is more than great though and that's the point it makes so special, it's one of a kind.

I'd like longer songs, it wouldn't be a sellout at all... But i guess people would compare them with Opeth in that case. It is a bit boring to have verse/chorus/verse/chorus/chorus all the time.

Cerulean said:
What the crap... They should keep doing their own thing, and not something to get a bigger fanbase; hence more commercial.

Who cares about commercial and not being commercial..
the fact of the matter is, is that I dont think they're "rolling in dough" , what ever could help there career (without selling themselves out) would be in their best interest..

I heard Opeth in Best Buy in the states - are they commercial now ?
no sarcasm intended.

Well what I'm trying to say is that a lot of bands lose their authenticity when approaching a wider audience. Once they know what it's like to be very rich, they tend to do whatever people expect them to do. And I don't want Katatonia to be one of those bands.
I'm not saying all bands with success are like that though, I just don't like them to take that risk...

protocolnone said:
Who cares about commercial and not being commercial..
the fact of the matter is, is that I dont think they're "rolling in dough" , what ever could help there career (without selling themselves out) would be in their best interest..

I heard Opeth in Best Buy in the states - are they commercial now ?
no sarcasm intended.

I thought I was the only one to have heard Opeth in a best buy..... :tickled:
Damnation was on the radio......I was so happy for them actually....I thought it was great for them....even though best buy isnt the place they need to be played....and maybe they are commercial now....I dont know....could care less really.....if I like the next one they put out I will buy that too....

As for Katatonia.....they are not rich by any means.....I just want them to do what I know they are going to do,,,,,and that is whats in their hearts....I dont care if its all orchestrated......or if they all play the kazoo on the next one.....I cant see myself being dissapointed in their music......as long as they keep their integrity as musicians.....and they havnt let us down yet....

Cerulean said:
Well what I'm trying to say is that a lot of bands lose their authenticity when approaching a wider audience. Once they know what it's like to be very rich, they tend to do whatever people expect them to do. And I don't want Katatonia to be one of those bands.
I'm not saying all bands with success are like that though, I just don't like them to take that risk...

Haha....have you ever thought that maybe they were doing what they wanted to do.......and that it just happened to be what the wider audience likes?
Look at Opeth.....great band....I like them alot....but an all acoustic CD.....and then touring with Porcupine Tree.....that could be seen as doing what the wider audience would want them to do.....but I think that CD(Damnation)was awesome.....and I gained respect for them because of that CD.
I think that sometimes bands just mature.....and become what they couldnt previously.
I dont know.....but thats my take on it.

Cerulean said:
i agree. if a band get succesful doing what comes naturally to them then great! but if a band purposely alters their sound in order to gain fans, money, success, than they sold themselves out.

Oinkness said:
But you like that song, right? What if Katatonia used more of the type of stuff in "The Future Of Speech?"

And what if Katatonia started playing solos?

I didn't think they were agressive, I thought it was kind of a mix... like on the track Wealth, somewhat of a blatant mix of agressive and also calm... very calm.... I like..

They could bust out with the sine wave... :eek:

But what if they had a keyboard player that just played like, violin? And nothing else, except maybe flute and stuff like that? I think that would be great... :O

Like I said before. The Orchestral parts should not exceed The Future of Speech, and shall not exceed the occasional one or two songs per album. Period.

I'm already pissed that Per is joining Opeth... I don't want another great band to change drastically