Katatonia - Album Recommendations?

Lateralus14

New Metal Member
Oct 16, 2008
I don't really have the funds to go buy all the albums right now, but I'd like to get a little more into this band, so can anyone suggest a Katatonia album besides Brave Murder Day? Currently my favorite songs are Endtime and Nowhere (if that helps), for the cool guitar riffs, don't mind if its in the old growling days or all clean vocals - I just didn't like the mainstream sounding stuff at the top of any youtube search (ie "My Twin")

Oh and with what I have I'll probably try to buy another Edge of Sanity album as well since I really liked The Spectral Sorrows (overall have Crimson/Spectral Sorrows/Purgatory Afterglow) - The Masque was my favorite even though its kinda sludgy.

I dont think you can really go wrong with any Katatonia album. If you like the mid 90's stuff, but don't like "My Twin", I'd say the most logical choice is to purchase earlier material rather than the more recent.

Also, I suppose you could buy one of their compilation albums.

Yah, try buying the compilation first so you could trace the songs that you would like in thier albums. It seems that you kinda liked thier old style. Post bravemurday is the start of thier clean vox era. They're all good actually but they run in the similar vein of "My Twins".(Which i do like too as well as murder).

For Edge of Sanity get Crimson II and Infernal. As for Katatonia check out October Tide - Rain Without End. It was a side project of some of Katatonias members and IMO is better than anything Katatonia ever released.

In this order: The Great Cold Distance (trust me, you are gonna love it even if it is a little more mainstream), Viva Emptiness, Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down.
If you love Brave Murder Day try also Dance of December Souls.
As for EoS don't forget about Unorthodox.

I have two of their albums; Last fair deal gone down and the great cold distance. I am quite sceptical towards TGCD but I really like LFDGD... hmmm

i started with Tonight's Decision then bought Last Fair Deal Gone Down and finally Viva Emptiness. I tried The Great Cold Distance but imo it is pretty much the same as the three i already have. I tried Brave Murder Day but I didn't like it. So, from those three I have I'ld recommed Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Tonight's Decision is also good but less distinctive. Viva Emptiness is a little harsher and rougher. For me it took some time to get into. Maybe that's the best choice for you because it's the least "mainstream" of the clean-vocals era.