Branch out?

Timothy

May 15, 2003
Rockanje, Netherlands
Hey,

The current trend for most bands seems to be that they broaden their sound. Real violins instead of keyboards, added piano, influences from emo or even Opeth (Dynamic use of heavy and light parts in music).
What should Katatonia do? Incorporate more genres and instruments into their music? Personally I would love for them to record some stripped down, singer-songwriter like songs. On the other hand I still find myself reaching for Discouraged Ones, so I would also like the solo-ing to return. In both cases I would like that trademark Katatonia melancholy to return....
More instruments wouldn't really be wise imo. Most 'Gothic' bands like Within Temptation have done that way to much already. It seems like the more instruments are used the more those bands lose their personality. Only exception to the rule seems to be Devin Townsend.
What are your opinions on this matter and should Katatonia broaden their sound?

Greetz

mmm i think katatonia should rather produce new sounds, new music patterns...new melodies..., new vocal arrangements...

their instruments fit perfect for their sound.
the occasional keys add that atmosphere needed for the rythm guitars.

i think i like it the way it is.
no more no less. :headbang:

I don't doubt Katatonia's creativity in doing pretty much anything. The band was built upon melencholy and sadness and that's pretty much what we are to expect. I always thought of them as a more 'in your face' band, kinda stripped down rock so I don't really think that they would go for the overused cliches of violins and stuff, however if they do it, it'll probably be done effectively and fit the music they make. I think production is the 'instrument' they should be (and have been) most concerned with.